Best Materials?

Bronze Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 28
What is the best kind of wood to use?
I've heard MDF, HDF, Particle Board, and Advantech. I don't know which is best and don't have the money to test them all so your opinions would be helpful

Also, what is the best wood glue?
I've heard Titebond and Titebond 2 and there's a ton of others probably, so again, your opinions would be helpful

And yes there's more!

What are some guidelines for bracing?
Is there like a rule for number of braces per cu.ft?

Thanks in advance
-Smith

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11495
For a daily driver, I see no reason to use anything but 3/4" MDF. I think BLK used Advantech and had good results from it but he's trying to break 160 last time I was here lol.

As for glue, a bunch of people including myself use gorilla glue and it works good for me and everyone else.

Bracing, it depends on the power your running and the shape/size of the box. There isn't a guideline that I know of but just where ever the box could be weak, you need to brace.

What's your system? Sub and amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I have a Rockford P200.2 and I run either an old JL 10w6 or a Kicker CVR 12. I built the box for the JL myself. Its 1 cu.ft @ 33 Hz. Its built out of particle board.

The CVR's box is a pre-fab box for two subs that I modified for just one ported. Its like 2.3 cu.ft @ 32 Hz

I was just wondering cuz word is getting around at my school that I can build boxes well, so I want to be making a reliable product

Mainly the reason I asked was cuz I made a box for my friend and it kinda fell apart. It was a 6th order box for two Kicker L5 12s. The back was 6.5 cu.ft @ 32Hz and the front was 3.5 cu.ft @ 44Hz. I didn't use bracing and it sounded good and loud for the first couple days...then fail.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1944
advantech and baltic b are the strongest. really baltic is prolly best but it cost A LOT!
advantech is good but very hard to work with
trupan is what i am using to make a freinds box, its ligher and close to the same as mdf.

i say mdf or advantech. after using different kinds of wood i prolly will never use mdf again, but it is cheap if u don't use advantech(i think they are abotu the same price)

DON'T USE Particle Board
it sucks. i am actually going to get 5 or 6 different kinda of wood and do a drop test and make a vid to show everyone which is strongest

if u made a box and it fell apart... that is not good
glue everything and screw that baby togather good! resin all the corners!

what works good for braces is all thread! run some threw ur box and from the outside get some screws and make them tight. its like ur louding ur box, takes out the flex very good

gorilla glue works good, i use elmers wood glue. they are both strong. i can glue something togather and after it drys the box will break before the glue gives out.

Bronze Member
Username: Sundownz

Mooresville, NC USA

Post Number: 75
I prefer birch due to strength to weight. So much lighter than an MDF box but birch is somewhere around 3x stiffer.

Bronze Member
Username: Sundownz

Mooresville, NC USA

Post Number: 76
You, of course, pay for it... so I don't always use birch due to the cost. If funds were unlimited it would be birch all the way!

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4171
anyone use high density fiberboard? hdf? i wish i could get my hands on some to try.birch is awesome if its in the budget

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20715
Concrete.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2605
"word is getting around at my school that I can build boxes well"

"I made a box for my friend and it kinda fell apart"

Im confused? Did he just pwn himself?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3514
you think he pwned himself now, wait till he takes dBLK seriously.

As for the HDF. I know probox uses it. That is the only prefab that i would recommend and that would only be in certain circumstances

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1952
never used hdf

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4692
Gorilla glue is strong, but I would never use it again. Its messy and it foams up. Just use regular wood glue. The white kind.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
TWiZTiD,
The first boxes i made were fairly small, less than 3 cu.ft, so with proper construction there was no need for bracing cuz they were small. Those boxes were good.
Then I made a noob mistake and designed and built a box with a net volume of about 10cu.ft and I didn't use bracing and it flexed a ton and it "kinda fell apart"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us