Someone help me pick out speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1559
well i got my HU amp and sub all picked out and ordered. now im gonna deal with the rest of the car. ive never put speakers in a car so i dunno anything at all. im juss gonna go with co-ax cuz i dont wanna deal with mounting the tweeters. and if i replace the door speakers should i replace the 6x9's in the back? im completely new to speakers so any help would be good. i wanna run em off a amp not juss HU power. not sure how much i wanna spend yet. i wanna get an idea of what the price is gonna be then ill see. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1928
1. components > coaxils all day
2. leave the rear speakers stock
3. do you already have an amp to run the new speakers? if so how much power is on tap?
4. without knowing a budget its hard to suggest anything. PG comps can be had for less than $70, or higher end comps can go up to $1000. i doubt your looking for the high end comps by reading your post.

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1560
yea ive heard that bout comps but i juss dont wanna have to put the tweeters anywhere whered id have to mod/drill. no i dont have an amp yet and id say 300-400 for speakers and an amp? that sound reasonable? or do i need to spend more?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5052
to be honest, for a GOOD/GREAT sounding system (highs) you need tweeters. It's not hard to install them in your door man. we could help you out as well.

300-400 is a good price range for a amp/comp set-up. I love my a/d/s 346 cs components if you wanna take a look at those. There are many comps out there on the market tho.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1930
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15336

for the amp. its a solid amp and puts out a good amount of power, however i dont need to tell you this cuz its a Sundown SAX 125.2

that leaves roughly 250 Max for speakers..which is VERY do-able. talk to exigeaudio about some CDTs. If not cdt then there are plenty of speakers in that price range that will be good.

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1561
aight i will look at some of those. but i got a question, how can you tell about the ohms and what kinda amp you need? i would be able to run all 4 speakers of that sundown?

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1935
i would just run the front speakers off the amp and leave the back speakers on the HU, or un hooked, you wont hear them anyways. Use the sundown at 4ohms with 125rmsx2 for the front stage.

what kind of amp will you need? it all depends on budget, overall goal of sound, speakers. however, with the sundown, you will be able to power a good set of comps and with a budget of 225-250 for the comps, it can be do-able

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1562
so your saying juss leave the back door speakers stock?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1563
i dunno is that what most ppl do? seems like it would throw the sound off. maybe not tho...

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1936
most people keep the rear speakers stock... it wont throw off the sound at all..

think of a concert, where does all the sound come from??? the front of you. they dont have speakers in the rear because THAT will throw the sound off..

you want to turn your car into a mobile concert hall. so leave the rears stock.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1937
also, in my truck i will be leaving the back speakers stock... why? because i have about 200rms going to a comp set. i highly doubt even the rear passengers will be able to hear the stock speakers with soo much power going to my front stage. Another thing to think about is that subs are in the back so they usually cover the rear stage anyways.

just some things to think about...

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1564
yea that does make sense i guess i never thought about it like that lol is there a way to install your tweeters without drilling or modding?

Silver Member
Username: Jd93kid

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 144
i kinda had a similar question.. as king of cleveland.. in my truck i have dash speakers and door speakers should i put comps in both or just the dash speakers or just the door speakers or what?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1565
GTFO make your own thread.... juss kiddin man lol.... but seriously....

Silver Member
Username: Jd93kid

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 147
yeah.. sorry.. i was just wondering.. and i would've made my own thread.. but i didnt want to start one on a very similar subject and then ppl just link me to this one..

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15368
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/rearfill.html

get the comps, u wont regret it & dont be lazy to just use some 3M double stick tape to surface mount them

DLS makes some really good comps ......

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10645
Really how hard is it to use a drill with a hole saw.... 30 seconds and you've got a perfect location to mount tweeters

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1566
well my mom juss bought me a brand new car and dont think shed like me juss drilling holes in it lol but yea i can juss 3m tape em up somewhere. so pretty much i have my subwoofer, and juss add front componets and i should be good right? i juss want a good sounding stereo where nothing overpowers another.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15369
yep a gr8 sounding install doesnt need to be complicated

usually behind side mirrors inside most cars there is that lil triangle shaped piece of black plastic which is a common spot to surface mount tweeters on to

what sub & amp did u order for it btw ? ...

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1567
its a 12" mach5 IXL in a box tuned to about 30. and the amp is an rd 850. thanks for everyones help guys i really appreciate it. and im sure itll help other ppl out there wondering the same thing

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2631
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2009-DLS-MS6A-6-5-2-WAY-Components-System_W0QQitemZ36017 8818363QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item53dc549d3b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have a set of these in my truck running off a Clarion 125wrms amp and they sound amazing! Best sounding comps I have heard personally. The mids have very tight punchy bass and the tweets are very detailed.They get loud and sound amazing but they are not "harsh" like some comp sets. Believe me though,they are loud and clear and for that price IMO you probably wont find a better sounding set.

As for an amp,cant go wrong with Keeker!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-ZX350-2-CAR-AUDIO-350-WATT-2-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER_W0QQit emZ130324958270QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item1e57f90c3e&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14

Maybe try to find a used JL 300/2 or something along those lines. As long as it does at least 100x2 @ 4ohms you will be good. Although Im giving mine 125wrms and they do fine,so anything that does between 100-150wrms.

Hope that helps man! Most people will probably agree,you cant go wrong with DLS!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us