Box building help

Username: D2freak

Post Number: 2
I've built many sealed boxes, but never a ported. I'm working on trying to get a box ready for a ported enclosure, having some issues.
I'm working with a 99 HCCA 15D
calls for
Port Length 14"
Port Diameter 2 4"
Intelli- Q setting 33hz @8db

Well here's the issue, I've tried using box calculaters and such, just playing around, and everytime I change the dimensions of the box and such, it changes the frequency of the box. how do I build with these stats and keep the 33hz or is that a dynamic number that can change, I'm not understanding. Or do I, or can I change the port length and diameter, instead of the tuning frequency?

Post Number: 5
from what I've seen the 4ft3 and 33hz is the important part, why do they list the port diameter and port length for this? are those supposed to be static too?
or is the port length and diameter for a round port? I think that might've been what I was missing
Please help

Gold Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 1040
What is the ideal size for your sub? When you figure out how big your box needs to be for the sub then you can determine the port length, width and tuning.

Post Number: 6
what do you mean ideal size for the sub? it's a 15", has a 7.5" mounting depth, mounting diameter is 13.875, displacement is 503inches3
does it matter what the port length and width is, if it ends up coming out to 33hz? I mean with everything put together it comes out to 33hz

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6711
When you use the calculator.. simple input box size

then enter port size..

adjust length to desired tuning

build.

:-)

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6712
"does it matter what the port length and width is, if it ends up coming out to 33hz? I mean with everything put together it comes out to 33hz"

yes, target 12-16 square inches of port

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6713
.. forgot to mention aero ports require less because the flow is more efficient

Post Number: 7
where are you getting the 12-16 inches from? is that on the aero port? Because I wanna do a slot port.

the calculator I'm using gives me a place to change port width and port length
here's what I came up with, maybe it's totally wrong but here goes
Box Width 30
Height 18.5
Depth 19
Wood 1"
Port hght 17.5
port width 3
port lngth1 15
port lngth2 6
ttl length 26.5
port diam 17
port area 52.5
Volume Int 1396.25
displacemnt1411.25
Box Vol 4.004ft3
Tune Freq 32.97

maybe a little too detailed, but did I screw that up?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6714
according to that you have 52.5 square inches of port which is fine.. for 4 cubes you need to be between 48/64

Post Number: 8
it lists, 3 types of boxes.
the one I just posted was for SQ, says it will play the best overall, give really low freq so on.
Also gives a boomer box that requires 4.25ft3 and 40hz
also SPL (only supposed to use for db drag or damage subs) 4.75ft3 lists 50 and 60hz for freq

which should I use for everyday listening and competing? I would like to compete for both spl and sq, not sure if that's possible, but my main goal is the db's... but I'm not entering in a db drag or somethin with 1 15 lol

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6716
there is no mix..

if you want to compete on a serious level, build two boxes

Post Number: 9
Okay, well I'm curious here, where did you get the 48/64 I'm banging my head against a wall trying to figure this crap out, another guy on another forum is telling me my port needs to be 4x3... that's nuts?
I've been looking for a conversion, as far as I can tell it's based on Surface Area
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us