I got a Grand to spend.. help me get the best setup possible?

Username: C0hpl

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, i got a grand to spend on a new setup..

couple things u need to know,

my car: 2009 honda civic coupe, Lx, regular Radio, Stock radio unit, no gps.

I'm not getting a head unit.. i dont see the point in having one... if u think i should get one, please tell me why.

But im looking for the best possible subs.. I need the Amp/Box/Subs.

I think 2, 12"s would be good. Can somepeople please help me out? Thanks a lot - Jon

" Well at first i was thinking about it and i wanted to spend around $500 for everything. Then i realized that i could take out the subs and stuff and put them in a new car when i change cars. So i would have these subs for over 5+ years.. which means i can spend up to a grand.

SPL? Idk what that is, and i gues SQ is sound quality. I wanna have a mix.. i want to have good quality bass but i also wanna be heard a block away! "

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1528
spl is sound pressure level... basically how loud a sub is. and you should definitely get a head unit. you can easily swap them in and out too juss like subs. i wouldnt even bother getting subs if you dont have a nice headunit. especially if your willing to spend $1000 on a nice setup. id go with $800 for a nice setup and juss a decent $200 headunit.

Post Number: 2
but my car is a 2009 honda civic, and its a lease.. i got 2 years left.

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1529
its worth it i guarantee it. if you just get a simple single din it wouldnt be hard to take in and out. just keep the stock one and put it back in before you return the car

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 226
what king said.

dash kits and wiring harness plugs are cheap and easy. the longest part is solder and shrink wrapping the about 12-16 wires together and the rest is plug and play. also removing the stock radio can sometimes be difficult.

for a nice single din i recommend alpine. cheap and sound excellent.

now for your set up im guessing you want to do two 12's? you could probably get more bang for your buck with one 15 imo.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3743
So you are looking for a sql (mixture of spl + SQ) setup.. You can go without the aftermarket HU but you would need a line out converter. They don't cost much, but I would still go aftermarket. If you have a double din install location I would do a single din HU with an EQ in the lower slot. JMHO.
Can you build your own ported enclosure or will you need a custom box built(no prefabs)?
also need to know how much of your trunk space you want to give up..

Need to know what size box you can fit in the trunk.

start out with the rd1000 that is on sale for $239 shipped. before i will recommend subs, but i would like the above questions answered first. It will be easy to find a 2-12" or 1 15" setup in that power range. good luck and welcome to Ecoustics.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3340
I would recommend a new HU. Like stated above, that is a very easy swap after your lease is up and will make a difference in the system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-CDA-9835-Car-CD-MP3-Player_W0QQitemZ250479988808QQcmd ZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item3a51c55048&_trksid=p3286.c0.m 14
Great HU for a good price and will hold its re-sale value

If you are looking for 2 12" subs and amp I have 2 12" RD Audio Classic 12s, BNIB, and a slightly used RD1000.1 up for sale for $500 shipped OBO.

Subs
http://www.rdaudio.net/classic/classic.htm

Amp
http://www.rdaudio.net/rd1000/rd1000.htm

Post Number: 3
Thank you so much for replying and helping me out everyone :-)

to answer some of your Q's..

Yes i want a SQL.
I would prefer 2, 12"s
Here is the pic of a trunk i found and where i wanna put it:http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/c0hpl/hondatrunk.jpg

If i did get a head unit.. how would i put it in my car? There are no slots where i can put a radio..

And can u guys explain to me 2 things..

What is this " DIN " thing u speak of.. i've never heard of that and dont have a clue what it is.

and #2, What are the OHMS for? like i see on the JL audio website, there are 3 diffrent types of sub but they are the same.. they just have diffrence " ohms " ??

Thanks - Jon

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10634
DIN size codes specify the size of the HU. There are several size codes but most can pretty much be called single or double din. Single is a standard size radio like the alpine posted above. Double is like the touch screen units, 2x as tall. I would not recommend buying an EQ though, it's not much help unless you really get into advanced SQ tuning.

Many vehicles including yours use a "dash kit" to install an HU, it replaces the stock radio assembly and has a mounting slot for the HU.

Ohms is a measure of resistance. When you connect speakers to an amplifier they have to have the correct amount of total resistance to match that amp. So DO NOT buy the subs without knowing what amp you will have or vice versa.

