What gauge of wire?

Username: Blaked

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new setup, and the amp is a 650 watt amp.

I already had a 8 gauge wire ran for my last setup, but this new amp they recommend 4 gauge connections. So should I try to run 4 gauge? Or can I use my existing 8 gauge connection?

Username: Xxemoxx

Hermosa beach, Cali

Post Number: 4
Run at least 4 gauge, think of wiring like a garden hose, the small the hose the harder it is for the amount of water you need to get through. The larger the hose the easier and smoother the flow, same works for power wire. I get a lot of crap from people for running 0ga. wire.

Well with 0ga. my power stays more steady, my amps run cooler and at anytime if i want to upgrade i am already wired up and set to go.

Just remember the always try to find a amp kit that is 100% O.F.C.

Username: Blaked

Post Number: 2
Ok, I fount 2 at crutchfield but one says it handles up to 400 watts, my amp is 650.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA41/EFX-4-gauge-Amplifier-Wiring-Kit.html?tp=29 19

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211PSKA4R/StreetWires-Power-Stream-PSKA4R.html?tp=2 919

Are those good? And will they work?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10670
Avoid the scoshe efx stuff, its mostly crap

Bronze Member
Username: Xxemoxx

Hermosa beach, Cali

Post Number: 13
Never had a problem with Streetwires, right now i run there ZN9 interconnects and they are amazing, for wiring I prefer the stinger hpm line personally although its costly.

Just make sure its not copperplated alum. wiring and your pretty much good to go.

BTW woofersetc. and ikesound.com both generally seem to have better prices then crutch field and for parts like amp kits i don't think it really matters where you get them, as they are not something you need to worry about warranty on.

Username: Mjhbigelow

Calgary, Ab Canada

Post Number: 2
Amp kits are usualy rated by wattage. 0-500, 500-1000, etc and the wires are sized accordingly.

However, if your amp is rated for 600W, that's probably the peak power, not RMS.

In my experience, 8 gauge is sufficient for most amplifiers (under 1000W). The key is your ground wire. Better to have a larger GND than Power wire.

The system is more like an engine than a garden hose. where power wire is air intake and GND is the exhaust. More power can be generated from same engine with a larger exhaust system...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us