Advice on New Setup

Bronze Member
Username: Xristos

Post Number: 13
Hey everyone,

Right now, I'm running two MTX 12" Roadthunder subwoofers (RT12X2A) on a Legacy 1600W amp. MTX says the max on these subs is 600W, but it seems closer to 400. Recommended RMS of 100-200W. Needless to say, I'm wasting a lot of my amp's potential with these subs.

Seeing as Christmas is right around the corner, I'm thinking of upgrading my system, but I'm not really sure where to start. I'm looking for subs that have a peak of around 1000W and an RMS of about 500-600. I'm also looking to only spend about $150-200 per sub.

What're my options? I'm not too big into the world of speakers and I don't want to get jacked around.

I'd appreciate any info! Thanks in advanced!!

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1963
that amp is not 1600w - it is not good
the subs are in the same boat - very low end

there is no need to pay attention to the MAX ratings...just look at the RMS

i would sell all of that equipment if i were you.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 168
^x2 amps pry doin like 400 rms if that n clippin somethin serious. sell that and get all diff setup

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1834
x3

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 142
x4

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
No offense but you guys have gave me absolutely no good advice apart from suggesting that I get rid of all my stuff, which I'm not going to do. I bought the subs for... $150, with an amp. I bought that Legacy amp for $60 off Craigslist. I don't care if the amp is low end and it's not putting out 1600W.

I need to get NEW SUBWOOFERS. Obviously my old ones aren't going to work well with my current amp. I have the amp turned down retardedly far so I can try to keep clipping at a minimum.

But I guess you guys are more interested in telling me how bad my stuff is. How about you give me a few hundred dollars so I can go buy a new setup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Like I said, I'm not very up-and-up in the world of speakers and associated electronics, but it seems pretty far out to say that an amp, even if it's low end, that says it's rated at 1600W, is only putting out 400W RMS. How would any of you know how much power it's putting out? You don't know the settings that I have on the amp or anything.

I didn't buy my current set up to make a high performance system. I bought it as a low-cost system that'll do what I want it to do until I can get a real job this summer. So I'd appreciate advice that's based on what I got, rather than telling me to just junk it. Selling all my stuff would get me no where...

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 148
OH YOU WANTED GOOD ADVICE?!?!?
WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SO?!

well nicky nickster, i went to your house last night and looked at yr amp SO I DO KNOW THE SETTINGS!

(mom has a nice rack by the way)

go to walmart buy a 30 baseball batt...go home, get yr amp..AND FU****CKING WHALE ON IT LIKE IT BIT DOWN ON YR MAN HOOD..MAAANN!

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 149
then stop being a cheap azz and go buy

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=SWR-1542D

powerd by

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PDX-1.1000

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 150
or this would BUMP BRROOOOOOOSKI

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11968860

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12521768&findingMethod=rr

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12518823&findingMethod=rr

powerd by

http://www.kicker.com/warhorse

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2108
^^^ may have been a lil harsh... lol

Nick, look... heres an analogy for ya. say you have a 1990 2door cavalier automatic (or your amp). and you want advice on making it a 10sec car... anyone is gonna tell you to sell the car and buy something that is at least capable of getting your goals. ya know what im gettin at?

we are saying to sell everything and start clean because theres no point in spending hundreds of dollars on quality subs when the amplifier isnt the same quality... starting over will be the best for ya. may not be the cheapest, or easiest, but if you wanted cheap and easy, car audio may not be for ya lol

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 151
^pretty much what i said.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 153
If you arent gonna listen to everyones advice(which is what you should do) and you do go buy some subs. This is good for what you want.http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4281_Alpine+SWR-1242D+-TYPE+R-.html Then save up some cash an buy a good amp.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 169
i only guessed 400 cuz my buddy had a legacy predator 2400 watts and it said 600 rms on the box. n it clipped his l7 to death.

Bronze Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 20
I would say check out the Audioque.com site and/or Ficaraudio.com You can get 600 rms subs there for pretty cheap shipped. AQ amps do well also look into the ED nine.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thank you guys so much for the good advice.

From what I knew of car electronics, you could only clip when your speakers < amp. I figured with my amp, I'd be able to easily get subs with an RMS of like 400-600W and be happy. Even if I had two subs with an RMS of 400W, it'd be better than what I have now...

Sean P., thanks for the link to those subs. My dad knows quite a bit about this kinda thing and seeing as you guys have brought up these issues, I'm gonna talk to him and see what he says.

I guess every forum has their... "douchey" members. I mean I said right off the bat I didn't know too much about this stuff. So to tell me to just sell my stuff because it's "low end" and no other reason is ridiculous and somewhat insulting. I really appreciate the help from you last few guys!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I think I understand now. I didn't realize how amps work.

So amps have an RMS also? And you're saying that, even though it says my amp is 1600W, it's a low end amp and therefore doesn't put out a constant 800W over each channel (dual channel). So if it puts out roughly half of what it's rated as RMS, I can still count on about 400W RMS.

Is this right?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12801
I used to deal with pyramid amps which is what the legacy amp is and 400 watts is probably about what it puts out maybe less...your amp is only 4 ohms mono stable also if you didnt no. If you want to keep the amp and get a new sub id suggest one dual 2 ohm alpine type r 12.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
That's crazy insearchofbass, I was just gonna ask what you already said.

I just looked up the ohms on my amp and found out that, like you said, it's 4ohms bridgeable and 2ohms dual. However, those Alpines are dual 4ohms, which after looking up, I found out can go down to 2ohms or up to 8ohms. So if that's true, can't I still get two and have them hooked up on each channel?

What would be your guy's advice on getting an amp, if my idea wouldn't work? Something that's cost effective and will fit good with two Alpine SWR-1242D subwoofers?

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12802
you can and get by with your amp till you can afford a better one

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12803
honestly id do one sub. If its given the right power it will be loud enough....maybe even with the legacy because to drive two alpines takes up to 1000 watts and thats not cheap and will be more than likely pushing your vehicles electrical limits.... trust me one sub is ideal

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12804
if you want do a single 15 alpine type r

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2111
single 15 - RE SE

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 170
thats wat i was going to say too. look artound for re subs. they usually pretty well priced on ebay. and i hear they sound great

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15589
take a read on wats & wrms

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/speakerpwr.html

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/ampspecs.html ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
The 15" Alpine Type R is probably what I'm gonna go with, seeing as the 12" Alpine Type R is what I WAS gonna go with (but I'd rather have a 15).

What would you recommend for an amp upgrade? I'm only hooking subs up to the amp, so something that'd put out roughly 500W RMS dual channel and is bridgeable into 1000W RMS.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15592
1 15 or 2 ? ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Rovin, thanks for the links. I'll check them out right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
At this point in time, I'd probably just go with one 15". The 15" Alpine Type R puts out just enough power that I wouldn't want two of those, but I wouldn't want to buy two of the 12"'s with lesser power because then I'd need a better amp. I can get the 15" and power it nicely with my current amp.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 159
One type r 15(dual2ohm) will sound realy good,just make sure you put it in a box built to specs or it wont. Id still save up the cash to get a better amp down the road tho.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 164
get a pdx 1000

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2120
^^^ more or same power can be had for less $$$

PDX amps are good, dont get me wrong, but still can get more for less
« Previous Thread Next Thread »