Aero ports.. help?

Bronze Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Ga. United States

Post Number: 86
i wanna build a new box but aero port it instead of the usual slot port.. ive read up on the whole aero port thing, but im still not getting it.. how do i figure out what to use? like how many im supposed to use? how big they should be? and such..
I joined another forum and asked it on there, but i seem to get more info quicker and a little better on here. Throw some knowledge my way please?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4994
there are lots of sites that can help you calculate round ports... Basically you input the box volume, your desired tuning freq, and the size of the port your using (round) and it will give you the length of the round port you need. Then you cut the port to that size.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

also look as winisd (a program)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
soo i can basically use any diamater port i want, and any number of ports as long as i use the right length it gives me?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5002
yep. Here are a bunch of aero's that you can use. :-)

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=143&C FID=9584656&CFTOKEN=53644085

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 1107
"soo i can basically use any diamater port i want, and any number of ports as long as i use the right length it gives me?"

No, you dont want to have too much/little port diameter. Go off of the factory specs.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15296
also they come in limited lengths so u have to design ur enclosure to suit

i dont think u can take normal pvc pipe & join it since the pvc might not fit as well as the pipe the ports come with .....

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11885
With aero ports you add 1 inch for the flare over what the program tells you the length should be for a desired tuning. Also you can make your own flared ports out of pvc, wood, fiberglass and quickcrete tubes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
well what i came up with was 1 4" and it was like 8. some odd" long.. would that be enough port area for 1 HDC3 12 in a 2.3ft^3 box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
actually, it was 7.27" for it to be tuned at 38Hz...

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11887
One four inch isnt enough. Go with two 4 inch aeros 17 inches long (stock length) for a 39.5 tuning.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
but, i dont want it tuned that high.. i know it wont be too much difference. and actually im thinking about tuning it around 36 now. and a 17 incher wont fit in my trunk.. my trunk opening is only like 15 in from the outside and in from the backseat..

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11888
You can try two 3 inch aero ports 11.5 including the flared ends for a 36 hz tuning but youll be on the borderline for port noise at 1200 watts. Two three inch aeros have the same port area as one four inch but the fact you have two flares with the three inch aero ports makes for better air flow over a single four inch aero so go with two three inch aeros.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
ok thanks..

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 11889
Your welcome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums