JL vs Fi

Username: Abaddon_baliel

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 2
I listen to a lot of metal so I'm looking to get 4 10" subs that will go into a custom fiberglass enclosure in the back hatch of a '95 Eclipse.

I want 2000W RMS.

I have a JL Audio 10w3v3 already and it sounds amazing, but it doesn't bring out the double bass in a lot of the music I listen to since it's just one sub.

I was thinking of buying 3 more of the same sub, and I wouldn't have a problem with doing that.

I need to know which is better for sound quality and the bass I'm looking for: JL Audio w3-w7, or Fi Q or BLs?

Also, I would need to know what amp(s) to get to power all the subs for 2000W RMS.

Right now I'm running an Alpine MRP M500 500watt rms amp to run the 500 watt JL sub I have. I could get a single amp for each sub but that'd be messy and expensive. Suggestions??

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2066
the Q is more for sq and the BL is a mix of spl and sq. sounds like u would like the Q

they are made for 1000 rms so u would not really be pushing them at all if u got 4 of them.
i would get a pair of 12inch Qs with an aq2200
audioque.com

if u really want 4 10s get the Qs then get 4000watts or more and get stupid loud

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5003
if you want double bass get some idmax's

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 4
Well I do want 4 10"s, since my single 10 sounds great with what I listen to, it's just not enough.

I'm not familiar with IDMax's line of subs. Why them?

Also, I'm not good with the technical side of things, so I don't know what ohms I would have to have the subs, or how many amps I would need. Here's what I was thinking:

4 JL Audio 10w3v3 subs powered by 2 Alpine 1000w amps (1 amp for 2 subs) so I'm guessing the subs would be dual 2ohm (is that right?)

I don't know how W7s would do, and I was looking into Fi Qs, but I think 4000W RMS would be waaaay to much power for my car. Remember, I have a 95 eclipse. It's a hatchback. I'd like to be able to keep my rear window intact for more than 30 seconds before it shatters. :-)

What other setups would be recommended?
(if you could, list the complete setup as I did. I need as much help as possible)

Thanks again

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 5
I've also read some great things about the Phoenix Gold RSD series of subs. They don't cost much, but according to reviews are on par with the IDMAXs.

Discuss?

As I said my goal is 2000W RMS.

Silver Member
Username: Dangeranger

Ohio United States

Post Number: 108
Are you stuck on 4 tens?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6808
rsds aren't on par with the idmax.

to run 2000w, you'll be needing to do some electrical upgrades, meaning a high output alt., doing the big 3, and at least upgrading the battery under the hood. plan on about $500 for that, probably more.

if stuck on 4 tens and are happy with the w3, then get 4 of those. they are nice subs. personally i would run 4 idqs' instead. require the same power and have better sq.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1669
Do you have the electrical upgrades for 2Kw RMS?

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1670
Darn you Mike, I guess I type too slow.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15297
wud be a bit expensive but if ur willing to get a ho alt & a 1500-2000wrms amp : get 2 12s idmax ported to around 27-28hz & i bet u wont be able to breathe ...with just my 1 alone its already difficult ...

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1887
2krms is a lot of power to run in an eclipse... you would need to upgrade your front stage as well if you wanted to hear any sort of music or lyrics.

Whats your budget for EVERYTHING? from there it will be easier to list components for the system

Silver Member
Username: Jordon32990

Hagerstown, IN

Post Number: 166
I had two JL 12W3V3's in a sealed box...
I listen to metal a lot and a pair of Sony's hit double bass better than those... lol
I loved the sound quality but response was sub par...

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 6
I am planning on upgrading everything alt, big 3, battery. I do want 4 10s, i was going to go with 2 Fi-Q 12s, but i dont think they'd sound as good with the music i listen to. idmax im growing on, but how much punishment can they take?

i have the best jl audio component and 6x9 system so im not worried about the subs overpowering the lyrics.

i want 4 10s because i think the double bass would be amazing on them, 12s are more for thump thump for rap and stuff, i listen to metal.

you mentioned i could get 3 more jl w3s, but is that my best option? how do they rate to idmax? i heard id max sounds much better. (based on the searching ive been doing)

my budget is: whatever it takes.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5007
"i want 4 10s because i think the double bass would be amazing on them, 12s are more for thump thump for rap and stuff, i listen to metal."

Not true, it entirely depends on the subs and the box... You can make any size of sub spl oriented...

4 10's wont mean that the response will be any quicker then 12's. Get a couple idmax 12's and tuned it to around 28hz and it would be ridiculous..

idmax > w3 anyday

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 1112

quote:

idmax > w3 anyday

^I would hope so judging by the $250 price difference.

I assume you meant w7?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15302
a single 12" ported idmax is plenty of low freq bass - u dont really need 2 , unless ur nuts

2 10" RE SE ported is alot of clean quick responding bass too ........

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2077
don't know much about the idmax
but i do know that the fi Q 12 will keep up with ur double bass, and sound amazing

don't be so close minded. 4 subs would be cool looking, but it doesn't mean they will always keep up with ur fast beats

don't get any more w3s
they are nice subs but u can do much better for the money and what ur wanting.... unless ur getting them really cheap

if u have 2000 rms u don't NEED to get that many electrical upgrades, get a good sized 2nd battery andu will be fine

i am selling my aq2200 if ur interested. it would work good for what ever subs u deside to pick

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 7
I was originally planning on getting 2 12" Fi-Qs, but I assumed they were more about sound quality and wouldn't be able to keep up where the bass was concerned. The JL doesn't hit every note, the sq is great, but the response could be a LOT better. I've just never experienced anything else first hand.

