New sub

Bronze Member
Username: D2freak

Post Number: 18
got my new sub today, really excited... tell me what ya think, I gotta hook this thing up to test it out

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3621
Looks like an old XTR if im not mistaken. Pretty good subs off ~300watts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
it's the 99 series HCCA 15D2, rated at 1200watts (well re rated, originally rated at 600)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3622
Even better, congrats man.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3446
great sub.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15130
old hcca is some good old skool stuff ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I built a box for it, cheesy, but it's to test it see how it sounds before I throw it in a nice box
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Woofers4life

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 86
nice box tell us how it sounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
this thing takes 1200rms, I slammed 1200rms on it at 1ohm with a bamf 2000D, supposed to be 1200rms@1ohm... I'm starting to think this thing ain't putting enough juice on this thing, it sounds amazing but it takes every bit of juice that thing puts out and doesn't distort at all, any better suggestions on a better amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3470
where is your gain set at?
where is your Bass boost set at?

other amps:
saz 1500
aq1200
kx1200 if you can find one

many other possibilities

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1797
theres a ddm1 on the site for sale that would be a good match of 1200wrms @ 1ohm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
bass boost is full, and gain is set full.... it sounds extremely good, but I really think it could take more, is this a descent amp? or should I switch?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
well here's a curious question... I went and looked at the book because I was really wondering about the way the speaker posts were on the amp,

They're setup like this - - + +
now normally I would think you would just bridge the two outside, or inside ones depending... but the book is saying I should hook the sub up to all of them, like I guess run an extra wire from one negative to the other, and same with positive...

can anyone verify how this should be hooked up? it's the PA (power acoustik) BAMF 2000D.

and from what I'm reading, I think I need to send the amp back, and buy something a bit more worthwhile.... because it's crap

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5200
Yeah PA is not something that is right for that (or any) sub. HCCA's are notoriously inefficient and you can pretty much throw their RMS ratings out the window. It could take 1700-1800 easily daily. The 2000D is a dual mono setup to run multiple subs but in your case just run the neg wire to one neg post and the pos to one pos post. Doesn't matter which.

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I'm thinking about going with alpine amps, their stuff that I've seen is really good... never heard much about the amps so if anyone knows give me some info, slam a 2 ohm amp on each voice coil or something, make that bad boy hammer!
then get a couple sets of Type X components or something, although when I listened to their stuff at the distributor I was more impressed with the type r's than the x's, but he said the x's he had out were the old model, so that may've had something to do with it, I've been banging my head as far as what to throw on this for a front end, looked at about everything, I'd like to throw hcca fronts in, but since I've never heard them I'm very skeptical about doin that. Those alpine's were pretty amazing so I'm REALLY considering those, and if the amps are anything near that to make them sound that good, hell ya! I'll throw them on there

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
thanx Brad for the info on the wiring but that's how I have it wired, I don't think it should make any difference on the amp how I have it, but from what it says I need to tie into both pos and negative terminals, which is wack... but that's what it says

Gold Member

Post Number: 3471
okay, where to start. First off, The --++ speaker connections are internally paralleled. Put your ground to either neg and your hot to either positive and it will suffice. It is there to make it easier to wire multiple subs and confuse noobs. lol
And yes the PA BAMF is cr@p.

2nd, turn bass boost off, and set your gains with a dmm.. Just because your sub "sounds great" and is handling the power that the Bamf is putting out, doesn't mean that you aren't sending the sub a clipped signal (and I guarantee you are clipping the fu<k out of it).. Which WILL eventually ruin the sub...

As for an amp to push that sub, get a rd1750, or a saz1500, ect and wire it the same way that you have it now.... set the gains properly to insure you are giving it clean power. the only problem I see is that putting over 1200 or so wrms on stock charging is not recommended. At least run a 2nd battery.(agm-kinetic, powermaster, ect..)

As forcomponent sets, there are plenty of good choices.. Look into Diamond Audio, CDT, Focal, Morel, RD,DD,ect.. For the best bang for your buck, the CDT's are hard to beat. As for Alpine amp's, they are solid. but deciding on the correct amp, will depend on the comp set you choose. . And you will need to properly install the comp set to get the best out of them(pods, sound deadning doors, ect)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
thanx Mark, your post is very helpful

a heads up on everything though, I didn't at all start with the gain all the way up just cause the sub can take it, it was gradually turned up while listening to it, this is in the back of an SUV, so it's hard for the seat to eat up distortion, and clipping. I turned the gain up while listening to IASCA's sq cd, when I got it all the way up I turned it up then back a little ways, I usually don't like to use the boost on amps at all, but I turned it up the same up then back.
The sub is clean, and I'm sure that it could take more power than is on it, but obviously I would rather not ruin my sub, I read reviews on the amp saying it was a good amp on car audio mags site.
As far as the charging system, it's got a kinetic battery in it, ran 4 gauge into a 6 farad cap. I understand ohm's law, I've been through a electronic class which seemed to pay off a while back. Just hadn't seen an amp that was setup that way before, I did the outside terminals, just thought maybe the amp might've setup 2 channel style with those leads, just wanted to be sure from someone about them.
And for the front end, those are all good suggestions, and actually those are the brands I've been looking at minus RD, not sure what DD is. I've been.
I know a cap isn't much help, but it puts a steady drain on the battery instead of the big surges from the amp. This isn't the car that's staying in, I actually pulled the amp out last night, because I wanted to just test the sub, and amp out before I really got after things (lot of work just to test it). I had already had it wired for the most part from putting components in all the way around, which sound really good on a little mtx thunder (old school). I used to have the HO to go with it, and the bridge, kinda kicking myself for getting rid of it because it've made that sub sound really sweet and probably done a ton better than that PA.
Oh ya, from what you're sayin about the components, I shouldn't go with Alpine then, but the amps are pretty solid so I might check into 'em but I was gonna try to go with them all the way around. I was considering an Audis amp on the fronts though, set it up with a center channel bridged into it. (still questioning the center, but it's a thought). Really been looking hard at Focal's though lately, I'll check into the CDT's they sound like something I might be interested in from what you're saying.
Your post is a big help, and I plan to deadening the whole car, and considering pods. I have a sweet deck, the Eclipse CDT 7200, so I should have a little leeway on placement with the time alignment, although it could take some time to get it perfect, sometimes getting the staging right on that is a bisnatch. Also I'll check into the DMM for when I hook everything back up, plan to build a custom fiberglass enclosure, just wanted to test out the enclosure size and port length before I did though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us