If...

Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 4
If I wanted a good ported enclosure for my 12 w7 what would you guys recommend as specs? I've been told to go 2.25 - 2.5 ft^3 tuned to 35 hz, then I have also heard good things about going with a dual chamber box. What do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5119
Do you just have one W7? if so, you don't need a dual chamber box.

for the W7 i would go with around 2 cubes @ 35.

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 5
Yeah it's just for one woofer. I was told by having the 2 chambers, it allows for 2 different tuned frequencies so I can have good higher end frequency and then low end for deep bass. Here is a picture of a box a guy had drew up for me. Not sure of measurements but it was built within my restraints.

Upload

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 6
I'm about to get into the process of getting him to build me this box so I just want to make sure it's a good idea to do so. It will be made out of birch wood so that it will be lighter than mdf. If this type of box is not the route to go, why so? If not then I will just go with a normal slot ported enclosure tuned to 35 hz. Thanks guys.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5122
No. You do not want 2 different tuned ports for your boxes. Just have one tuned to around 35hz. Birch would be fine as far as construction. I do believe that Polk has patented this as ARC (Acoustic Resonance Control) and use it in their bookshelf speakers, but is not meant for car audio applications, at least none that i'v experimented with or seen. FYI if you are looking for a box built, we do custom enclosures.

Hope that helps

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1922
where are you located dustin?

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3170
Looks like an attempt at an ABC box. You will be better off with a properly designed ported box for your vehicle.

quote:

Just have one tuned to around 35hz

Do you even know what vehicle he has? What about box positioning? A tuning on paper doesn't mean sh*t.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7719
No...that is an ABC box. There is a local shop here in my area "trying" to build them. They are putting Type-R's, Mojo's, M3's, L5, L7, CVR, T1, T2, P3...pretty much any mainstream sub in them and charging like $350 for a single 15 box...lol.

I have built quite a few PROPERLY DESIGNED ported boxes to replace their 'custom' ABC boxes. Every one I have replaced gained more SPL, better range, and quicker response.

Those ABC's (aperiodic bi-chamber) just sound horribly muddy to me, I have yet to hear one that sounded good. Seems that when the note is above the high tuned port tuning, the lower tuned port trips out and there the sub gets VERY muddy.

Those seem to just be a half assed attempt at an 8th order bandpass using the vehicle as the 8th order chamber. But 95% of the people that design them think the 'normal' way of designing them is right....aka, build a normal 35hz ported box, take half is volume and same size port as the high tuned chamber, then connect them w/ the same sized port.

If you just must have a bi-chambered box, try a series tuned 6th order. But in a trunk car, I would do a properly designed ported box.

Tell me what vehicle you have and what music you listen to.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12563
The one i built was two thirds large chamber one third small chamber. Canaan is right they arent the best at sq.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3171
or spl...

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12566
maybe but mine got pretty loud

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5123
Daniel,

We live in oregon. And pizza pimp, from what i heard, w7'z sound great when its tuned to around 35hz. Heard in both trucks and sedans in multiple positions. But of course, its up whatever the OP wants.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5124
and canaan yea, people refer it be a abc box in car audio but its real name is DCR, or Dual Chamber Reflex, which literally explains its a ported box with 2 chambers. It is in no way a bandpass in any shape or form. For it to be a bandpass, you must have an enclosure on each side of the woofer. You don't have that with a DCR. Polk has patented this design for their bookshelf speakers and called them ARC. so lot's of different names.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3172

quote:

A tuning on paper doesn't mean sh*t.

quote:

rom what i heard, w7'z sound great when its tuned to around 35hz

I never said they didn't? lol
I said tuning a box to just a random number doesn't get you maxium output. You base your tuning on paper to the vehicles shape and the position of the box. I could put a 35hz tuned box in my trunk, and in reality it will be tuned around 28hz or so.

See where I am going with this? lol

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5125
oh ok lol I thought you were hatin on me pizza. I know what you mean.

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 7
Wow, thanks for all the responses :-) I had never heard of such a box before until this guy had brought it up. I wanted to ask you guys since you guys know your stuff before I went through with it. The music I primarily play is harder rock and metal so the sub is jamming to a lot of double bass type beats. However I do play rap here and there and like for it to sound good when I do so. The box I have now was a pre-fab memphis audio box that a P3 was in at one time. I added a piece of mdf to the front to make it hold the sub correctly and have been running with it ever since. The box can only be about 1.25 ft^3 or so and it is tuned pretty high. The sub has been very impressive even in this crap box, it gets plenty loud but the lows arn't low enough for me. Overall I'm looking for the best overall box for the speaker. I'd be happy if someone could make me a solid box since I personally don't have the experience to construct one myself.

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 8
Also, the car it is going in, is a 2000 toyota celica. The trunk space is a little limited but with my max restraints even after taking out for 3/4" wood of a box I had a little over 4 ft^3 of room. I came across a website and emailed the guy about a HO alt for my car. The link is http://www.excessiveamperage.com/ Is this place legit, anyone have experience with them? He said he could custom build me a 200 amp alt for $360. Is that a good deal?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5126
Yeah, we could definitely make you one if your looking to go that route. At a great price too. Shoot us an email at dlaudiotech@gmail and we can work out the details.

and yes, excessive amp is legit, i have seen people have a hard time with them (and having them crap out on them) and others who love their ho alt's.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5127
also, for other HO alternator stores, check out http://www.mechman.com/ and stevemeadedesigns.com

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the info. I sent Mechman a message so hoping to hear back from them.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5128
Yep. Their a pretty good company as well. Like I said, if your interested in a box let us know.

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 10
They've got a sweet alt for me :D

220 amps peak
125 amps by 800 engine RPM
Full output by 1800 rpm engine speed
Competition rectifier
0 gauge cable terminals included
100% new parts (not remanufactured)
Proof of performance dyno sheet
1 year warranty
$449 shipped

It's a little pricey but I'm sure it's well worth it.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 11
Also, I sent you an email to the address you posted. I'm assuming you got it, if not let me know. Thanks again.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5130
Hmm. We didn't get it. Try again. dlaudiotech@gmail.com is DL audio tech@gmail. Look forward to hearing from you! and good job on the alt!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3176
Have fun with Mechman lol. All I've heard are horror stories.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5132
i'v heard both good and bad things bout mechman. Hopefully yours will be a "good" experience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3177
Yeah, it is a gamble with almost any company it seems.

Have you got an estimate from OhioGen? We run one in the van and corey runs one in his truck without a problem.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 12
I'm open for options, I'll check out OhioGen and see what they say. I'm looking for an alt that is good quality and will be the best bang for my buck. I don't mind paying for something that is worth it. I don't need the biggest, baddest alt out there, since I'm not running a whole lot of power, just one that will last and hold up.

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 13
I resent the email again. If it doesn't go through I'll just post it in here haha.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5133
Yea, still didn't get it. What is your email address?

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1812
shawn, have you ever met me before?

i had a 2000 cougar that had the color changing paint. but now i have a 2000 s-10 thats bagged and has flames coming down the side

i am a judge for the MECA shows

who is this person trying to build this box if you dont mind me asking?

and if your serious about having a custom box built i can hook you up, along with a MECHAN alternator, and sound deading, wiring, comps, amps, etc ;)

Bronze Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 14
My email is afanofdeftones@hotmail.com

Dustin, Bassman3, is the one who is going to construct me a box. I don't believe we have ever met but I know we both live in the same area. I'd like to go a show sometime. If there is ever one near here, let me know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us