How does IDMAX compare to Fi-Qs in relation to SQ and SPL? For metal only, please.

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 8
IDMAX 12" D4v3 vs Fi-Q (or BL, since BL is a mix like the IDMAX is)

which subs should I go with? Which will make the most out of 2000W RMS? Which will sound the best and beat the hardest? Which can take the most punishment?

I don't go to comps, this is my daily driver. But I love my metal, and I like it loud. (Think slipknot, korn, disturbed, avenged sevenfold... no thrash or screemo)

And what amp should I use to power them to their full potential?

One Kicker ZX2500.1
Two Alpine M1000s
One Audioque2200
?

I would have to assume based on price IDMAX is far superior... $450 for 1 IDMAX, vs $270 for one Fi BL. But I could be wrong... kicker solo x costs way more and I'd never buy one of them.

Just let me know what you think. Thanks for the help so far, I've never even heard of IDMAX before this discussion.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2080
i cant say anything about the idmax but 450,. seems high i wouldn't think it would be worth the price difference of the fi BL

i would say on the amps the kicker puts out the most
followed by the aq2200
and alpine last
iv had nothing good with alpine amps
i think the kicker amps is 2500 at 2 ohms
the aq is 2200 at 1 ohm

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6810
i would go with the idmax. hands down one of the best subs you can get, imo. up there in my top 5 fav. subs.

and for the pair, could grab the audioque and that would do nicely. just don't buy the used one dblk is selling.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2081
y not buy the one im selling? i used it for less than 2 months

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2082
and anyways! about the idmax, they must be pretty awsome if every one is talking so highly of them

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6811
get the idmax, and don't buy dblks' amp.

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 9
I'm thinkin I'm gonna go with the IDMAX for sure.. now I just have to figure out where I'm putting them. IDK what amp I'm going with, just whichever one I think matches them well enough... I don't want them overpowered.

And stop with the don't buy db's amp thing, I don't buy used things anyways when it comes to audio. Either you're trying to protect my money or whatever, I don't mind. I just think it's upsetting him and there's no need when I wasn't going to buy it anyways (no offense).

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 10
One last question...

What should I buy the idmax over the fi-bl when there's a $250 price difference? What makes it so much better? They both run 1000w rms, both are said to have great clarity and spl. So what makes idmax worth the extra $250 per sub?

Bronze Member

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 11
The IDMAX is dual 4ohms, so what amp should I get for 2 of them, 2000w rms?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1881
Numerous people have said they enjoyed the sq of the idmax over many other drivers. It is up to you to decide if you can justify the price difference.
Personally I lean a bit more towards SPL and I would chose Fi.

Bronze Member

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 13
I would like to get IDMAX, from what I hear about them.... but I'm just not willing to pay that much for a sub, when I'm getting two, and especially not a sub I've never heard before.

I'm going with two Fi Q 12", dual 2Ohm. $273/ea. so both of them will cost a little more than one IDMAX.

Is the audioque amp still a good choice? Will it power both of these subs to their power req. at dual 2ohm?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2752
If you get 2 of the Q's, go with dual 1 ohm coils. Make sure and get the daily option. Yes the AudioQue 2200D will power them both, as long as they are both dual 1 ohm coils.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2753
But if you do get the AQ2200, you will need some electrical upgrades (which can be pricey).

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1128
You can find the IDMAX on Ebay for around $250 occasionally, but you said you dont like to buy used.

I would like to try out some IDMAX subs after hearing how highly everyone speaks of them.

Bronze Member

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 14
Alright thanks! I was going to go with BLs with the daily option, but I figured the Qs will have enough spl for me, and I'm more concerned with accuracy anyways. So I'm just going to bump up the power on the Qs to ensure I get both.

Yeah, I would go with ebay but I just don't trust anything without a warranty when it comes to things like speakers that could be blown or could be about to blow, and there's a waste of $250. Thanks anyways.

And I'll be sure to get the dual 1 ohm option so the AQ can power them. Now I just need to determine where I want to place everything.. and I'll prolly have a post about that shortly. :-)

Thanks everyone.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2980
Have you even thought about the electrical upgrades? Why not just stick with one sub, I can gurantee it will be plenty loud for you and you would save a bunchload of money. Can run everything off your stock electrical then. I would also go IDMax over the Q anyday. You can find them for a lot better price than $450 also.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3710
The IDQ's are a lot less expensive and do nice on less power than the IDMAX. The SQ is about the same and is some cases better but not as loud due to less power, ect.. But don't take that as they don't get loud, because the have no problem getting loud. IMO they would be better suited for what you are needing.

Bronze Member

Muncie, IN USA

Post Number: 16
Why does everyone keep asking about the electrical upgrades? Can no one read? IF YOU READ the entire thread, I've mentioned twice that I'm upgrading everything already. I had already planned on it. Big 3, HO Alt, Battery, everything. Stop asking.

And if I can find them for a lot better prices than 450.... where? New? Cuz also, if you've read, I don't buy used.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us