Car speaker distortion at high volume

Username: Sqlover1

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,
I have a sound distortion issue (at mid to high volume) with my car's speaker. currently I have a kenwood ( KDC-MP336AXS) head unit in my car that gives me 22Wx4 RMS out put.
I connected it to 2 pairs of 6.5" speaker, my front speaker: Kenwood( KFC-E1662) 35 W RMS @ 4 Ohm and rear speaker : JVC (CS-V625 ) 30W RMS@ 4 Ohm.
I set the head unit bass setting to zero to have less pressure on speakers at high Vol, but when I turn the volume up to 25 (max Vol =35) the speakers sound distorted !
I also have a new Polk Audio db651 60W RMS @ 4 Ohm which I'm gonna replace with rear speakers .
My question is, what causes the distortion and should I buy an Amp for my Polk speakers ?
Anybody with good experience can help me plz?
Cheers guys

Username: Keengemini

Post Number: 1
man, I'm having a similiar problem. my rear speakers started crackling, but they were stock so i just figured they blew and needed better ones. so i bought the cheap sony xplods and after the 1st 10 mins they started crackling, BUT ITS ONLY AT HIGH VOLUME. so obviously its not the speakers themselves, its a wire issue i guess. but how do we figure it out? someone HELP US 0UT!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jaimish

Post Number: 28
Guys Ive invested in a rainbow Ipaul 4.300 amp and rainbow slc 265 comps and they arent as powerful as my stock speakers ans the setup cost me1200$.. I think its wiring issues!

Username: Hometown_hero

Barrhead, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Whats the THD rating on your head unit? I think kenwood is like .008 THD on their decks so it is probably a wire issue. I would definately suggest amplification on your POLK's.

Bronze Member
Username: Manualrebello

Kalyan, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 14
Normally the amplifier should have a better or more RMS or wattage handling than the speakers, also on the other hand the impedence rating should match with the impedence rating on the car deck, what happens is that when the amp reaches its power peak, it goes into distortion for either of these 2 reasons, hope this helps.

Username: Classiccaraudio

Chico , Ca California

Post Number: 10
you distort a speakers and blow a speakers with not enough power not to much

your speakers are sounding like s** at higher volumes because you dont have enough power for them you need an amp asap

but also you deck does not have the power that you thing it does there is not a deck in the world that has 50 watts x4 even if a lightning bolt hit it but once you get an amp your stereo will sound a lot better trust me

Bronze Member
Username: Bookeeper

Louisiana

Post Number: 30
amp yo sound but make sure you have good speakers 6.5 not good for bass dont over power them using peak watts and set yo crossovers you wud be good try boston acoustics good quality speaker for the price and not that expensive rainbow crap yo

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 31
make sure you got speaker wire 16 guage and the polarity is right too that cause speakers to play bad

Bronze Member
Username: Will4992

NC

Post Number: 78
Man, you guys are ignorant over here in the speaker section. Hopefully a veteran member will stop by and drop some knowledge on you guys, cause I really don't feel like it now. If not, ill come back and post tomorrow.

Barrhead, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 6
Gee thanx Will!! Maybe you can enlighten us with your vast spectrum of knowledge and wisdom. I see you really had no valuable contribution to add to the conversation. But nice work on the lecture makes alot of sense when you don't have a point. Bottom line is the speakers need to be amplified, head unit power is garbage if you wanna have good sound, plain n simple.

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 36
will suck my dick you goat neck ho i know my stuff and my suburban bumping hard ok and i didnt spend over $600 bucks for my whole system i got kenwood mbquart polk punch jensen all up in my systems bout to put the 6x9s in there next week so screw you will will probably got that lanzar boss pyramid bullship hittin off his radio amp lmao dude get a boyfriend and a amp

Bronze Member
Username: Will4992

NC

Post Number: 79
I hope you didn't just refer to Jensen as something high quality. They have some of the worst equipment I have ever seen. If you wanna turn this into a pissing contest, I'm pretty sure my Alpine, DLS, Seas Lotus 350 will sound better than anything you have. I'm also pretty sure my DD crx is louder than anything you have. And steve my hometown hero f@g, i wasn't even referring to you. I agree that an amplifier is necessary, but I would invest in some higher quality components.

Barrhead, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 7
I know you aren't referring to me for your lli wager, but after the "F@G" comment I'll take that bet, F@GGOT! If you wanna compare to what I have for system, you can take your pick I am willing to bet both of mine are far better than yours LOL. My riv's system alone is 6000 watts on a single 12 woofer. Throw down a list of what you got in your rides . I'll do the same, we can have a pissing contest F@G. First you have to remove your wiener from that other mans @$$ so hussle up.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5178
wow. Where to start..?

Ok, as far as the speakers sounding like junk at higher volume..First the speakers are distorting due to poor signal. An Amp can help deliver a clean signal, as can a better HU. Now A speaker amp should have at least 25 watts or more to sound clean with that speaker set up. However, I bet you will get a budget amp, max out the gain, blow the speakers and be in the same boat.

I suggest doing a little research here,
http://www.bcae1.com/

Then posting a budget of what you can afford and ask for suggestions for a decent entry level amp. Then figure out how to set the amp up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us