2 12" RE XXX vs 1 JL 13W7

Username: Nobama_nation

Post Number: 1
So i'm 16 and i just got my 1st car and my licence and all that good stuff. And now its time to put a system in it. I only have around $1200 to spend on it cause the parentals said since they bought me the car everything else is my money.

I'm obviously new @ this so please bear with me. I want a system that will make all my friend's jaws drop cause it is so loud and cool. But i also want it to sound good cause i love music. so both spl and sq are VERY important. So i want you guys to tell me what you think of these subs, recomend others if you want. Tell me EVERYTHING i will need including the box which i know nothing about. Also idk if it will make a difference but i got a cadillac srx so i leaning towards the jl cause it will take up less room in my not so large trunk but everyone i talk to tells me i HAVE to get duals cause their way better. IDK this is a large learning experience for me, and sorry i made this too long, your probably tired of reading my newbie inexperieced post by now

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7290
RE XXX all day.. if you can find the 2004/2005 models.. if so look at around 700 shipped for the pair..

now finding a 3krms amp and having money left over for wiring and a box will be pushing your budget

I would suggest 1 04/05 RE XXX 15"

Post Number: 2
OK after searching through the threads and more research, i have desided to go with 1 JL 13W7 which i understand to be actually 13.5 inches? Anyway all the forums said that the XXX rocks but only 04/05 model and that the new ones suck. Well idk want used speakers and I like the idea of 1 sub so less space. So scratch my earlier quesions and go with these.

1) What amp should i get

2) What rms amp do i need to reach the full potential of this sub.

3) Do i want it 3 ohms or 1.5 ohms. I don't know the difference

4) What is the best enclosure

5) and lastly where do i put it in a Cadillac SRX.

Sorry bout ALL my questions, i'm a true newbie. Feel free to add any details or comments about these speakers. Any and all conversation is greatly appriciated

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11615
Well let's start over bud. With that $1200 your about to spend, it can be spent much more efficiently. No need to buy that sub for $500 when a sub with a price tag half of that, can be suitable for you. Before we suggest anything, what systems have you heard before, if any, and what did you think of it?

Post Number: 3
None just got my 1st car and my license like a month ago. but my friend's older brothers have a variaty of subs i've heard. I've heard Solo X and L7 and they were cool but they ruined the music. I've also heard the 9500 and they didn't sound bad. $1200 is a kinda broad number. its what i thought i would need. i can go up to 1500 but absolutely no more than that. I just tell myself 1200 to make myself feel better.

Silver Member
Username: Billybobjoesmithjr_th_3ed

Southside, TX US

Post Number: 334
My boy Jose he has a nice budget system and right now hes the loudest in Texas...He has 4 Kicker comp 15's and two Sony Explode 2000's hes shattered 3 windshields and one first place at a car stereo show in Dallas

Post Number: 4
Everyone seems to say they like the XXX better but the old ones. I cant find any feedback on the new ones but if the SQ isn't as good i dont want them

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 895
"Willam Robert Joseph Smith Jr GO FU*K OFF!!!"

sorry about that f@g^

but we can get you a really great setup that's loud and has great sq,

kickers are the worst subs with no sq at all!

Kevin has a few XXX if i recall and he really loves them but his a the 04/05 XXX,

how much power are you wanting to run? if its anything more then 1,500rms then you're going to need an HO alt, Big 3 and a run a 1/0 power wire,

I take it you want 15s? or 12s?
and your wanting SQL, and does that $1,200 your wanting to spend, is that just for subs and amp or HU, power wire, rca's etc?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3947
I would save the money on the overpriced JL W7... Or any JL for that matter. If I had to chose one the W6 would get my vote...

Quentin hit it on the nose.. a 1200-1500 wrms setup will be all you should do on stock charging...

1 15" 04/05 XXX would be nice and sound great...
2-15" RD Sonances would be nice as well...
2 Diamond audio D6's
2-FI Q
2- IDMAX or IDQ
many good choices besides the JL... good luck and welcome to Ecoustics

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 898
Thnaks Mark =)

and I'd like to point out the listed setup mark posted can be ran off 1200-1500 rms so you wouldn't need an HO alt.

but if you want i'd say upgrade your batt under the hood and do the BIG 3, and maybe an ext batt in the back and you should be golden!!!

