Alpine vs JL

Username: Redjayy

Post Number: 1
Im planning on putting 2 12" subs in the back of my SUV, and for months I have been planning to go with 2 Alpine Type R's, but now I am wondering if 2 JL W3's will be better? Is there going to be such a huge difference between the 2? Please help.
And Im looking for a good mix of both SPL and SQ, Id like to shake some windows sometimes, but others i just like some nice bass. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12013
The type r's would be louder and sound decent doing it.

Silver Member
Username: Jd93kid

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 124
yeah i'd go with alpine.. they've done me well..

Post Number: 2
Okay, are they pretty much the same thing? Or is the Alpine louder and the JL cleaner?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6820
louder, type r.
better sounding, w3.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11558
I'd take the W3 over the Type R but that's just me. I just don't like the Type R though.

:shrugs shoulders:

Bronze Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 39
Ive had both, But id have to give the edge to the type r, they were louder an just sounded cleaner to me.Idk, thats just my thought.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6821
you must have had a very poor install with the w3s' to think the r sounded better.

i've also had both, ran them in pairs sealed and ported, and ran them singles sealed and ported. w3 hands down has them in sq.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11559
I'm with Mike. I've heard both set-ups multiple times and the W3 beats them in sq without a doubt in my book.

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 796
Well it depends on what version w3 you have in mind. Im assuming the w3v3 (in which case agreed with Mike and Yanks), if it were a v2 or a v1 then type r no questions asked (in my opinion the original w3 was just garbage).

But I have personaly owned a w3v3 and heard/installed quite a few Type-R subs and the w3v3 wins sq hands down. Overall loudness, Type-R.

Bronze Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 41
Yea they were the older w3s, but he said he wanted a mix of shake your windows an nice bass. So i figured the type r might be the way to go imo.

Post Number: 3
Is there such a difference between the 2? Like is the W3 SO much cleaner and the Type R SO much louder? Or are they pretty close?

Username: Malibusystem

Post Number: 10
i doubt there will be a HUGE difference, but there will be a noticable difference, w3 more for sq, type r less sq, but more spl

w3 = sq
type r = sql

JMO

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1925
there will be a huge difference.

type-r is wayy louder
w3 is way cleaner

...in optimal enclosures.

if you are looking for a loud, budget, daily driver...then type-r all day long.

if you are looking for an sq oriented sub that wont rattle your brains out, but will give a good precise reproduction of the music, then w3

Bronze Member
Username: Malibusystem

Post Number: 14
^^^^^ may be right

heard the w3 sounds VERY good to me

not heard type r, just going from what i hear

Post Number: 4
okay, well i think im gonna end up going with the Alpines, a shop here said they'd give me a great deal and I was planning on using everything else alpine in my system too, Thank yall for the help

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1948
an all alpine system? nice!

have you thought about your front speakers? are they stock? aftermarket? (if so what kind?)

Post Number: 5
well im driving a 2007 Tahoe LT, and the front and back speakers are stock bose... But they kinda suck, so im gonna replace the front with Alpine Type R or Type S Component and the back with R or S Coaxial. Im thinking the Type S because I dont think im going to have a speaker amp (unless i can find a kinda good deal, any suggestions?) right away and the S's will handle the power from the headunit better.

My plan is:
Headunit- Alpine 9886
Speakers- Listed above
2 Alpine Type R 12" in 32-35hz tuned box
Alpine MRP M-1000
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us