Turbine alternator

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 304
why doesn't someone make one?

just have a small scoop somewhere in your car that will power a turbine which would then replace your alternator.

i thought it was a good idea.....

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1835
What about stop and go traffic?

Bronze Member
Username: Tedsprogz

Nunya, Florida US

Post Number: 66
they could make one that runs off exhaust like a turbo. but at idle, output wouldnt be very high

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 694
X2 on what ted said

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3773
yeah I immediately thought of an empeller when I read this title. that could be a good idea.

Bronze Member
Username: Woofers4life

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 82
what if you could get it to run with your fan?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6516
If you run it off your fan its still the same load as if you run it off your engine. plus your fan isnt always on nor do you want it always on.

You wouldnt want a turbo alt due to all of the heat, its bad for the electrical components.

I have seen a few set ups where the alt is mounted on the rear axle and driven by the drive shaft. But then your alt only powers up when the car is moving.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20648
Technology needs a bit more evolving but I can see electric "around town" cars with batts that get charged during the day by the sun. Possibly solar panels molded into the roof of the car. Ideal if you have a reasonable commute to and from. The cost of producing these panels right now however doesn't make it appealing to the mass auto industry. Not to mention most plants are down sizing or closing the doors altogether. The thought of retooling the assembly lines is just.......not happening today. Plus with the average cost of silicon solar panels at or above $5-$7/watt they are a thieves delight.

Regenerative braking has been around for quite some time though but has only had minimal impact on the charging of the vehicle's batts.

When it comes to alternative energy it will always be cheaper to conserve a watt than produce it. This concept is meaningless to car audio guys lol but if you looked around even your own electrical system you will see power hogging issues and components dragging your batteries down further than necessary. Undersized cables and even miss calibrated amps draw more than they should.

They're your watts. Why not keep them?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4885
I have thought about something like that. But basically a turbine wind mill thing mounted in the grill with a air flow channel to turn the turbine, which would turn a small genset to supply electricity to the battery. This would be supplemental to a alt, so that the alt would only need to work at low speeds or higher current demands.

Upload

Also it would supply power to 32 sets of speakers....

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3776
seems just as cumbersome, to me, as an alternator. I like the idea of an empeller. only problem is low idle voltage.

just a thought, maybe the intake can be utilized for idle? 1000rpm is still quite a bit.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 695
well exhaust turbos to generate heat buttttttt some of heat is generated by the air being compressed why do you think super chargers have intercoolers? Plus the further you get from the engine the cooler the exhaust is, ever noticed that you can hold you had over the exhaust tip? So in my opinion an exhaust back turbo alt would be ideal. It will spin a lot more rpm's than engine will.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3778
intercoolers aren't necessarily required. they do help, but you don't NEED an intercooler.

if you're talking about heat, do you realize how much HP you lose, just to radiant heat? it's staggering. an intercooler actually negatively impacts air flow. which also takes away from HP.

anyway, I see what you're saying, but using an intercooler for a empeller driven "alternator" would almost be pointless unless you can figure a way to get that "cooler" air into the "alternator" to help with electronic efficiency.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3779
sorry i missed the last part, an exhaust back turbo, as you call it, I don't think would be very efficient as you aren't generating enough air flow/pressure to spin the alternator significantly to charge the battery.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3780
I'm drinking, sorry I'm only reading thirds of your post. you're going to get a greater amount of air flow during intake than you will with exhaust down the line. air flow is negatively impacted by cold air, so if air flow is the issue, then an intercooler wouldn't be necessary, for this alternator. In my opinion.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 699
lol thieves you assume too much, I'm not saying you NEED an intercooler or was I saying use an intercooler with a turbo atl. I brought up intercoolers to show that not all the heat is from exhaust gases but the heat generated by the air being compressed. this is why exhaust back turbo systems such as the STS systems don't have intercoolers. I almost guaranty that your muffler will get just as hot as your alt being under the hood maybe even cooler. This is a fantastic idea. And if heat becomes to big of a problem then have some kind of scoop to move air over it.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3781
I'm not talking about heat as far as your down the line exhaust idea, I'm talking about air flow and air pressure. I just don't see there being enough pressure to spin the "alternator" significantly to charge a battery.

to address your post, I think some sort of empeller is the best bet, and if heat becomes a problem is electronic efficiency, then add an intercooler and observe the results.

radiant heat is MUCH greater than heat created by the exhaust, your engine loses close to 51% of it's HP to radiant heat. The HP your vehicle is rated at is half of the actual HP, which you would see if not for radiant heat.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 702
I fully understand what you're saying about radiant heat, that's why a car will run like crap around town.

But the topic at hand is this alt idea lol. At idle it wouldn't move much but once you got some pressure built up it should be fine. Also if eat is a problem the put a fan on the alt like older chevy's had

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5180
I just give my hamster meth

Upload

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20656

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 1045
While we are on the topic of inventions... How bout someone invents an electronic remotely adjustable aeroport. It could be low tech (where it just moves from a switch) or high tech where it is wired to a small computer that calculates tuning frequency based off of box volume, port width and length, and other factors.

I really wanted to do this invention myself, but I dont see myself doing it. So all that I ask if someone does invent this is that they send me a couple free of charge.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4889
Thats been done, Sorta. It was in CA&E mag. It went from a ported to a sealed box with a solinoid activated switch. Also There is diagrams out there using relays to "rewire" your sub from say 1 ohm to 4 ohms with the throw of a switch. Combine those two for a daily and a street beat box from the drivers seat with 2 switches.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 1046
ehhh not quite the same

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10539
Some of you guys should hang out with the guy that invented direct exhaust injection, he could help ya out

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/16/asinine-engineering-direct-exhaust-injection/

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3791
you should go f*ck yourself. don't post if you have no valid input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us