Bronze Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 70
I think that 2 12 or 13 w6's would be nice in the back of that caddy. The 13w7, while it is quite an amazing sub, is very expensive for what you get and you can obtain equal stuff for a lesser price. Now believe me, everyone who has read my posts knows that I am a JL fanatic. I considered getting a 13w7, but dual drivers are gonna be way louder than just one. If your looking to stay below your 1500 dollar budget w7 is not the way to go.

Like i said before, you should run dual w6's either the 12 or 13" in a nice ported box. Make sure its well made custom.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 71
and take Quentins advice about upgrading your ground wires and getting an external dry cell bettery. it will help your power tons.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7291
just buy a used 04/05 XXX.. its fine buying used subs as long as you get detailed pictures.. ask good questions.. and buy from someone who has good feedback

not much out there can beat the 04/05 XXXs .. thats why they are so sought out

for that budget you could do damn good with a pair of RE SE 12"s and solid 1200-1500rms amp.. and be well under that 1200 budget.

or do two sealed SE 15s..

very responsive and clean.. the mini XXX

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 782
RE all the way!

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 783
You should definitely consider Dayton Audio. I have a DA Reference 12" sub for my home set up (they can be used for home or for car) it's powered with a 500w amp from O Audio and it sounds better than a 12W6V2 that I used to have in my car. DA Reference subs have 3 shorting rings in the motor structure - very low distortion. If you got 2 of them and dropped them in a sealed box and powered them properly you would p*ss your pants. If you want even higher output levels you can go with Dayton Audio Titanic MK III, it also has very good SQ, but it's more SPL oriented.

Check out the link:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-404

Go to Parts Express website and make sure you read customer reviews for both of those subs.
Dayton Audio subs are used by many audiophiles in High End home audio and car audio applications world wide. I live in Ireland and I paid over $120 just for the shipping charges for the DA RS sub, that's because I know I wouldn't be able to get a better sounding sub locally even if I spent cost + shipping on it.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7292
dayton does make some great budget equipment

i'd still grab an 04/05 XXX 15" and power it with 1500-2000rms.. if you can find one

i see them floating often

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 784
RE's are lovely, but it will not be easy to give it clean, solid 1500-2000w RMS without an HO alt and additional batteries.

His SRX is an open back anyway, if he gets 2 nice 12's, he'll be moving plenty of air.

If he goes with 2 DA 12" Reference subs he'll need a solid 1000w RMS, so the amps could be:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6865/KS-10001--ARC-Audio-1-Channel-1000-Watt-Amplifie r.htm
I don't particularly like class D, but it's a nice amp.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6555/D6-10002--Diamond-Audio-1000-Watt-2-Channel-Ampl ifier.htm
He can get the 8 ohm DA RS subs to wire in parallel to get the 4 ohm load for the amp

this looks like a good deal, but I have never used US Amps stuff:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p5321/XT16002--US-Amps-2-Ch-1600-Watt-Power-Amplifier. htm

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 785
Upload
Upload

I just had to show off my new Scan-Speaks (on the left)

Some of you might know that that is the driver that Alpine F1 and Genesis use for their flagship components
I have been through a lot of stuff in my audio life (DLS, Morel, Dyns, MB Quart etc) and finally I am getting through all the marketing crap and down to the real High End audio performance

Post Number: 5
I didn't even think about all that alternator and big 3 stuff. I don't have the dinero, or the interest in that cause i'm only gonna have my cadi for 2 years till i get my graduation car. Then i might consider it. So know its kinda down to 1 13W7 or 2 w6s if i can afford 2. How do the 2 sound compared to each other. Which is louder, which hits harder, which sounds better. And feel free to add any subs that are = or > than these speakers that i can afford and that won't require all the engine, battery, and alternator mods. Once again, thanks in advance you guys

