Suggestions on a sound system for my 98' gmc sonoma?(ext. cab)

Bronze Member
Username: Cod1989

Allen Park, MI USA

Post Number: 12
Hello everyone I was wondering if you guys could help me out on a nice cheap sound system (as in subs and an amp) for my 1998 gmc sonoma 4x4 with the extended cab, jump seat in the back on passengers side. my budget is only 400 dollars and im wondering how much bang i can get for my buck. I need 1x Amplifier , 2x 12" subwoofers or one 15" whichever is the better buy, and a subwoofer enclosure for either 2x 12" subwoofers or 1x 15" subwoofer. i'd prefer a ported enclosure but a sealed enclosure works too. i mainly listen to rap/ hiphop and i"m looking for loud bass but sound quality would be nice also if thats plausable. To anyone that replies thank you for your time and effort on my behalf!

Bronze Member

Allen Park, MI USA

Post Number: 13
A guy I work with says he will sell me 2x 12" Alpine Type S's in a Sealed Subwoofer enclosure for $130. I don't know if I can find a better deal for around the same price or what, I've been looking online but I'm not really sure what to look for so I haven't really made any progress, hah.

Bronze Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 13
Well for one thing 400 dollars isn't going to get you alot in the world of big bass or sound quality.

The two twelves are going to produce more than one 15 unless you have a 15 on steroids like the Memphis MOJO. Be careful with a ported box too. Make sure you get the right people to build it for you if you go with custom install.

Alot of people like Kicker for entry level, but JL offers their W0 for a good price and good quality woofer, especially if youre going for sound quality. As far as amps go to power the woofers, JL just came out with a new version of the T.M.A amp that was so popular called the J2 amp and I think if you put this amp with those subs you will have a kickin system!

You can get the two 12W0v2's for 119 a piece factory direct and the J2 500.1 for a fraction of what other high end amps cost. The only thing is I don't believe that the J2's are shipping just yet, but they will be soon. With a good box around all of this I have no doubt that this will sound awesome.

You could also upgrade from the W0's to the W1's if you have the budget. They are only 40 dollars more for each woofer.

Bronze Member

Allen Park, MI USA

Post Number: 14
Ok, thanks for your input. I'll check all of that out online.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3120
I'd go for Type R's off a Sundown SAE-1200D.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2065
yessss^^^^^

Silver Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Georgia United States

Post Number: 163
2 alpine type r's and an Audioque 1200D would work nicely, youll run over your 400 dollar budget though a bit...but youll sound great :-)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4281_Alpine+SWR-1242D+-TYPE+R-.html

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3124
I would go with Sundown over the AQ though.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3880
do they still have the SAE1200 for $189

He could get the RD1000 which puts out over 1200 wrms for $209 shipped if they are still available.

any of the 3 are great deals and equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3881
the sae1200 is discontinued and not strappable. that is why I personally would get the RD or AQ first... But as pretty much everyone knows, sundown does make fine products.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3882

quote:

The two twelves are going to produce more than one 15 unless you have a 15 on steroids like the Memphis MOJO

quote:

Alot of people like Kicker for entry level, but JL offers their W0 for a good price and good quality woofer, especially if youre going for sound quality. As far as amps go to power the woofers, JL just came out with a new version of the T.M.A amp that was so popular called the J2 amp and I think if you put this amp with those subs you will have a kickin system!

You can get the two 12W0v2's for 119 a piece factory direct and the J2 500.1 for a fraction of what other high end amps cost. The only thing is I don't believe that the J2's are shipping just yet, but they will be soon. With a good box around all of this I have no doubt that this will sound awesome.

You could also upgrade from the W0's to the W1's if you have the budget. They are only 40 dollars more for each woofer.

terrible advice. There are much better budget equipment options out there in that price range. As is usually the case with any JL product. No matter what product of theirs that you want to compare.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 43
To me, Jl makes some of the best woofers on the market at least for sound quality. They are just clean sounding with a good quality amp on them. I understand that the JL amps are overpriced for what they produce and there are MUCH better options in regards to price range, but I guess it all depends if your looking to just pound or pound and sound clean at the same time.

You can laugh at the MOJO statement tho. That was stupid.

BUT, i have concluded that the guy above me has made an even stupider remark that is equally worthlesssss.

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 95
The post above you was less than worthless.
He's in debt for stupid remarks.
I'd get an RD1000.1 and up your budget to 500 total. That opens up your options for subs more.

possibly an 18 and a RD1750?

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 59
sorry im not caught up on all the lingo being used here..

BNIB?
JMHO?
can i get a translation please lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3941
brand new in box
just my honest/humble opinion

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 62
thanks for the english lesson lol. jk.

but i think I have to disagree. I have two 13w3's that have more than impressed me with their performance and I bought them new, although it was in a package deal so they were less than original price. But only 300 dollars for that woofer? I think thats a great deal for what it produces. also the 10w7 performs very well for the price. I would agree with you about the JL amplifiers though. For what they produce, i think you can find a cheaper amp that will give you the same if not more power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us