JL vs Fi vs Memphis

Username: Redjayy

Post Number: 9
Hey guys, I'm looking to put a system in my tahoe. Its my first time doing it and I want to do the majority of it myself. I'm having some trouble chosing a sub that will be suit me, but I'm pretty sure all 3 will sound and work great. The debate is between a JL W7, a Fi BL, and a Memphis Mojo, all of those being the 12". I've only heard the Mojo (and i think before my decision I will hear a W7 too, I'm not sure where i could get to listen to the Fi)and really liked how hard it hit and how it sounded and am looking for something to match that or better. I think im going to use an Alpine PDX 1.1000 or a MRP M-1000 to power the setup, depending on which sub i get. Thanks for looking and giving me your opinon

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2993
bl on 1500 watts is a nice combo .. 3.5 cubes to 32-35 hz ..

Post Number: 10
Isn't 1500 watts a little too much? I thought the RMS is 1000.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4967
the w7 is 3 ohms, so you would need the pdx amp to run that.
Out of those 3...
W7
BL
mojo

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15477
google 12" idmax ...

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2056
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17270

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2057
just realised you were wanting a 12...but a 15 would be nice in that tahoe...especially the one above, but if you want a 12" then

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17267

great SQL sub...gets loud and maintains SQ

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
yeah and I'd definitely be up for a 15 like with the Fi cause it stays at 1000 watts rms. But with a Memphis 15 or JL 13.5 it bumps up to 1500 and idk if the charging system can handle that with the stock bat and alt. And im not so interested with the classifieds cause im looking to have a warranty that i can depend on.

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 788
I'd buy two memphis subs....

One to shite on

One to cover up

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1938
The BL will handle 1500w fine. I upgraded my tahoe's battery as soon as I got it, but after that the stock alternator held 1500watts fine.

I have heard all 3 and would take the BL any day. It sounds like you just want it to sound decent and get loud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
yeah thats exactly it, and im not sure what kyle is talking about

Silver Member
Username: Dangeranger

Ohio United States

Post Number: 133
that he wouldn't go with memphis lol

Gold Member
Username: Turnmat

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1113
thats kyle for ya. I would go with the BL. If you were going with a 15 i would def pick the tc sounds up.

Username: Xxemoxx

Hermosa beach, Cali

Post Number: 8
I like the JL 13.5w7 its got great S.Q. tight and reponsive but also holds spl well, or if it was me personally i would be looking into 2 12w6's or 13w6's.

Alot of people around here that i know that are doing S.Q. comp now run RE stuff but I personally dont think R.E. is as tight and responsive on the S.Q. level as JL or some of the Memphis and ADS stuff

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 793
Yes they are right about me not going with memphis.

I wont deny the W7s on top notch SQ and pretty dam good output.I think they look cool too. But you can get more bang for your buck with other companies.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3847
bl
w7

MOJO

in that order.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
lol Mark, and i was considering 2 W6's, i like it cause its not such a weird ohm load like the W7. Will it hit just as hard as 1 W7 or BL? The only reason I'm skeptical with the BL is because I cant hear it in someones car before I purchase one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3849
The W6 line is the only JL sub I would consider. But take our advise. The BL will not be a dissapointment. Fi is a solid company. Just youtube some bass vids with keywords Fi BL and see what you think.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Haha dont worry I have. Okay, im gonna give it some thought. I'm sure I wont be disappointed with whatever i go with, thanks alot everyone for your input

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 796
W6s are a good line too. Have you considered diamond D6s? Very good solid subs as well, great SQ and output. What is your over all budget? Have you upgraded your speakers and HU yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I'd say my overall budget us $1500 or less. And I haven't upgraded anything yet cause I'm planning to do it all at once. I think I'm gonna use an Alpine 9886 HU and some Type S speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1939
I would look at some other head units if you can, I had an older unit (9831 or something) and tried the 9886 just to be very dissappointed. I put my old h/u back in and put the new one in the wifes car.

I have installed several W7s and never been pleased with them. The owners did not provide (or pay for) a really nice enclosure, but the one I heard sealed still did not have much output and just did not sound like I would have expected for the money. You could buy 2 12" BLs for the cost of a W7 most places.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Yeah thats why they seem so appealing cause they're so cheap. Would you guys suggest some amps to power one BL. I think I want 1000-1200 watts cause I don't think my cars charging system can handle anymore than that and I definately do not want to upgrade it.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 804
JVC and kenwood have some very user friendly HUs.
KD-R900
KDC-MP6424

AQ1200

2 D6s

ported box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Okay, could you give me a link for a AQ1200? What about a Hifonics? I know they make some 1200 watt amps, or what about a Sundown Audio SAZ-1500? And i truthfully was a little skeptical before about Fi, but im beginning to come around They seem like a good company and i think im gonna be pretty happy with a 15" BL

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 810
http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

the saz is good as well

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
okay and you think my charging system can handle a 1200 watt amp?

