Suggestions and Opinions welcomed

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3875
I've been thinking of switching things up lately. Currently I have 2 10" soundsplinter rlis in a ported box tuned to 33 hz.

I'm thinking of getting a single 10" woofer in a simple ported enclosure, sub to the side, port to the rear. Or jumping into a t-line, sub also to the side, port to the rear. I'm planning on tuning to 39hz and seeing how I like it there, if not back down to 33hz later.

I want something comparable in SQ to my rlis, at least 1000wrms power handling, mounting depth isn't a problem.

Budget is less than $300 for the woofer.

I've been considering:
Audiopulse Revo
Mach5 IXL
Digital Designs (not sure here, I haven't heard much about the "sq" lines)
IDMAX

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3882
bump for some help

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3884
this is overwhelming

Silver Member
Username: Jd93kid

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 127
Hey, I can't really give you any advice but atleast I noticed.. I've heard good things about all those brands tho

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3016
if your looking for sq i would go with the IDMAX

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6817
all of those subs would be good for sq.

if buying brand new. the ixl is the only one you can afford (want to say audioripoff is more than $300). and if getting the ixl you will not be dissappointed at all. very nice sounding sub that can get loud. idmax would be the best for sure, but they are expensive.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3886
I apologize for the confusion, I'm not looking for an sq woofer, I'm looking for something comparable in sq to my rlis. I'm looking for an sql woofer, hence the woofers I listed.

ctmike, can DD(2500 or 3500, don't know which would sound cleaner) and ID not be had new for 300 for a single woofer?

as far as the ixl, I've been interested in this woofer for a while. do you have anything to compare it to?

I have an alpha, and these SS woofers blow it away in sq and spl IMO. I don't want another woofer that sounds like my alpha. So something that sounds at least better than the alpha if not as good as the Rlis.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3887
what about the audioque hdc310?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6818
i'm not the one to ask about dd, heard only a few setups. the ones i've heard definately got loud, and for spl geared they sounded pretty good. would still pick any of the subs you listed over them for sq.

as far as prices, can't recall the dd prices, been awhile. want to say you may be able to get a 2500 series, but not 100%. the 12" idmax, unless you can get one at dealer cost there's no way.

heard the ixl several times. not really sure what to compare it to, didn't do a side by side with anything. but it's very nice, and if i was switching subs that's definately one of the ones i'd consider. mach 5 has very nice products that don't get mentioned here much.

and just noticed, but why you going to tune to 39hz. if you want it sounding good?

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3888
I would not be getting a 12", I'm sticking with 10" woofers for now.

My buddy told me to consider a Fi Q also, so now I'm in between an IXL and a Q.

I'm tuning to 39hz bc it's what my boss keeps preaching to me. My boss was the VP for Crystal, worked for Rainbow and Zenon, and is also the second loudest in the world in USACI, this year and last for 601-1800 Pro Stock. Both those builds were one or two day builds and he/we still took second.

Since he has a bit of experience, I was gonna give 39hz a shot, and if it's not to my liking, I'm going to tune back down to 33hz most likely.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6819
the q is a nice sub also.

and sounds like your boss definately knows his stuff. the only thing is if you're wanting even some sq, 39 wouldn't be the way to go. i'm not saying i know more than your boss or anything at all, but i really wouldn't tune higher than 35. imo after that it's gearing more towards spl. just my opinion.

and still, i think a 10" idmax is $350 shipped, so that would definately be worth spending an extra $50.

out of the subs you've been mentioning, i'd go:
idmax
ixl
q
audiopulse (very nice subs, but once thilo started ripping people off after he ruined tc, i stopped buying his products.)

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3889
oh I completely agree with you when it comes to tuning, I've had a box tuned to 35hz and didn't like it, since then I've stayed in the 29-33hz range.

Unfortunately he disagrees with me and says tuning that low is meant for real sq guys, to listen to like behtoven (spl check) and such. So I'm going to tune to 39hz and see how I like it.

I may not have the extra $50, or may just choose to spend it elsewhere, but we shall see. If I get the q or ixl, I'll def be under budget which I won't mind.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3892
bump

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15359
IDmax 12" sounds great , output wont win any sound off but is alot for in daily car use , havent heard any 10s idmax though i noticed the Fs is considerably higher than a 12" , 12" = 20hz where as 10" = 27hz ,

27 is still pretty low , Fs on a 10" RE SE is close to that

Fs on those TREO subs r pretty low as well

if u appreciate SQ & accuracy more than loudness then imo dont tune over 35hz unless u oversize ur box so the roll off wud be alot lower , i wouldnt go high 30s but id rec staying mid to low 30s .....

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3893
I'm not sure I want a 12", as I wanted to test a t-line and see how I liked it.

I know what everyone suggests about sq, and I agree, it's just my boss has a few years under his belt, and I'd like to give it a try. hence what I've said a few times already, no offense. but part of this switch, from dual woofers to a single woofer, is to increase spl.

The fs on the rlis is like 28, and tuned to 33hz, they were immediately much louder and much clearer than my alpha.

at this time, I want more spl though, while maintaining sq. so I'm switching to a single 10" woofer with 1000wrms capacity, and tuning the first box to 39hz to see if my boss is right or not.

Rovin, how do you think the SE and whichever TREO line performs? Although I would prefer to stay away from TREO and their rumored chitty CS.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7622
Well, tuning higher can help alot (for sq and spl).
In-vehicle tuning can be FAR off from 'on paper' tuning, I preach it all day long.

Simply tuning to 39hz may not be the best for you, but tuning for your vehicle and listening habit is just the ticket. Sub and port loading are key.

BTW, you can easily get a DD2510 for under $300. And those little suckers are punchy and quick as hell!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15360
treo : havent heard that lower 500wrms model , have heard & worked with the 750wrms model , output & sq on it is very good blend of SQL imo , reminds me of those old RF HX2 ...even if their CS might be shiddy if u build a good box & do ur install properly u might never need to call on them

even though i have my 2 10s SE for over a yr now i only once tried it ported in a 32hz tuned box & it was awesome but too loud for the SQ purpose i really bought it for so i ran it sealed ... i think the SX would be better suited for that 39hz tuning & 1000wrms power handling - have worked with 10" SX , not as good SQ as the SE but obviously its louder ...

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3894
Well Canaan, he constantly told me, before we started working on the rex, is that is what he would tune all of his prefab or custom boxes too, so I figure it's worth a try, even though it's against my better judgement. That being said, I've never heard a daily box tuned that high, so it sounds to me even more worth the try.

Canaan, did you get a chance to look up that under the seat box? My buddy just got this truck and wants some serious bump, he keeps trying to get ghetto with the woofer install.

Rovin, Canaan, can either of you compare any of those subs to the sq of the SS rli?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15362
havent heard any SS rli ...

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7173
SQL? pair of RE SE 10s FTW :-)

or still up for the IDMAX.. or up to a 12" for a Si Mag or 04/05 XXX
« Previous Thread Next Thread »