Best SQ 6.5 components for New Versa Hatch System $500.00 budget

Bronze Member
Username: Bellger

Post Number: 11
I'm into SQ mostly and listen to all kinds of music (except country). I'm currently running (1x)JL 300/4 for ft and rr with the stock, NISSAN 4 door speakers. (1x)JL250/1 for sub. 1X 12" Hifonics (looking to replace and need recm'dation for new 1x 10" sub). Kenwood X979 head unit. I'm running this setup now, and sounds decent after X-over and Time adjustments etc (for stock door speakers), but defineately needs masive improvement.

I like a good full, rich sound with good midbass and tight sub sound in a sealed box. I don't like bright tweeters. I used to have a pair of Boston Pro60's in my 95 Probe and they were ok, but could not handle too much bass. I'd like to have a bit more bass (if possible). My budget is 500.00 for front component 6.5" and I'm also looking for a good SINGLE 10" sub that will work with a wedge type box.

Again, SQ is the primary objective.

Thanks in advance.

Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 7
Focal Polyglass 165 VB are good for your budget or save 230$ more and get Focal K2P 165 KR. GREAT speakers either way.

For SQ in terms of subwoofer I would go with JL Audio or Focal. Focal tends to be a little pricier because their demand for subs isn't as high as other brands, but both are made only for SQ.

Bronze Member
Username: Bellger

Post Number: 12
Thanks. 165KR2's are going just under 500.00 on ebay. I've heard the name for some time, but never heard a set before.

Do you have a recm'dtion on which JL sub I should be looking at? I want 1X only and am not sure whether to go 8" or 10" and which model. I never tried anything less than a 10", so I don't know if I should even consider an 8".

Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 8
well if youre looking to stay within your 500 dollar budget with the speakers amp and sub then youre about to blow your budget big time going with higher end brand names. They are the best out there but they do come at their own price.

Personally I think that JL has the best woofers when it comes to SQ. They offer an 8W7 which is actually on sale right now factory direct for 349$ and that is a great sub. Ive listened to 8" before and they sound phenomenal. If you went with a 10" I would consider W3v3 or W6v2. You would be getting more power with both of these subs compared to the 8W7 but with more power, youre going to need a bigger amp. If youre running this in a hatchback I would have you consider two 8W3v3's. These subs in the correct enclosure will really sound great and I think it will give you the power youre looking for in a smaller car. Keep in mind though, with smaller subs, the lower frequencies won't play as defined as larger subs so that could be something that you sacrifice with the smaller subs.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 433
I got these for $260
The new audiophile component set from Rainbow impresses as a perfectly integrated system with its unique combination of an aluminum die-cast woofer with aluminum compound cone and a sound coated silk dome tweeter.
The selection of the material components of this component set guarantees optimal sound performance that meets every challenge.

Peak Power: 150 Watt
Power Rating: 100 Watt
Sensitivity: 90 dB 1W/1m
Frequency Response: 55-30,000 Hz
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Crossover Slope: 2x12 dB/Oct.
Crossover Frequency: 2,200 Hz
Thermal Protection: HALO + PTC
Mounting Depth w/o/w Ring: 65mm/64mm
Tweeter Mounting Depth: 16mm

$260 shipped everybody knows what rainbows about save the rest and spend it on a Box Some Subs or a savings account
call me 804-386-3088 LIL J

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 762
I would definitely look at the RE XXX components available from www.woofersetc.com:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p4928/XXX65-COMP--RE-Audio-65"-2-Way-2-Ohm-XXX-Series-Component-Set.htm

They are using a woofer made by Adire Audio and it's a split coil design. It's very nice woofer with a very large linear excursion. I'm not sure who makes that tweeter, however, if RE went with such a nice woofer I'm sure that the tweeter is up to speed as well. The set is on a serious sale, so it's a steal. I realize, RE is not a very popular choice when it comes to component sets, but I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the performance of that set..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us