Component vs 6.5" + 3.5" Combo

Username: Liaoip

Post Number: 1
Hello Everyone,

I have a little dilemma where the front of my car has both front door speakers (6.5") as well as front dash speakers (3.5"). I'm in the process of planning my speaker upgrades but I'm not sure if i should

1) Buy component speakers and install the tweeters where the front dash speakers are right now.

or

2) Get a good 6.5" for the front door and a good 3.5" for the dash to replace the stock speakers.

I know the wiring/crossover will be a little more complicated for option 2, but I'm thinking that option 2 will give me better sound since the 3.5" will cover a wider frequency range then just having a tweeter in the dash. Plus, I'm not sure if having a tweeter in the dash will be annoying or not since it will mostly be highs.

Any suggestions or experiences you've had with this setup would be appreciated! Thanks.

P.S. If I go with option 2, how would I hook up 6 speakers (including the rear) to a 4 channel amp, especially if they are 2 Ohm Infinity Kappas?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10529
Ignore the dash speakers and install components in the doors like normal. Put tweeter close to the mid. Nothing else there is a good idea. And infinitys are not that good.

Username: Liaoip

Post Number: 2
I don't see how I would be able to mount the tweeters close to the mid. The only place to mount the tweeters would be where the 3.5" speakers originally were in the dash. But if I do that, I'm worried that the high's will be way to pronounced. Btw, if you don't think infinitiy's are that good, what else would you recommend? I don't have money to burn so I'm looking at Infinity Kappa, Alpine MM and Bostom Acoustics SL range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us