Amp selection for tight budget

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2963
My friend is wanting to get a system for his car and has set a budget of somewhere around $350-400.

I know that's like 1/4 the price of a good amp, but that's a high schooler's budget.

Today he was like "Dude can you help pick good stuff for a system" and I decided I didn't want him going around with a system that could be better.

He says he's considering a pair of speakers (4x6 is *factory* size), a single sub (small truck = tight space), and an amp for power (under the seat).

I pointed him at a pair of infinity speakers (4x6) with round drivers (2-way speaker) or another (better, cheaper) pair that would work better if he could make it larger. I favor the plus-one stuff.

For a sub, I didn't point him anywhere but showed him a bit of what to look for. Subs at this price range are difficult. Help :-)

Amps.. I told him to go by cont. ratings and ignore peak for now. I had to explain the difference between them. Amps are hardest within this budget IMO (power w/quality comes with $$$).

He wants good sound that can be a bit loud without blowing/breaking it. He listens to stuff like Killswitch Engage and similar stuff.

Thanks for.. just basic help. I haven't been at this for like a year (car audio, I've been in home audio).

Tannnnnks

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4946
For a sub/amp combo go with a Tube. A powered Bazooka tube will do nicely they have decent output for the money...

Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6963
Look for old school amps like MTX/Xtant/RF. They can be had for $100 or less with decent power.
As for subs, stay away from Pyramid/Pyle/Sony crap. Since your friend is in a tight budget, get a good quality 8" - 10" sub with a well designed box. It'll do wonders.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us