Sub size and enclosure questions???

Username: Nagymjr

Space Coast, FL USA

Post Number: 3
Hey Guys,

I'm a little perplexed right now in regards to sub size and enclosure type. I listen to a variety of music. Lots of Rock and alternative and some pop (sirius hits 1) with the wife/kids. I have a single 12" alpine in a sealed box with an MTX4202 driving it. I'm ok with it but I feel like I'm missing the upper frequency range and overall range.
EXAMPLE: My wife was playing "Boom Boom Pow" and the 12 would hit the real low tones but not much else. I thought that song would kick butt but it didn't. Then we were in her Eddie Bauer Explorer with the factory premium sound sys. I think it has a 8" woofer and the same song sounded great. it only missed the deep tone that my 12 would pick up.

This got me thinking back to my previous sub in my old truck. It was a single Orion 8" with dual vc in a bandpass and was awesome, but didn't hit the extreme lows.

Questions: would I be better off going back to the 8" bandpass? Maybe split the difference and go with a 10" ?

I want Sublime, Linkin Park, and Metallica to sound great along with some of my wifes pop music.

What are your thoughts on a single sub setup for my Jeep Wrangler??

Thanks for taking the time!!

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Fully Loaded BL 15?, IA US

Post Number: 2262
A sealed box would love the lows and make it easy for the sub, so that makes sense.

It most likely is your enclosure, id just check your settings like the HPF on the amp and cd player.

You COULD go bandpass, you could also put the 12 alpine in a ported box that is tuned slightly higher like 37hz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us