Subwoofer box

Username: Neilholland28

Omaha , NE Usa

Post Number: 1
i got a treo ssx and the web site says to build a 3.5 cu ft box. does the 50 sq in vent mean the width and height of vent or what? and is the f3 the tuning freguency of the port.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21374
50 sq in of vent is the total size of the vent. Say the vent is 5" wide, it needs to be 10" tall to equal 50". If it's 2.5" wide then it needs to be 20". You just need to adjust the width of the port to equal 50" when you take the height into consideration.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2782
"does the 50 sq in vent mean the width and height of vent or what?"

Yes, just your port width and height. Also know as port area or cross area.

"and is the f3 the tuning freguency of the port"

F3 is the -3db downpoint in your frequency response

Fb is the peak output in the frequency.

So F3 is the frequency -3db lower than your peak frequency (Fb) db level.

Omaha , NE Usa

Post Number: 2
ok now when i do the calculations on carstereo.com i do the f3 29.4hz as the tuning frequency and 5by10 port to find how deep the port is, it comes up with a differnet anwser then on the treo web site, it says to make the port 25.25in deep and on carstereo.com it say 33.7in deep? and does the net volume of the box include the port?

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2784
The port is not included when referring to net volume.

Omaha , NE Usa

Post Number: 3
so how should i build the box for my treo ssx 15.2 in a 2000 ford ranger xlt? should i have it facing up or facing my seat or facing down or what? and should i build the box biggger, smaller or what it recomends on the website to make it the loudest.

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 698
it up thats how i had my s10 and for the box build it to specs dont make it bigger ud be wasting space

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2792
If you want it louder I would go with more port area in general. 50 sq" seems like plenty, but I have no personal experience with an ssx to say what works best. I know polo, lil rob, and I think thieves have used these woofers, hopefully they can comment.

A bigger box will make it louder (more efficient) but you will have a narrower frequency range, where as more port area will increase output but too much can make the transient response muddy (like on drum kick bass).

What vehicle do you have? How much power? what music do you listen to? Are you mainly just looking for a loud street beater? any competing?

Sub forward or sub up seems to be the most popular in extended cab trucks.

Omaha , NE Usa

Post Number: 5
hey would 2 10 orion hcca with a orion 5000d or 2 12 with same amp, be a big differnce in loudness in a 2000 xlt ford ranger

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1863
no

Omaha , NE Usa

Post Number: 6
ok what do u think would be louder 15 treo ssx or 2 10 orion hcca on a orion 5000d in a xlt ford ranger

Silver Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Georgia United States

Post Number: 245
the 15 should be a little bit louder..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us