Big Three Problem !HELP!

Bronze Member
Username: Cal1089

Post Number: 36
I have a 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo. i first upgraded the battery negative to chassie. gave me like .25 more volts. the i upgraded the positve to alternater. and that seem to be what is causing problems.
1 volts were higher before i upgraded this wire
2. turn signals have an increase in blinking intervals
3 car revs high when starting

i have yet to do the ground for the alternator/ engine ground. would that cause these problems? also should i be using copper ring terminals or no?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3719
complete the big 3 and I would use copper ring teminals...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10610
When you do the big 3 you ADD to the existing wires NOT replace them. Do not remove any stock wiring going to the alternator. Most cars need it b/c other circuits tie into it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
ok i did use the copper ring terminals

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
ok i will replace this wire back. hopefully that helps. didnt think it would matter just because current takes the least path of resistence.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3723
The Big 3 upgrade will not add voltage to your battery. It is there to increase the current flow and efficiency of your charging system.. If you have a stock alt, the big 3 will not really be too much of a help, but it won't hurt to be ready for a bigger alt.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 730
true that^

its all ways good to be ready to go bigger or what ever you want

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10615
Um sry mark but none of that is right haha...

There can be a small increase in voltage after the big 3 upgrade due to less resistence in the wires.

Part of the big 3 helps even with a sotck alt, the battery ground to chassis wire. That wire carrys the full amount of current the amp draws plus everything else in the car and stock its really not big enough.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3725
MS. We know that there is a benefit to upgrading the Big 3 even with stock charging. But it has been tried and tested(by regulars on here whom I trust- including myself) and the conclusions that I have read and seen with my own vehicles is that the benefit is minimal at best with stock charging. There was a Big 3 install thread with pics on here who also stated the same thing and I have no problem agreeing with it. If I am wrong with everything, then are saying that the purpose of the big 3 IS to increase voltage of the batt and NOT to increase the current flow and efficiency of your charging system? I will disagree with you is that is your stance on the subject. Now if the voltage is ever-so-slightly increased as a result of the upgrade, that is fine. But that is not the purpose of the upgrade. That job is preformed by the voltage regulator/alternator.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3728
Since this question comes up again and again here, I thought this might be a useful post. Performing a "Big 3" upgrade on your vehicle is one way to improve the electrical system performance and its ability to supply power to your audio system. This upgrade will help any vehicle using an after-market amplified stereo system, and most certainly should be performed on any vehicle after a high-output alternator is installed.

Please be sure you read and understand this entire instruction before you begin.

Definition: the "Big Three" upgrade means improving the current capacity of three cables: 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis. Some people replace the factory wiring; others add additional cables to the factory wiring. This instruction is to add cables to existing OEM wiring.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

Sorry M.S. but I think this will prove me correct.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3731
M.s
Eats
At
The

Sack
Under
C0cks
Killing
Ecoustics
Respect

I know, I know. M.S.
It was uncalled for and is a joke.. MS does know his electrical chit.... I think he misunderstood what I was saying. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. But I couldn't resist and apologize in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 35
Sorry to butt in here,but if i have a 85 amp alt an i do these upgrades(big 3) What would be the highest wattage amp i could use without causing any damage? Thanks guys

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20896
Very basic formula:

Watts = volts X amps. Minus what your car devours for normal operation and also take efficiency loss and you get a ballpark number.

A bigger batt will help with large short time draws but eventually it catches up to you. I'm not a electrical wiz so I have no idea what your car draws normally.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3861
Mark I believe you're talking about my thread. I saw no voltage increase after I used 0ga to do my big 3. and that's with a frame ground whereas most use a chassis ground.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3737
Yes it was your thread(very good install by the way) And I had the same results. It is really only necessary when using a HO Alt, but it couldn't hurt with a stock alt. Thanks for the reminder of whos thread.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10617
Haha ok...

" It is there to increase the current flow and efficiency of your charging system "

This part is correct. The rest no. There often is an increase in volatge even though its negligible. And the battery ground wire upgrade helps if using a big amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2994
why do you have to write so f*cking much Mark. too much pointless sh*t to read.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2104
for the first time in my life i agree with snow, shut up mark u dont know nothin

M.S. ftw

Gold Member

Post Number: 3738
lol... So the12volts.com artical is incorrect? lol

Snow, you attention span is shorter than an altzheimers patient. lol

Dblk. you agreed that I explained myself too much in detail? That is what this forum is supposed to be here for... Reading is the only option. besides posting.. lol
M.s.. everthing you just said is what I said as well. You just stated that everything I put was wrong and then agreed with me in different words. lol..

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2995
get over it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
calm down no need to argue about pointless things. i personally like marks explenations that he gives just because they are througho . but stop arguing i have my volts at 13.5 now!

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10619
Well not to continue a pointless arguement but i don't get how you figure that... you said big 3 upgrade will not incrase voltage, i said it can in a small amount, you said the big 3 is not much help with a stock alt, i said part of it can be if using a big amplifier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3739
Trust me MS, If I could reword what I was trying to say in my OP(which was that is not why the upgrade is done) I would to keep this pointless shI!t from continuing, I would. But we are not talking any real increase worth mentioning..

quote:

If I am wrong with everything, then are saying that the purpose of the big 3 IS to increase voltage of the batt and NOT to increase the current flow and efficiency of your charging system? I will disagree with you is that is your stance on the subject. Now if the voltage is ever-so-slightly increased as a result of the upgrade, that is fine. But that is not the purpose of the upgrade. That job is preformed by the voltage regulator/alternator.

How big of an amp is big to you? Theives as well as I stated that there was very little difference after the big 3 upgrade with a stock alt.. Now if you want to say that there CAN be a difference.. Well no sh!!t. Way to repeat what we just stated.. How much of a difference is CAN as used in your sentence? Are you trying to correct me and say that there will be a big difference? This is a dumb argument that is beyond petty.
No one does the upgrade to get that fraction of a Volt increase. I hope that makes you feel better. I feel like I wasted 20 mins of my life to argue over something that means nothing.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1135
So am I correct in assuming that the big three helps prevent voltage drops or is that incorrect?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10625
" This is a dumb argument that is beyond petty. "

Indeed it is... so im not going to continue it, alrerady said all i wanted to say.

" So am I correct in assuming that the big three helps prevent voltage drops or is that incorrect? "

That is correct but thats not all it does. By allowing better flow of current it allows your amps to get more power and everything runs better. And with an HO alternator its a nessescity to prevent damage from too much current going through stock wires.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1136
Thanks MS
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us