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 73
you wont have to upgrade alternator or big three, but let me speak from personal experience here. I run 2 13W3v3's in my car powered by a 1200 watt amp and i have a scion xB. now granted an alternator in a caddy is bigger than my scion, but my amp just dies because it wasnt getting enough current from the alternator so i had to ship it off for repair. running even 1 13w7 or 2 w6's is gonna require a bigger amp and draw more current. so its really up to you if you want to upgrade or not, but I would much rather you be safe than sorry like me :-(

On your other question, I know you probably want a 13w7 bc its like an incredible driver, but getting 2 12 or 13 w6's would BLOW THE PANTS OFF 1 13w7. For one you will be moving a lot more air with two woofers than just one woofer. Many people think that the w6 is better than the W7 for many reasons
1. The w7 uses a foam surround rather than a rubber so it shows wear much easier.
2. The higher frequencies are not as defined with the w7 just because it is meant to hit low and hard.
3. The w7 also does not have that punchy bass that most woofers built for SQ have.

I think the clear option that you really want is the w6's because they will hit hard and reproduce the low frequencies as well as the higher frequencies with ease. I think you would be super happy with 2 12 w6's in a properly ported box, just make sure you get a custom install from professionals please.

Hope this helps!

P.S. For the longest time I wanted a w7 bc it was the best woofer that JL has to offer, but I am on a budget and if youre on a budget of 1500 dollars, you will totally blow your budget!! I had plans to get two 13w7's in a sweet custom enclosure and when my dealer started to do the calculating, i was up to 6000 dollars without mids and highs (just to give you a picture of how much they are).

sorry for the long post.

Post Number: 6
No man, thankyou for the long post. I need as much info as possible. When searching google everyone says 2 W6> 1 W7. It has pros and cons for me cause i think duals will look better and sound better but take up a lot more space. And my best friends older brother in in the car audio business and he installed his AMAZING system himself, and he said he would install mine system for me for free. Now i have to decide on the box. I can't afford a special custom box, so i was just going to buy your average everyday one. I might try to experiment and make one or two in wood shop (LOL i know).My shop teacher said he'd teach me how to make one with fiber glass so it looks cool. But i'm no professional box maker so they will probably sound like crap and just be a good grade that i throw away. BTW i was thinkin of a kicker ZX1500.1 amp. any comments on that.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12485
Ok theres some very good info on this thread but I see one common theme. You want jl and you want sound quality with the output and i heard the jl 12 w6 v2 which is my all time favorite sq woofer so far and if Maris says the dayton woofer sounds even better id definitely consider the driver. I may even order one to do a heads up against two other sound quality drivers i own. Anyway spl wise the jl 12 w6 v2 can easily pull a 135db on 500 watts since on 250 watts we measured it to pull a 132 db in a integra so add a second woofer your at least at a 137 -140 db real world. The 13 w7 may be just as loud or louder but the limited time i heard a 13 w 7 the sq wasnt as good to me either. In my opinion though the dayton reference 12 's would be the way to go. You would have excellent sq and only need to run 800 watts rms which would be fine in your Cadillac on stock charging.

Silver Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

BC Canada

Post Number: 367
im supprised no one mentioned alpine type r, theyre cheap and sound great with 1000-1500watts. u could probly pick up a pair for $250-300 online and then a amp for $400-500, make your own box which would be like $50 max with all the materials needed.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15510
is $1200 fo the entire system or just the bass (subs\ & amps)? ...

