New System Help!

Bronze Member
Username: Newbie111

Post Number: 16
Hey Guys, I am in need of your help to get an idea of a new system that I want to place in my car but I have only a few ideas of where to begin and because I am new to this I thought that you might be able to help me.

I am a 2-12's guy and I think I am pretty much set on two 12w7's but if anyone can offer an alternative for me to check out that would be great. Also a great set of components. That are crisp and clear and something that will not be overpowered by the sub stage.

I listen to mainly hip hop and r&b, with some occassional jazz. I want really hard hitting and very deep bass.(something similar to the 12w7) I want a great balance between my mids and highs, I want to be able to sit in the car in any seat and truly have great sound, a very crisp and clear sound being able to hear almost every note played. To be able to sit in my car and be engulfed in my music.

My budget is about $2000 give or take $500, although less is always better but I am a firm believer in sometimes you get what you pay for so Im willing to save up for whatever I feel is the best fit for me. The system is going into an 86 Cadillac Fleetwood. Im willing to use the entire trunk to meet my needs but if I dont have to, then all the better.

One of my goals for the system is to be able to turn the volume up and have the bass hitting hard and step away about 50ft or so and still be able to hear the song im playing with great clarity and not be muffled at any point whether it is very loud or not. My budget encompasses the entire system.I would like a single din in dash monitor. Bluetooth and Navigation are not must haves. A card reader to play saved files would be great and just a great look and general features.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 630
well there's way better setups then W7! that cost way less then that.

look in to.
RD
RE
FI
DD
Treo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Ok I will check them out. Any recomendations as far as which ones you like better or best and why?

Also do you have any ideas as to great sounding components?

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
well i started with 2 12" RE SE and moved up to a 18" FI Q then upgreated to 2 15" RD Alphas.

right now i'm really in to RD. great C.O and build quality! they are doing great in the lanes at comps IMO!

heard great thing about there Sonance v.2, really great SQ and output, Chad Lee on here had 2 10"s and if i can recall he said "its one of the best setup he ever had" i'll go look for is post on it.

eclipse makes great monters.

Silver Member

Post Number: 632
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/516574.html
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/573301.html

theres one more ik but cant find it

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3503
Are you stuck on 2-12's? Have you givin any thought to a single 15 or 18 setup. I have a couple of 18's that need a new vehicle to call home. They are RD Audio Alpha V.2. They need 1500-2000 wrms each and about 5.5-6 cubes each after displacements Tuned to ~35 hz. They hit every freq needed very accurately. And if install/ enclosure and power are right, 1 of these 18's will own 2-12w7's. I would get the 12w6's over the 7's. Let me know if you might be interested. quick vid link (notice that the mids highs can be heard over substage from outside of car even with the camera. This substage hits 151+ with the musical box and could be louder fairly easily)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXj6WniW4Fk&feature=channel_page
300 plus shipping or make offer..
IDK how much power you are wanting to run. If you are wanting to use factory Alt. , you will need to at least add a 2nd battery( dry cell) and upgrade the 1st battery to the same dry cell) if you want more that 1200 wrms . As for Comp Sets, look into :
CDT
Diamond Audio
Morel
Rainbow
DLS
RD Alpha
ect. (many other good choices)
There are comp sets that cost more than your entire budget.
Which ones will also depend on power desired and if you are gonna run them passive or active. They will need to be istalled in custom pods or a completely sound deadened doors. Also keep in mind that you will need to completely sound deaden the trunk(at least) as well.I would also look into an EQ. I cannot live w/o mine. makes a huge difference.

Other good subs :
DCAudio
RE XXX 0/4-0/5
IDMAX
SS RL-p
Brahama Idire
RD Sonance
ect.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6905
Adire Brahma* .. models MKI and MKII only .. if you did that

Can't go wrong with the RE XXX 04/05 or IDMaxs

The XXXs are hard to find.. especially in 12s.. although ill likely be selling my 12 if you wanted to run a single sub setup

far as that list for comps.. dls hehe.. nobelium 6.2s on ebay for around $600 shipped ftw

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 32
And since you're looking for SQ, I would use Second Skin or a similar sound deadener to at least cover the trunk to get rid of any rattling that will be caused by your sub(s). That will help keep the sound crisp, clean, and in your car.

As for subs, I haven't had much experince with the subs mentioned above, but I've heard the Fi Q is a pretty awesome SQ sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Quentin, I will be looking at the Sonance subs sometime soon.

Mark you bring up a good point. I have never really thought of a 15 or 18 setup. What would be some advantages and disadvantages to those setups over the 2-12 setup. I dont really know if I want to upgrade the battery and/or alt. The vid was friggin awesome. I think the way your truck was flexing that 2-18's may be overkill for me.

Quentin said he upgraded from an 18 to 2-15's is that really an upgrade as far as sound goes.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6906
IMO .. 18" = WASTE .. 15"s are the way to go :-)

argue your case, i don't care :-)

if your going all SQ.. just stick to some sealed 12s and call it a day

Gold Member

Post Number: 3512
i believe quentin was talking about name brands/model for the most part when he said upgrade.

I agree that 2 18's would be overkill, which is y I said a single 15 or 18 setup. You wouldn't have the power to push 2 of them properly, but 1 would be sweet and sound good, so long as the enclosure was built right and properly installed with sound deadener.

