Bed liner questions

Silver Member
Username: Dlavante

D&L Designs, Daniel Tigard, Or, USA

Post Number: 225
has anyone used it to finish a box? any advice or places to find it cheap?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20848
The spray on type? I think Polo used it once and some others. Not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1867
Steve Meade did if I'm not mistaken. I've heard of it before, can't remember any others. Second Skin Audio sells it, I don't know how cheap 170 is to you.
You can buy touch up cans from autozone I believe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
looking for a little cheaper than that. $170 is a little steep considering autozone and napa sell a gallon of herculiner for $70ish but i was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere cheaper

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2045
i have used a few kinds, i use the stuff from autozone, works good and looks cool,
i use it all everything i make now. its just easy to put on. i roll it or use a sponge to give it some more texture.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1868
$30 for a sprayer is worth it though, I guess a roller is cheaper.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2048
it really depends on what kind of texture u want

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
i was under the assumption that the texture came from rubber bits not from a sponge. im somewhat new to this though. anyone know a good place to pick up a good sprayer with at least a 1/4" nozzle?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5276
I built hundreds of boxes to spec with Herculiner and it rules. Two quarts will put two coats on an average sized box. There are many advantages -- seals the box completely, waterproofs it, makes it indestructible if you bash it (and it will come off or peel in some cases, especially if it isn't applied perfectly, it isn't as strong as pro truckliner like Line-X) because you can just dab some more on the chip and it's good as new. Also it looks better than anything else IMO. Almost everyone says "Whoa! what is that?." The key to applying Herc is prepping the MDF. I light sand with 60 grit to rough up the surface then wipe it down with tshirts until all dirt and sawdust is gone. Then vacuum the area or move the box somewhere else that is dust free.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4988
Brad,

how easily does it come off or peel?? Because were going to be putting it on pro audio speaker boxes where they will be moved around and handled alot from place to place...

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5278
Takes a major collision to chip. It won't peel at all if you prep the surface right. And like I said, use the leftover in the can to patch spots. I have 1/4 can from like 3 years ago that is still good as new. The thing with pro sound boxes is to cover them with something, like a blanket, when they get packed in the truck. 90% of bashes and wear spots come in transport. What drivers did you use in the boxes?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4989
modified btl 18. Our build thread is a couple threads down labeled "box build (lots of pics)"

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
Brad, what method works best for applying it?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5280
3" foam roller in one direction -- don't backtrack like with paint. Cover as evenly as you can with the first coat then let dry for 2-3 hours then roll the second coat on. Roll the first coat bottom to top and the second coat side to side, this overlapping helps to cover and keep it uniform. One thing that is huge when applying this stuff is wear some old clothes you don't care about and some rubber dish gloves. If it gets on your skin and dries it won't come off for a week or more. On clothes it's instantly permanent.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2053
i also used foam rollers.
i cleaned off my wood/ fiberglass with acetone.
i also mixed some of the acetone in with the liner.
don't think that is what brad did, but it works great for me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us