OT: CDT COMPONENT HELP

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Fully Loaded BL 15?, IA US

Post Number: 2271
Ok i finally got my cdt HD-62s and kicker zx450.2 installed.

Im having a problem with them though.
Its hard to explain but its kinda like a sounding out thing or something wrong with the frequencies it amplifies.

The speakers sound quality is very good. What happens is on higher volume levels (43+), the speakers sometimes suddenly lose their sound quality and sound like they hollow out a little. When I lower the volume knob about 10 - 15 (out of 60 total), I can hear them return. Its like they go out and come back in. The volume level when it 'goes out' is not much lower than normally, it just loses its sq and 'hollows out'.

I dont know if this is a problem with the crossovers or what. It has me very confused. My deck is a Pioneer deh-7800p with a 16 band and many settings, but i dont think its the HU. Sometimes the speakers can play at 43 for a whole song and sound good the whole time. The other times though it acts as if it just says 'I dont want to sound this good anymore.'

The amp is wired 150rms x 2 @ 4 ohm. Each channel of the amp is wired to the crossovers input, and the midbass and tweeters inputs are wired out to the speakers. All positives and negatives are consistent.
The crossovers are closer to the rear of the car, and there is long speaker wire going to each speaker on each side in the front.

I dont know if anyone has any idea what im talking about or has seen somehting like this. I dont know anyone that can help me in person as of now or hear it for themselves so i started this thread............

Thanks for any input.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1649
your tweeters cutting out

Bronze Member
Username: Craudi0

Post Number: 63
well i'm pretty sure, at least with my alpine deck, that you aren't supposed to turn up the volume on your deck up over 3/4 of the total volume. you say that it starts to do that at 43/60, thats almost 75 percent, sooooo that could be it maybe. you might just need to turn up the amp for the speakers a little, rather than turning up the volume on the deck too much. idk

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15148
have mine about 10 mths now & i havent experienced that

my alpine amp does 100-125 wrms 12v-14.4 , 0 gain on the amp since its 6.5v out my deck , never really have much EQ on it since to me they dont need it, filter set to 50hz on my deck & amp too & they never did what yours is doing

maybe its too much power since some comps have a kind of built in protection circuitry in the passives which prevents it from blowing , use less vol on ur HU & listen what happens ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2272
yea il give that a test. less volume on the hu. It was about 75% because 48/60 is how i wanted my sytstem: when my system would get its loudest at the 75%. So at the vol. 43 i was underpowering them some in a sense.

Idk. its pretty confusing. There breaking in still too, but ill test them.

What do you mean for 0 gain on the amp Rovin? Is the gain turned all the way to the right, like MIN, or all the way to the left like MAX, less sensitive.

My Kicker has 2 input sensitivities. A 10 volt and 5 volt. It seems that when i have either of them on the gain needs to be turned to the middle at least or to the right more or they are far too quiet on low HU volumes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2273
No D, the tweeters dont cut out at all.

I dont know if they change sound along with the midbass drivers like what i was saying they did. They might be running fine and the midbasses are responsible for this sound quality drop and slight sound change...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15150
iirc my alpine amp has only up to a 4v accepted load imput so i have it set on its 4v position (least gain)

i dont use the LOUD button on my deck & like i said no settings is enhanced so i can carry my vol level high up into the 30s on most songs (vol level is only 40 on my premier 860)

this may be obvious to say but quality of music cud affect it too ...especially if u d\l some peaky distorted rips , they can make ur set sound like crap ...u do need to let ur speakers break in too ......

Gold Member

Post Number: 2274
Ya i have the LOUD off also.

Yea, i was going to test them with a real cd from the store. But ive been currently playing audio cds, mp3s, and alot of ipod, i have the pioneer ipod interface box so that should be ok mp3 quality also.

It seems that if i set my gain like yours all the way left (least gain), i would have trouble getting them loud at lower volumes. And if they are not getting reall loud currently at around 39 - 40, I need to turn my gain up to make the change to a lower volume level.

Ill mess around with it again and repost an update. Also they still need to break in. If only my car wasnt in the shop getting dents removed all day.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2692
I've actually encountered this a few time with my CDT CL-51i's. With mine it sounds like the tweeters are cutting out. At first I thought it was a loose connection, but when I restart the song it is fine. It only really does it on high volumes as well. It started doing it when I installed my DEH-p 5900 and rockford 250a2. No loose connections, never figured it out either as my car is gutted and won't get to play with it until I get a new vehicle.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1650
take the cover off the tweets, and switch it to -3 db

its your tweeters

Gold Member

Post Number: 2276
I adjusted my gain some and tweaked a few settings on the HU. That helped a little.

The biggest change I got so far was lowering the the crossovers to -3db for the tweets. This might have done it, the problem is practically gone now, but im not sure if they might do it again, I have to hear them more and they need more breaking in.

On the sound, the CDTs are amazing. The sq is awesome and they do get very loud, now, on this Kicker amp. The birth sheet for my zx450 came as 498rms .

Thanks for the help, I needed it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10542
It is the crossovers.

My CDTs have done this too at very high volume. What xovers did you get. Probably the 480s, which dont handle a ton of power and have protection curcuits built in for the tweeter that shuts them off.

Get 560s or better xovers should let you run more power.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1652
ahhh my work here is done...

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1653
okay so i just realized i told you to take the covers off the tweets and switch to -3. lol i meant the crossover's :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us