Can anyone help me with my box?

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1540
well im gettin a 12" mach 5 IXL and a rd 850 and i need help drawing some box plans. its gonna be 2 cu ft tuned to 30 hz. i wanna make the best possible box for this sub. so i wanna put 45's in all the corners and all that stuff. can anyone help me draw up some plans? max dimesnions are H-13.5 W- 36 and whatever for depth. thanks guys

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1541
scratch that, say 14 for height

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5039
you should try to mess around with the program "google sketchup". its really nice and easy to get the hang of. Plus its a good thing to know how to use when your making boxes and such. Have you tried designing one on your own?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1543
well i wasnt sure how to find like the port length and width and stuff like that. and i tried sketchup but its juss hard to use especially when tryin to to complicated stuff.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5040
on how to find the port length and width on sketchup? or just in general for your box?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1545
just in general lol ive always just had someone draw the plans up for me but he hasnt been on aim for a while lol

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5041
have you tried

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1546
is there any special width or length for the port depending on the sub or you just tweek it to be what you want? does a longer or shorter port do anything? wider or thinner? thanks man

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5042
Yea, just trying to help out so you can learn along the way.

Longer port = lower tuning, and shorter port = higher tuning

so what you want to do is basically tweak everything in the re calculator until you get your desired tuning frequency and cuft... When your done post a link here and well see if it looks good :-)

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1548
with the sub i have what would be a good port width?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1550
i juss used 3 cuz that seemed pretty standard. here it is how it look? i want it to be 1.8-2 so i put it about 2.2 cuz of the sub and imma prolly do 45's ion all the corners. should i make it a little bigger to acount for the 45's? do they make much of a difference and should i do them in all the corners?

http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1551
my max width is like 40 so i can always make it wider to get some more volume to account for 45's.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5043
Yea, well on that link it shows your port width is only 1.5". You should have at least 2" (with the port being sanded down or routed). Other than that it looks pretty good. You putting the 45's in the corners for bracing purposes or air flow purposes?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1552
you cant link the page lol it just resets everything. my port width is 3" and the port length is 31.5" and yea i was gonna do it for air flow. i juss seen ppl doing it and heard it helped a little bit. but how will that affect port tuning?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5044
it wont really affect port tuning at all... people do 45's on corners just do help the air flow out a bit = less port noise. But you shoudldn't have any problem with port noise as long as you sand or rout the port so its smooth... But its completely up to you, depending on how big the 45's are you can .1-2 cuft to the overall box volume to account for the 45's.

3" port width is good,

whats the port volume?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1553
okay i had it messed up before lol but here are the specs.
W-30 x H-14 x D- 16
Port width- 2.5
Port length- 34.25
Port Volume- 1070
Box Volume- 2.35
Tuned to- 30 hz

This look good? or anything i need to change?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5045
looks pretty good. what does it say for the square port area?

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1554
square port area is 31.25

so your sure putting a 45 in the corner of the port wont mess the tuning up? oh and any info or tips to make it better are appreciated. thanks man

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5046
Nope. It wont mess it up. It just helps the air flow so the air doesn't get "caught" in the corners. The only way to change the tuning of a box is to adjust the port length in one way or another.

Is this your first box build? Besides that, everything looks good man. I cant think of anything to make it better at the moment. If you wanted it to look even better you could add a second baffle which would add strength + you could make the outer baffle cutout a bit bigger so that the sub would mount flush.

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1555
no ive made a couple before. well thanks for all the help man ill post some pics when i get it done. in a week or so

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5049
alright. No problem man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us