I'd recommend some reading on this site if you want to learn about car audio and general electrical stuff www.bcae1.com

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1531
good post ^^^ he pretty much summed it up. you gotta learn the basics before you start buying stuff. it will save you alot of money lol

Post Number: 4
WOW! Thank you so much M.S. that helped me soo much!
But would it be really worth me paying $80+ for the dash kit, and more money on a head unit when that has to go away in 2 years when my lease ends!?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10639
Well you have to ask yourself that question. Consider that the HU could then be put in your next car, would just need a different kit. And the kit should not cost 80 bucks... you've gotta be looking at crutchfield or somethin like that, rediculous priced stores.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10640
Check out www.sonicelectronix.com

They have fairly good prices and give you the dash kit and wiring harness free when you buy a radio.

Post Number: 5
could u possibley show me some cheap head units that will do the job and fit with my car? thanks

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1534
any single din would fit. check out pioneer they have pretty good low budget HU's. and i picked up a dash kit at walmart for like 10 or 15 bucks. shouldnt be much more than that.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3342
wal mart for dash kits and wiring harnesses...

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 787
Ummm..................

Has anyone put a HU in a 2009 Civic??? Honda has made it kinda difficult as of late.

Those kits aren't cheap and I highly doubt walmart will have one.

This is his dash.
Upload

This is his dash kit.
Upload

BTW, that thing is a PITA to install.

Ask me how I know.

Post Number: 6
PITA?? So yeah.. can i go to walmart for $15 or not? haha

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1549
well i know you can for most cars wicked is sayin he knows from 1st hand experience so id listen to him. that sucks man im not sure what id do...

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 69
pretty much the newer the car, the more expensive it can be for proper dash kits and wiring harnesses

for a majority of older vehicles you can get a dash kit and wiring harness for ~$20

unfortunately for you this is not the case.

Username: Tinkbz

Norfolk, Va Usa

Post Number: 2
I have a 4400 watts ma audio hk802, the 1st memphis belle 5 channel 1500 watts for da subs, and 1 orion HCCA 12in subs I'm selln ma amp 450 shipped
Memphis 275 shipped
HCCA 350 shipped
The sub is heavy as hell it has a small mark that bruched againt the box but its nuthing that effect the sub are sounds I have pics if any1 want to see them

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1923
^^^ good post,

i would like to advise the OP (jon warren) to be weary of buying used/new products online from someone who can't spell correctly. Also, he just joined the forum (only has 2 posts) so i would be extremely cautious about that as well. Just some pointers so you dont get scammed.

Leon, if you have Refs on any other car audio site or maybe an ebay account, please list them.

Norfolk, Va Usa

Post Number: 3
Dats kool dats great advise you can look on ebay my name is darkhalo007 I have 100% feedback, I only use paypal for any tranactions, if some1 want to buy anything from me I will post it on ebay to show I'm a great seller and buyer, and yes I just joimted cus I just got a massive audio p3000.1 amp n wanted to read other review on it an sorry for misspelling I'm on my cell at work so I didn't check it, but everything you was saying was good so thank you for looking out for fellow audio fans

Silver Member
Username: Ridicbass07060

Sonances wangin

Post Number: 166
thats all fine leon but this is some one trying to get help in car audio and wanting to learn. dont spam his thread and turn it into a for sale thread. If he wants to buy some used stuff he will start a thread and state that. Then you may post what you have for sale.

Norfolk, Va Usa

Post Number: 8
You are right this is his thread he wanted to know what's good for the $ I let him know I had some good audio for sale he said no and that was it, he had no problem and I had no proplem, I did not spam him I asked if he wanted to by once I didn't keep pushn anything once he said no, then I was hit wit i m new on here so all I did was state a ref and how I sell and buy from ppl online, but thanks you mets fan for your comments

Post Number: 7
Aight dude, i dont want them anyway so no problem.
I think i am getting 2 Soundstream Reference 12's+TRX1500d+ported box+4gauge wire kit.

What do u guys think? Thanks!

Norfolk, Va Usa

Post Number: 9
you might want to go up on the wireing kit size, the soundstream subs are good for the price and they will sound nice, they stand behine there car audio good too

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3747
What are you ganna spend for the soundstreams? There are much better subs out there and are very inexspensive as of late. With a grand you should be able to do HU, Dash kit, Subs (good ones), amp, box, and wiring.... fairly easily. Please hit me up (or any regular) before the soundstreams are bought...

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 743
i want a grand to spend =[
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us