As for advantages, 1 18 has more cone are than 2-12's, but as far as advantages it really depends on brand and model and what that particular sub is designed for and what you are wanting as far as output. The alpha V.2 is a SQL sub that is a lil more on the spl side, and the only reason I say that is because of how loud they are capable of getting and the amount of clean power they can handle daily. I could make this sub louder but wasn't wanting to sacrifice its musicality(if thats even a word). and lets face it 150+ and still musical it more than enough for most. 99% of non-bassaholics cant handle this setup for more than a few sec's and it still sounds good. My next setup will be more spl based and trying to get better numbers on the TL. If you decide to give it a try, I can help with a box design if you give me your max dementions as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 634
"Quentin said he upgraded from an 18 to 2-15's is that really an upgrade as far as sound goes"

yep it sure did cuz its the model/type and power halding

my 18" FI Q took 1000rms its an SQ sub
then my 2 15" RD Alpha's took 1500-2000rms a pice there SQL subs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dVYU7Ar9MQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4wO2a8C5M&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVWyY3r_zI&feature=channel_page

and if ur looking for an amp i got an RD 3250.1 for sale. $700 shipped

Gold Member

Post Number: 3513
I wouldn't say that 18's are a waste, I love these subs and they have proven most of the misconstrued myths (18's can hit the uppers, ect..) wrong. And it depends on taste. 15's are the most common sizes used in competition setups and seem to be the best "bang" for its size. But there is nothing wrong with em if you got the room.
and you like to move some air.
As a matter of fact I'm switching to 15's due to baffle size limits for my wall.

If he wanted a straight sq setup I'de agree, but he want it to carry and ported would help that a bit, and a properly built ported enclosure can come close to the preformance of a sealed enclosure(as you know-lol) And that statment is also dependant on the subs that are being used.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
So if I went 2-15's would I have to use my entire trunk to house the box? It would be going into an 86 Fleetwood, pretty nice size trunk.

Im taking a trip to Chicago soon to listen and compare subs. There are just so many options, I still really dont know which direction to go. I have only heard the 12w7 ad the 12x types in person and I really liked the sound of the w7. Would 2-15's be comparable or blow 2-12w7's out of the water ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3515
I dont think you will want to do 2- 15" Alphas. That would require a HO Alt and a lil battery bank for a daily setup. Look into the RD Audio Sonances. We have a guy doing 150's with 2 15's on a rd3250 in a trunk car, and they would only need about 3^3ft each after displacements.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Ok will do. Would the sound be comapable to the w7? Are the Sonance 15's musical?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Also Ive been told that I may need 2 sets of components so my front stage is not over powered by my substage. What do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3516
Ther sonances should sound better than the W7's. The W7's are not that great. The W6's are superior IMO.And JL Audio is overpriced as well.

This is a direct quote from a post in a recent thread from the owner or RD Audio.
" don't know to much about the icon at all so i can not give you a this or that is better but i can post what the sonance can do.

This year they are in a couple vehicles prior sound quality champions. I hope for them to take a SQ championship this year.

They sound excellent and in the correct box they offer a pretty flat reponse and excellent f3's. They are very musical.

If you take the 15" and put it in 3.33 cubes and tune it to 38hz with 35sq inches of port opening your f3 will be approx 28hz. So between 28-55hz you will be within 3 db.

The output was proven over and over in the past year.

0-600 pro stock with two 12" sonance = 158.3
0-600 pro stock with six 12" sonance = 160.9 db
601-1800 prostock six 12" sonance 162.3 db

we have a several guys steet beating over a 155db with 4-6 sonance subwoofers.

The output is proven

the dual 2 ohm version offers a 8 layer flat wind 55mm tall coil, has a triple joint re enforcment ring.

The sonance is our best sub for the perfect mix of sq and spl"

Everyone that I know that has run them have all had great reviews.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Sounds good to me and I think this might be the sound I was looking for. I will have to meausure my trunk to see if I have enough space in there for them, because when I take the car on the road with the fam, I want to be able to remove the box and lock it up so that luggage can fit. Or maybe I will have to say no road trips in the caddy.

As far as the components do you think I would need 2 sets to compete with 2-15's?

Im online now researching the sonance!

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
well thats good, im looking in to gettin some sonance as well. i'm looking in to gettin a pickup and no room for my Alphas,

as for components it dont hurt to upgread, i would say wait and get like the 15"s in and if you feel you need to get them go for it lol

i never had any when i had my 15s

Gold Member
Username: Turnmat

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1077
Hey Kevin where are you from? If you want i might be able to swing down to Chicago and let you listen to my 2 12" RD Sonance's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Im fron Springfield, but I plan on making a trip to Chicago on the 18th or so to help with a foundation my wife is apart of and to listen to some gear. If you could that would be great. Im still waiting to hear from RD Audio, to see if they have a dealer in the Chicago land area.

Gold Member

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1078
Sure thing. By then i might have either the 2 12's or 4 of them.

My front stage and rear stage are setup so you should be able to tell if you will need to have two sets of comps in the front of your car.

I don't know if you can but if you can order them over the internet they are having a nice sale right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
That would be cool but Im still saving and I really want to hear all the subs on my list first before I make a final decision.

Where are you from?
Do you have one set or two in your car? and what kind?

Silver Member

Post Number: 636
Springfield MO?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Springfield, IL
Im a stooge for assuming that everybody would assume I was talking about IL. Yeah, Im from the small capital city, where there are more corn fields than dealers to listen to gear!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3520
So far as I know, RD is not sold in stores. Most underground equipment is pretty much sold online. I do most of my business online and never have a problem,. RD Audio's customer service is not bad and Steve (the owner)is usually easy to reach and will answer any questions or help with any of his equipment. He has been ill lately so try to have a lil patience if you are wanting to speak with him. You can also get ahold of Kevin Holden on here. He is a RD Rep as well. Not many Audio companies offer that nice perk. Try calling Kicker or JL Audio and ask to speak to the owner and see where that gets ya. lol

Gold Member

Www.j-designs.org

Post Number: 1080
I am from Racine WI and i have 2 12's right now. I only have 1 set of speakers for my front stage
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us