What is a Pre-Amp? (RE: ALPINE 7903 )

Anonymous
I just got an Alpine 7903 CD player. Some folks say this needs an amplifier for it to power up.

I tried to hook it up directly to the battery terminal for testing but it won't power up, and will just spark a bit.

The Alpine 7903 wire has yellow(with a fuse), a red and a black. The rest of the wire has a label.
I know black is the ground. I tried every possible combinations of yellow/red/black but it will not power up.

Any input on this? What will be the connection of the Alpine 7903 terminal to the amplifier? I assume amplifier has only red(+) and (-)negative wires.

Thanks!

Anonymous
up....

Jack Hassek
Yes the 7903s is a PREAMP - meaning it has pre-outs that are meant to lead to an amplifier(s), which is used to power the speakers.

This is about the alpine 7903 that is not working.
Alright the red wire is power wire and needs to hooked to the positive (+) on the battery as well as the yellow wire which (memory wire) also needs to be hooked up to the (+) on the battery. Then the Black wire, which is the ground, needs to be hooked to the (-) negative on the battery.
Afterall that if the player still don't power up then there is something wrong with it because an amp ain't going to power up the cd player.

yellow is constant +12V (battery)
red is switched ignition +12V
black is ground
I have a 7903 sitting in the basement on a shelf.
great head units.
I used to own about 5 of them
sold and installed tons of them too, back about 1991
a pre-amp (pre-out) is the RCA connection that you run to an amplifier.
the 7903 supplies no internal power for speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us