8" Sub Recommendations

Username: Runninredline

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone this is my first post to ecoustics. I'm looking to revamp my system slowly and surely. I currently am running 1 JL 8W3v3-4 on a ED ninE.5 amp and was thinking of possibly switching it out with a JL 8W7.

The problem with my car is space. My current sealed enclosure is .32 cu. ft. Unfortunately due to my car trunk space is at a premium and I really don't want to fabricate something for the trunk.

My question is is the 8W7 a worthy upgrade over my current set-up and are there any other 8's that are worth consideration?

Here are some pics to give you an idea of my install, go easy on the upholstery job it was my first try.

[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh85/RunninGTO/DSC00741.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh85/RunninGTO/DSC00739.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh85/RunninGTO/DSC00742.jpg[/IMG]

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 66
Sundown E8 or DD1508

Username: Spy

Upstate NY

Post Number: 2
not enough space for the DD1508, the E8 would do well in that airspace but good luck finding one.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3720
There was some E8's on caraudio.com a few weeks ago.

the 8w7 is not worth the money, IMO.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15314
havent heard it but

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products.php?Family_Id=2

has a 8" sub & anything made by them sounds good ....

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11916
Jl recommends .875 cubic feet for the 8w7 so you wouldnt be able to use it properly in your .36 box. The image dynamics 8 would work in your box and its a decent sub.

Post Number: 3
Just a littler clarification of what is a possibility.

I'm planning on building a new fiberglass enclosure as I'm not totally happy with how that one turned out. When I rebuild it it's quite possible I would be able to get the .875 cubic feet the 8W7 requires if not I'm sure at the very least I could get .7 cubic feet. Would that be adequate with poly fill?

As far as the sub goes the 8W3V3 I'm very pleased with the SQ of the sub however the SPL is a little lacking. So would these subs you've suggested have better SPL qualities? Also, since I'm a bit of a noob, what are the brands of these models you's suggested? Besides Image Dynamic sub.

Post Number: 4
Well upon looking further into the models that were listed, it looks as though I'm a leaning towards maybe doing 2 of the iD8 v.3's.

Can someone confirm that this line is a good sounding line?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3695
ID is top notch

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5288
The ID8 is a nice little sub but the RL-i will smoke it.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1672
^^As soon as I opened this thread I knew someone was going to recommend the RL-i. I was going to say the same.

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli8_subwoofer_information.html

Upstate NY

Post Number: 3
Once again good luck finding an RL-i 8, you could get the Orphan 8 from Soundsplinter but it's a 6ohm coil.

Check out a True Bass 8", I've never used one personally but they are known to get loud and sound decent doing it.

Post Number: 5
The RL-i 8 looks good. From appearance it kind of looks like it is an SPL speaker. Does it have good SQ? Would the 8W7 or 2 iD8v.3's sound better?

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11931
From what ive heard Id say the rl-i8 would be the best sq sub with decent output..

Post Number: 6
Well I guess I'll be giving the RL-i8 a shot. What would be better 250W or 450W on it? I know it says 200-500W but just wanted to know everyone's opinions.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11943
More power more output go for the full 500.

Upstate NY

Post Number: 6
With the RL-i 8" in a sealed enclosure I would say 500 each would sound great.

did you find some for sale? Sound splinter has been out for a long time with no ETA on getting them back in and used ones are hard to find.

If you can't find a pair of RL-i's you can also look for the TC Sounds TC-1000 8", they are the same thing just a different finish on the cone.

Post Number: 7
I found one 1 pair of TC-1000's but no luck on the RL-i's. However, I did read during my search that sound splinter is expecting a batch of RL-i sometime after Oct. 1. So we'll see what happens I'm in no real rush. I guess I'll do my front comps first.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us