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 815
Yea I should in that truck, Get you a nice batt 1800 and that should be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Georgia United States

Post Number: 151
a batt wont be necessary. my accord has a 40 amp alternator and runs my AQ1200 nicely.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't need one. Do you have a cap or anything?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3859
ummmm. You might think it runs the AQ1200 nicely.. But if you powered it properly you would instantly know the difference.. I would also check your voltage drop with a DMM to see if you could be on the borderline of hurting that amp. Of course that depends on a few other things (gain settings ect..)

Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 1
Those are very different subs that you have there.
W7 is going to be more of a sound quality sub where the mojo is gonna knock your socks off. I would stay away from Fi because they are now out of business and don't offer warranty on their subs (as you can imagine). I am not saying that the W7 won't impress you in terms of SPL, its just not made for SPL.

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 2
Don't run a cap!! its basically useless. get a dry cell battery instead.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4976
" stay away from Fi because they are now out of business "

?????
did i miss that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Yeah I've never heard that either.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4977
Jonathan Sturch ,
A real OG

Upload

Tampa, Florida -- Three teens have been arrested for allegedly using homemade acid bombs to damage the exteriors of homes in northern and northwest Hillsborough County.

"The devices were fashioned out of plastic bottles, caustic liquid, and other materials and placed on front porches and sidewalks of homes," the sheriff's office said in a statement. "In one incident, a homemade acid bomb was placed on a vehicle, erupted, and damaged the paint. In all incidents, the devices exploded and damaged property."

Investigators were able to lift fingerprints from some of the bottles, leading them to the suspects.

Charged with discharging a destructive device and felony criminal mischief are Jonathan Sturch and Jesse Klye Lavallee, both 19 and of Tampa, and Jason Wesley Hall, 17, of Lutz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3861
even if it was true (and I don't belive it is) I would still take any Fi sub over Any Memphis sub. Hands down. I have never heard a Memphis substage that I was impressed with.. Even our local Memphis dealers' demo ride was not impressive. As a matter of fact he admited that my current setup was louder and sounded better with less power than his 4-15" Mojo setup. His dad (owner of the shop and vehicle) replaced all four subs because "something just has to be wrong" with them. After the swap, he was even more pis_sed. His son laughs at him all the time. His son told me that when I'm visiting the shop he changes the way he talks to customers about Memphis as opposed to me not being there. He don't want me to hear his lies. Memphis subs just don't cut the mustard IMO.. .

Gold Member

Post Number: 3862
AWWWWW man!!! ROFL..

We have a local celebrity in our presence..

Gold Member

Post Number: 3863
even if it was true (and I don't belive it is) I would still take any Fi sub over Any Memphis sub. Hands down. I have never heard a Memphis substage that I was impressed with.. Even our local Memphis dealers' demo ride was not impressive. As a matter of fact he admited that my current setup was louder and sounded better with less power than his 4-15" Mojo setup. His dad (owner of the shop and vehicle) replaced all four subs because "something just has to be wrong" with them. After the swap, he was even more pis_sed. His son laughs at him all the time. His son told me that when I'm visiting the shop he changes the way he talks to customers about Memphis as opposed to me not being there. He don't want me to hear his lies. Memphis subs just don't cut the mustard IMO.. .

Silver Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 158
The JL may cost more but it is worth it in my opinion. One thing to consider is, the w7 calls for a very large enclosure. When you have the weight of the sub and box together, it will be very heavy and bulky. To compensate for the 1.5 ohm load of the 13 w7 or 3 ohm load of the 12 w7, go with a JL v2 amp. If you go with the 12, get a 750/1, if the 13, a 1000/1. JL amps make all the difference. They may not be the most efficient but they pound good and hard and hold their RMS in a wide variety of ohm loads.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 16
That was uncalled for dude. not cool

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10677
lmfao marc

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4979
"That was uncalled for dude. not cool"

Terrorist.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3892
Shiit Jonathan, you shoulda called me. I would have bonded you out!

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4227
alpine pdx amps are very nice.
i think i would go with 2 FI Q.s is i went fi.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 822
i loved my Q lol

Bronze Member
Username: Captainobvious

Post Number: 20
JL is expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts