Hertz vs. Focal

Bronze Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 28
Ok, so I have heard that Hertz makes better mids and Highs than Focal especially for the money. Disregarding the money factor, in the SQ world, Who makes a better mid and tweet? I have only heard the Focal K2P and they sounded quite amazing, but people are saying that Focals are too bright and Hertz is the better SQ speaker??

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2069
hertz > focal.

heard the polyglass's actually the other day and they were real bright. never heard the Hertz speaks, but lots of people love em over on CA.com.

Silver Member
Username: Treez

Its not loud til it he...

Post Number: 437
I cant give a definite answer since I've only played with focals.
Focal- I'd put my money on the utopia's and k2p's...
The k2p's are a bit colored, somewhat bright with slight peaks in the lower midrange. Nothing an eq and rta couldn't fix. The Utopia's have a smooth reproduction, warm midrange and a more neutral signature.

If you main focus is sq and not just a great sounding midrange I'd do a 3-way. Typically a tweeter, 3 or 4 inch midrange and a 7 or 8 inch midbass driver. Although it is more difficult to achieve a great soundstage than with 2 ways, they will produce phenomenal results when done correctly.
A 3 or 4 inch midrange driver allows for excellent dispersion while allowing for a smooth transition into the tweeters with the use of a high crossover point. Nuff tweaking required..

suggested raw drivers (compared to focal utopia and k2p);

Seas lotus W18NX- Midbass is its name... It has far more bass than the focals and will sound cleaner doing it. More of a high definition midwoofer. It's only available in 8 ohm last time I checked.
Seas Excels W11CY- incredible detail and very smooth, very efficient.
Scan speak revelator- incredible detail and a nice midbass punch
Dynaudio MW160- incredible detail, warm and superb midbass output, but laid back
Morels elate 9- are especially inefficient, but superior detail to focals.
Dls Iridium- very very very natural and lots of midbass.

suggested component sets;
Rainbow Platinums
DLS Iridium 6.2i
Alpine F#1 Status comps(unreal sound)
Focal Utopia Be 3 ways,
Dyn 3 ways(system 342)
Morel elate 9
Legiata 3 ways

Seas lotus reference (my favorite component)
Seas lotus reference set- Very very transparent mids. Not as harsh as the focals.. Very smooth..Their level of detail is unreal.. They make recording flaws vey audible. I wouldn't use compressed media on this comp. Best 2 way set for all the available offerings.

All of the above are extremely musical and walk over the focals in every aspect. The focals however have excellent impact and tonality, the dls being its only match in these aspects(IMO).

Remember components cover the major part of the audible bandwidth, so feed them a clean unclipped signal from a decent hu and preferably class AB amplification.

BTW, i ditched 2 and 3 way components, and replaced them with ID horns and a/d/s mid bass drivers.

Goodluck.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

You choose to be ignor...

Post Number: 1440
this type of comparison will always be install and listener dependant.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 31
Thanks for the tips Treez that was really helpful! Now with that said, regarding price, what would be the best bang for the buck so to speak?

Silver Member
Username: Treez

Its not loud til it he...

Post Number: 438
Very true Phil. That's why i emphasized IMO..

813thumper

I'd say

Midrange- cdt eurosports, scan speak revelators

Component- polk sr6500(2 way), dls iridium6.2i (3 way)

www.madisound.com for seas, scanspeak, dynaudio drivers.

www.woofersetc.com for cdt.
Also, try alteraudiousa or exige audio in the speaker section, either of them will cut you awesome deals on cdt and provide feedback on some of the sets that i mentioned earlier. They are both members on this forum.

Bronze Member
Username: Martinlutherking

Post Number: 13
them power akoustik horns is loud.
get them selenium 8s in door too.

Bronze Member
Username: Martinlutherking

Post Number: 15
them ok boys aint what it do.
my kicker get beat by 2 memphis and they cheaper.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12337
its not just all about the subwoofer

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 34
Ok ill be sure to check those out for sure. Im looking to replace my Diamond comps and coax's. Thanks for all your help, especially Treez! :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us