Fiberglass

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 428
So I was helpin a buddy fiber glass some door pods last weekend and we were kinda ramblin how easy it is if ur not an idiot.
So I thought why couldn't we just fiber glass some bumpers and side skirts.
And why haven't I seen it before?
Is it just not practical?
Would it scratch easy or should I just go for it?
I figure I could just do piece by piece and eventually replace or cover up the whole exterior. Which leaves alot of possibilities for the imagination to go crazy

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1171
I have seen it done. Idk if it is practical or if it would scratch easily, but it could be cool.

The one I saw looked kinda crappy though. I couldnt tell if it was built well, because it was a picture, but the design just looked stupid.

I say go for it let us know how it turns out.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23503
fiberglass would break real easy if you were to hit something even slightly.

don't do it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
ya i figgured it might break kinda easy. maybe buy some carbon fiber? i just wont hit anything. and if i do, i can make a new one ;)

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 85
carbon fiber needs to be vacuum formed and baked so if you have the resources, by all means do it.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3350
As expensive and time consuming as it would be, just buy new panels and paint them yourself...

Not very practical IMO but I wont stop someone who wants to be creative and try something

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6536
it will scratch easy, if you want it to be alot stronger use some west system epoxy instead of polyester its way stronger. use a lot of strong biax mat and do several layers and it will be strong. this will turn out to be pretty expensive though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
ugh, damn. well the point in doing this would be to be completely different and transform the car, so just buying a set of skirts and bumpers would defeat the purpose.
time isnt an issue, i rather it take a long time actually. nice project to spend time on.
as for money, i got nothing else to spend it on, and this is kind of an ambition of mine. so im not to worried.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c&feature=related
would something like this help? maybe after a couple layers of fiberglas? also maybe use a different top coat, one that would be tougher to scratching.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3352
I think its creative and all but what kind of things are you trying to do with this? Skirts and lips with some flair or something like the fake air scoops on the side of the car?

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
well i got a good idea in mind for the skirts to really make the under glow pop. i kinda want to make a sort of wide body kit. big cool lookin front bumper with some nice fog lights way out wide on the car. as for the rear bumper idk yet. dude no scoops. i think they look funny. ill be installing a moonroof eventually. i kinda want to experiment with like the outside door paneling too. put a couple coats on, maybe a design underneath, make it look sleek. nothin fake. lol

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7276
fiberglass cracks too easy for bumpers.. they do make them quite often but i would never own one

to save time and money.. you'd be better off buying a redone kit.. the time it will take you to perfect anything and have each side match takes a long time and lots of editing

IMO.. just not worth it.. you'd be better off taking parts from another car and hacking them onto yours if you wanted to me unique haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us