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 900
lol i remeber when i was with best buy i could pick up a type R for like $75

<<<<<<< looky 100 to go and i get my gold back =)

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7293
jl isn't worth the money. period.

i don't care if anyone wants to argue that

you'd have plenty of money to run a single XXX 15 on 1500rms.. cleanly.. do the big three and buy a nice battery. you'd have plenty of budget to do so

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 74
I disagree. I would go with the JL if you want good SQ. Also, YOU WILL NEED A CUSTOM BOX. PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN TRYING TO BUILD YOUR OWN BOX!! the reason that the factory specs are listed is for you to use them. if you run too big or too little of a box then you wont get the sound you want and you have potential of hurting the drivers. you need to be real careful about that otherwise you pay for a dead subwoofer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3952
^^^^^^

Upload

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 902
haha wow Mark

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7297
that about sums up my thought on jl subs :-)

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 788
Sean,

Yes, you should definitely try out the Dayton Audio Reference sub. It is built for SQ, but it will pound when asked as well. Make sure you put it in a sealed 2ft^3 box for a Qtc of about 0.7. Give it a clean, solid 500wRMS and you will see what I am talking about. Practilally any driver that has foam surround and claims to be SQ is lying. Practically all high end drivers (mid-woofer or sub-woofer) use rubber surround and practically all of them have copper shorting rings in the motor to minimize the distortion levels.

W6V2 sounds ok, but it is definitely overpriced. The W7 is not that great at all, because with that high of excursion driver you will by all means start getting SQ trade-offs. It is very very hard to design a high excursion SQ driver. If you want it louder, it's better to get more drivers (more radiating area) then to pile it all up on one driver. No sane person needs for than 130db for day to day listening. SPL competition is another thing, use all the W7's you can get, but don't be hoping to get sound that's even near a proper studio reference performance.

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 97
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Fi Q?

Just wondering...

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7301
because the XXX is far superior to the Q :-)

still boo on the daytons.. they are mediocre.. great budget subs.. about it.. same goes for their mids and tweets..

Post Number: 7
I was looking around and it looks like my cadi already was a 150amp alternator so other forums say i can run up to 2000 watts on it. I don't want any more than that. And on a bad note, after all this research, i've only found more contenders instead of narrowing it down. They are the following.

1 JL 13W7 - $600 (Run on 1500 watt amp)
2 JL 12W6v2 - $600 (Run on 1200 watt amp)
2 FI 12" BL Subwoofers - $500 (Run on 2000 watts
2 FI 12" Q Subwoofers - $500 (Run on 2000 watts

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7302
out of that list everyone will agree on the Qs.. although you still had the right idea to start with doing the XXX..

or for less power run a pair of RE SE 12s on 1200-1500rms

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 907
the 2 Qs will be louder then JLs lol and your saving $100 :p

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 78
Yes but JL has better SQ. I still say JL, but I know there are alot of JL haters here so criticize all you want...

Silver Member
Username: Billybobjoesmithjr_th_3ed

Southside, TX US

Post Number: 367
save your monies and buy some Kicker comps

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 909
FU*CK YOUR KICKERS AND THE JLS too!

my Q had lots of SQ in it more than a JL could hahaha

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7303
when you buy JL.. you pay for the name

same goes for Kicker..

I still think you had it right the first time.. I don't understand why you won't go with the XXX lol.. its the best option and was part of what you originally wanted. Get JL out of your head.. makes a great doorstop compared to other subs

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 79
Thanks for making my point Quentin lol

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12512
It really sounds like he wants jl and if you do and you want the most output out of the jl choices do the 13 w 7.

Post Number: 8
I got rid of the XXX cause i hear the new ones aren't that good.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7305
they are good.. better than the w7 by far.. but you wanted more SQ.. the 04/05 XXX was more SQ oriented than the new ones

so.. again ..you will not be disappointed with the 04/05 model

Post Number: 9
Well i would like to thank you guys for all your help. I have decided to go for the JL's which i have gotten mixed anwsers about but i feel they are very biased and the smarter people out their that don't seem to be biased and don't look at the price, say they are incredible speakers. I also like that JL is a large recognized company unlike the smaller internet ones like Fi and RE. so i can always go to a rep or stop by a business I have not decided between 2 12w6v2 or 1 13w7 cause i hear it gets REALLY low and load with amazing sq. plus it can handle a lot more power than the 2 w6s. And in the future if i feel like upgrading, i'd just have to buy 1 more w7 and an amp i would be set. I think i'm going with 1 1500.1 watt amp if i do get the w7 and a 1000 for the 2 w6. So thanks again guys and feel free to keep this thread going. i still have to decide on the type of box which i will attempt to make. And i can experiment by making 2, 3, even 4 of them (i love wood shop class :-) and we can do fiber glass in their so it will look cool too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3963
^^^^^^

re>fi>jl

Congratulations, You have made the total wrong choice for your original question... Good news is you will pay a lot more for the worst subs in your list!!! Thanks for coming to ecoustics. All we needed was another idiot to do exactly the opposite of what the experienced members who have been around recommended (Imean, people who have actually owned most or all the subs that were being tossed around in this fucked thread).

/rant

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21314

quote:

I also like that JL is a large recognized company unlike the smaller internet ones like Fi and RE.

THAT is exactly the mentality that fuels the debate. Marketing over engineering. The largely "recognized" companies have advertising departments, lawyers, sales support teams and major event sponsorship contacts. They know how to sell their garbage because that's what they get paid to do. Exposure to the teenage/and/or uneducated world is crucial to their success. The same can be said about the price. If it's expensive it HAS to be great right? WRONG! When you factor all the BS that has to be included in the price because of all the fluff it took to sell it you realize you just got a bologna sandwich with cheese, for $500.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3964
Thank you Paul... A major reason for Ecoustics' forum is to truthfully answer peoples questions in hopes of keeping them from making the same mistakes that others have made in the past(at least that is the way I see it).. I know that people need to find out for themselves, but I try to keep that from happening... I remember some older threads asking what peoples first systems were... You hear some funny chit!!! Then you hear some people that did it right the first time and you see that helping them does make a difference.. I've been around the car audio game for so long that most of the higher tech equipment just wasn't available when I was driving around in my first car. And the chit that was available was WAYYYYYYY out of most teenagers price ranges.. Technology then,was nowhere near as inexpensive as it is now.. II generally tell local people that if you can buy the equipment locally in a store, then I can find better, much better, for less (or at least in the same price range)... But if you ain't runnin' dem kicka's den you don't know what's up!! This is coming from someone who was running solo X's a couple of years ago... I just had to try.... going backwards... FTMFL!!!

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21316
Yes back in even my day most peeps were running with 500w or less. Car audio was just beginning to blossom. If you had 12's in your car you were considered a big dog lol. The industry was set up basically the same way as today. You had the cheap stuff in trading post stores and pawn shops, as well as automotive stores. Becker was huge in my area at the time. 20 years ago we didn't have this wonderful thing we call the internet. We truly were fools without direction. Today it takes 2 minutes and you can find out everything about anything so there are far less excuses for the fails in your life. It's your money though, and your education.

Man if I only knew then what I know now.......

Post Number: 10
WOW. wasn't expecting that. There are a lot of positive JL posts here. And with everyone saying the new XXX are all SPL and no SQ. Then you guys pretty much said the answer to the original question. Anyway, i don't want fi's. i heard em' wasn't too impressed with the 15 Q. + if i got the 2 12" xxx, then i'd have to upgrade car with big 3 and alternator, which sounds expensive. and i need 1 he!! of a powerful amp for those. and all that for less sound quality of JL.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 128
^^Just listen to these guys,they know there chit. Thats why we come here.

Bronze Member
Username: 2000fordranger

La

Post Number: 50
^^^^....did you not read your own thread?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i read the posts as i get' em. What are you refering too? ^^^

Gold Member

Post Number: 3970
No one said to get a new XXX. Get the 0/4-0/5 model... You can find em used often on the classified section of Caraudio.com and caraudioclassifieds.org .. One of the best SQL subs ever produced IMO..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I had no idea these sites existed or where to find 04/05 XXXs. So after browsing these sites. I have found 1 15" 05 RE XXX for $400. Since i can only put 2000 watts worth of subs in the cadi, i can't do dual 12s with the xxx, but 1 15xxx should sound just as good as 1 jl 13w7. And i read a story that said that the guy who created the 04/05 RE XXX left RE and started FI, and that he promises the Q sounds better and gets louder than the 05 XXX. I don't know if its true, but i've heard the Q, and it didn't sound impressive but i guess i number of things could have caused that like the amp or the box. I'm going to try to order everything @ once this saturday, so i have a big desicion to make in the next 3 days.

