911 installation

Username: Rollandburn

Post Number: 7
Well, thanks for the help and advice last summer. I came here looking for expertise concerning a complete install in a Porsche 911 and think I did pretty good gathering adequate gear based on the feedback I got. The resulting sound however is quite embarassing....

Currently installed are...

- JVC headunit w front/rear/sub preouts
- Rockford Fosgate Power1000 amp
- MBQuart QSD216 6.5 components
- MBQuart RSH254 10" shallow subs

In a large nutshell I complain about the following...

1. clicking or chirping sound coming from the 6.5's in the doors. It's the exact same sound as a 'digital' skip in a CD... but the CD is not skipping. My friends initial judgement was that the speaker was blown... I don't think so. The sound is present and follows volume down to very quiet... is in both speakers.... can be heard during a split second when there are no beats, or at least a beat you'd expect a blown speaker to react to. Very odd to say the least. I think the CD player in the headunit is toast but will have to try an ipod to confirm. In an effort to create the best sound possible I deadened the doors inside and out. I know ultimate sound requires me to separate the door cavity from the air inside the car by covering all the holes, including the large ones (with plexiglass or sheet metal) but I didn't go that far... just the little ones. At any rate I'm sure it's not coming from inside the doors and it is coming from the speakers themselves.

2. The subs, gawd... all that time and effort haha. I made the box completely out of fiberglass (first time) and made sure to quadruple layer the sh!t out of it to avoid any resonance problems. It's solid, weighs a ridiculous amount. With the two (shallow) 10's in it I can barely lift it myself, it's a struggle anyway. Each chamber is .5cu ft. as called for by the specs when using the subs in a sealed enclosure. I stuffed in as much polyfill as I could without compressing it too much... I think I used 10 oz or a little over half a 'bag'. Initially the two subs shared the same airspace via a small channel but with the dismal sound output I wondered if there was some cancellation going so I dropped in a divider to separate them and sealed it up. No change.

The subs would jump in and out to the point where I could hear the voice coil smacking the magnet as clear as a bell, but there'd be no sound. It was as if the subs were hanging in free air. There are no air leaks. I'm not sure if the box volume is the cause, maybe the subs were DOA, the cabin in the car is too small, the subs are too close to the seats... I dunno. I'm stumped.

I threw a friends competition 15" in the back seat to make sure it wasn't the amp and almost shook the teeth out of my head.

One thing I did notice (with the 10's) was that opening the doors would increase the bass response noticeably, still.... not what I thought two 10's should do, sealed box or not.

Here's a shot of the box after I cut a hole in the top to drop in a divider. This was about 4-5 layers of glass at this stage... I put 3 more layers of heavy glass on after this.

Upload

The wiring is as follows....

Upload

Nice drawing but that's about it haha..... maybe I have it tuned incorrectly but I don't think I'm (and all my pals) are that inept. You never know though... =] Any ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us