Subwoofer and amplifier help please!

Username: Paradisesurfer

Post Number: 1
I have a 2001 nissan frontier crew cab truck and have been looking everywhere for a box that would fit my truck. Well i eventually found one online, http://supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=72&catId=135. After doing some research and talking to a couple of car audio specialty shops in the area i quickly found out that they were just trying to sell me whatever they could, with a few recommending the boss diablo d10f 10" sub and others recommending Kicker CVT 8"s. the mounting depth on the box is 4.25 inches and the wholes are cut out for 8in subs, yet several places told me to forget 8 inch subs and the could put in 10's. I don't know too much about car audio and subwoofers, but i do know the basic difference between two 10" subs and two 8". So my question is, what are reliable brands of subs and which subs would be recommend? What amplifier to power them? my approx. budget for it all is around $600, not including the box.

Post Number: 2
What amp would i need to power two Memphis 15-SC10D4 subs?

Post Number: 3
or how about 2 JL audio 13TW5's?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12493
skip memphis subs

Post Number: 4
skip them? any particular reason why? and if that is the case then i'm down to either 1 or 2 jl audio 13tw5's or 2 kicker cvt 8"s. Anyone have opinions??

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2082
if you want 8's then DD1508's

talk to canaan about an enclosure, hes got lot of experience with them

Post Number: 6
canaan? and what amp would i run for the DD1508's?

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 98
If i remember correctly cannan hit like 140 with a single DD1508 in an 6th order bandpass.

And do not listen to william robert.
on anything.
ever.

Bronze Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 75
one JL TW5 is gonna be your whole budget. thats a 600 dollar woofer so thats probably not the way to go.

And another thing.. dont listen to anything that William Robert Joseph Smith Jr. has to say on this forum.

Post Number: 7
ya, that was the only down side to the JL TW5, they are ridiculously expensive. But i think im going to go with two Memphis 15-SC10D4's or 2 kicker CVT 8's. and the $600 is kinda just a rough estimate. for a good sounding system, im willing to spend up to $750 or $800. after all, you get what you pay for. Anyone have anything bad on either the memphis or the kickers?

Gold Member
Username: Turnmat

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1197
Go with the DD's you will be much happier! In comparison the 2 kicker CVT's will not be nearly as nice or as loud as the DD's and they would be a waste of money.

Post Number: 8
I have heard alot of good things about DD's. The only thing is the box i ordered only has a mounting depth of 4.25 in, while the DD TI1508 require about 4.6 inches to mount. and i know that the box can be modified to give it the extra .4 inches, but will it still leave enough air volume inside the box for it to sound good? The company says there is .25 per cubic foot of air space per sub.

Gold Member

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1203
Where did you get the box from?

Pre made?

Post Number: 9
i got it online, and it was pre made to fit my turck perfectly. http://supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=72&catId=135. but the website has a 30 day 100% money back guarantee and they pay for return shipping so if i need too i can always return it and get one built, which sounds like a better option no?

Gold Member

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1205
return it asap. It is a pre made box that is not designed for the subs you will end up getting. Do you know how to make your own box?

If not someone on here can make you a good box.

Post Number: 10
no, im pretty new to all of this. if anyone could make me a box, that would be great. but i want to talk to my local dd dealer first to figure out pricing

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
And if i did end up wanting someone on here to make me a box, how would i go about that?

Gold Member

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1207
You would just have to ask. And they will give you an estimate on how much it will cost and how much shipping will be.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
what amp would i need to run 2 DD 1508's? i still never quit understood the difference between 1 channel and two channels or 4 ohm and 2 ohms?

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 101
An RD1000.1 would run 2 of those well.
Get the DVC 4 ohm and wire them in parallel for a 1 ohm load.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qt y=2&woofer_imp=4

sorry the pic was too big to upload apparently

Gold Member

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1209
x2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Alright. thanks a lot for all your help. I talked to a local DD dealer and got everything set up. They did recommend however upgrading my head unit, which im not the least bit surprised about, but with so many to choose from i have no idea where to start. Does anyone have or know of a head unit that is touch screen and reliable for under $300?

Gold Member

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1211
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pioneer-AVH-P5000DVD-1-Din-DVD-Multimedia-AV-Receiv_W0QQ itemZ160366333455QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item2556940 e0f#ht_3622wt_1165

Its a little more expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVH-P3100_W0QQitemZ190333908814QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCa r_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item2c50c8f74e#ht_1835wt_1165
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us