Gold Member
Username: Turnmat

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1215
Go with the xxx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
So hypothetically, i get a 05 RE XXX. From what i've read about these, they sound INCREDIBLE, and hit almost as hard as most SPL subs. THis is good. Its 1600 rms so do i get 1 1500 or 2000 watt amp, or is there something in between. And since there is only 1 sub, i can make a big high proformance box. This is starting to sound like a winner to me. Thanx guys for not giving up on me. Didn't mean to p!ss off anybody in the process, cause i changed my mind a lot over this thread but thats just cause i got a lot of different view points and a little bit confused. Can't wait to pull up to school, open the tail gate and let everyone gaze upon that HUGE sub in the back. hehe

Gold Member

Post Number: 3973
You didn't piss anyone off. It is frustrating when people ask for help and ignore or do the opposite.. On this Forum and in your thread only one noob was saying JL and everyboby else including the more experienced members were giving you sound advice... Congratulations... you are on the way to a great little setup..
1500 wrms will suffice.. Kevin can give box specs. I'de go:\
3.5-4.0 ^3 ft
tuned to 30-32 hz.
40-60^2 in port

amp would depend on voicecoil configuration.. Look for dual 2 if possible. Stay away from budget amps for this setup(hifonics,kenwood, ect)... you will want good clean power to make this sub last/shine.

Let us know what VC you will end up getting for furthur help on amps... Later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTM_TpPkHfU&feature=related

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 910
RD 1750 V2 =) power that bad boy with

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 80
the only problem I have with the suggestion of buying a used subwoofer is the lack of warranty. if something happens to the sub and it stops working for some reason, then you wont have a manufacturers warranty. unless anyone knows differently??

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1947
I would do the XXX or Q 15. 2 Alpine type-x subs would also sound pretty good, I like the sq of mine sealed better than many other setups, and has a brand name.

I have never heard a W7 setup that impressed me. Especially for the price.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the American Bass VFL 150.1 for your amp choice. If you can get it for a good price it should easily do the 1500 you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-T1500-1bd-CLASS-D-POWER-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQi temZ300350945233QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item45ee4fb7d1#ht_1218wt_ 1165

New rockford 1500 is pretty sweet amp, wont take up much trunk space and has the brand name you seem to want.

Should still give you a few hundred for box/wiring with any of those suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1948
400 for the RF amp, 300 shipped for the Fi Q, that's only $700 and I would take it any day over the JL. You could afford a well designed and vinyl wrapped ported box.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7308
as long as you know what your doing you should never blow a sub.

so warranty should never be an issue

warranty comes into play with poorly built equipment.. like the sony xplode 2000

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 81
lol. i think he just needs to be aware. i had a bad experience just recently. i guess there wasnt enough current being generated from my alternator so it wasnt powering the amp correctly and the amp ended up at JL's facility for fixing... luckily it was under warranty!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
LOL well that helps me to make the biggest decision i was going to have to make. 2 12" or 1 15". With experiences like that i KNOW i can only power 1 15".... 2 12" would need like a 3000 watts. I just hope that by getting 1 15" i'm not missing out on the sq you get wit dual 12s and the loudness.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7332
more than likely a single ported XXX 15" @ 32hz on 1500rms will be more than enough..

depending on past experience with systems.. you might be in for a shock

Gold Member

Post Number: 3978
Your SQ will be more than fine so long as the enclosure and install are on par. Trust me. Kevin aka ¤Jack_k飣iñgoñ¤ is also a previous owner of that similar setup... You will be surprised... I'll get some flack for saying this, but my 2-18" alpha setup it its current box, is on the same level as my old XXX setup. SQ wise. I was running 2 15" 0/4 XXX's. But it was in a (slightly) more spl style box. My Alphas crush the XXX's output wise. Anyways, I don't want to confuse you. Go with the XXX. You wont be dissapointed. Later.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15530
have sat in a car with 1 15" older moder XXX powered with only 800wrms & it had me feeling loopy since it was shaking my eyeballs & a weird feeling in my throat

have heard a new model 12" xxx off a sundown 1500D - pretty intense as well ...

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7333
Had? I still have a 04/05 XXX 15" .. and a 04/05 XXX 12" .. plus a bare motor..

Such great subs I'll likely never sell them.

If your Alphas and XXXs were the same size output on the Alphas would not be much more unless your running more power to them than you were the XXXs

Gold Member

Post Number: 3979
lol... i'm running much more power to the Alpha's

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 790
JL = overpriced crap

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7334
ditto to maris statement

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15535
crap yall say ?

c'mon dont exaggerate - they make very good stuff but every1 cud agree its a bit pricey

u will notice all their products r designed & made original by them - they dont use mass produced same amp boards or speaker parts like frames\cones\dust cap etc ike others

good stuff its just the price tag ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3992
meh... Jl = overpriced.. The crap part might be a little harsh... There is plenty of crap on the market... I wouldn't consider JL amps in that catagory.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 793
Corolla is a great, reliable car, but if someone told you that it is a supercar and wanted to sell it to you for 250K then you would call it an overpriced crap. BTW, I own a Corolla.

There are many better and cheaper subs available for the price of JL.

Silver Member
Username: Msand951

San jacinto, Ca Usa

Post Number: 198
Go with the XXX . These guys know there sh!t. I asked before And did some research looked at reviews, and sold my Revo to buy a 05 xxx 15. I need box info so i can build it before steve sends out my amp.
But know i have 3250watts of power so im thinking about selling it to get an 18 that can take 3k or maybe 2 18AQs

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7339
buy a second and throw the 3250 at them

Username: Lil_sems

Post Number: 1
ok ok.. im jumpin in here lol. ive had one 12" xxx 05 model and been runnin it off of a hifonics bx2000d .. sh!t definately hits. i JUST came across a second xxx 05 model and i had to get it.. its in transit now, but im not really lookin to buy a new amp just yet. i havent upgrd'd my alt and dont wanna jeapordize anythng too much more than i am already.. am i loosin a lot of production runnin the two off the same amp? how much should they get total for daily driving

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3210
I give mine 1800 RMS. And I'm guessing you have D2 subs so you could get an amp that does 3500-4k at .5 ohms.

But before you do that, need to get an upgraded alternator and I would say at least 2 Group 31 batts. Not cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1943
^^^^that is the system i want.....

i have all of it covered except the 2 xxx 12s

the 9515G will do for now though

Post Number: 2
Yea, i havent did the high o alt. I have a red top under the hood and thats it. oh, and two caps= 3.5 farad.
and snow.. u telln me i should be iight with 2k runnin to both? Im gettn 2k at one ohm right now off one 12

Post Number: 3
and yea, both are d2

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7351
rd 3250.1 :P .. but buy used

Va

Post Number: 5
JACK.. who is rd?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1944
revolustion design.....

i have a 3250. ill sell it for $500 shipped if interested

but you will need to upgrade you electrical when using this amp to its full potential

Va

Post Number: 6
nevermind.. just google'd it. Ill have to look up more and read up on reviews .. but it looks like a beast of a amp

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3211
the newer version is on pre-sale right now for 425 shipped....

and that's brand new.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3212
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15952

Why would you try to rip someone off like that Daniel? haha. pretty lame in my books.

Va

Post Number: 7
daym leeches.... but yea sno.. i checked it out.. daym good deal on a new release but ima prolly hold off till dec/jan.. not gonna do the install untill then.. so i may come across a good deal in the meantime on a good amp.mayb even the rd3250v.1

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1949
im not trying to rip anyone off. im not selling mine for 425.

how is 500 shipped for 3+K RMS a rip off?

also - im pretty sure the pre sale is over as steve has shipped all of the amps out.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7352
personally i would not run the new rd 32501.. :-)

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3219
how isn't that ripping him off?

RD's value has gone down considerably.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7356
there are reasons for that :-)