The true meaning of Ohm

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 198
so pretty soon i'm gonna start buying up my new sounds, starting with the mono amp and sub and herein lies the question.

I'm gonna buy a DD9515 which is stable down to .5 Ohms, but i don't wanna push it that low, i just want a respectable 4000 W/RMS out of it for daily use (when i say daily i mean, every single day). I wanna get a Stetsom amp to power this beast, the issue i'm having is i wanna get an amp that will give me 4000 at 1 Ohm. I've got my eye on the Stetsom V6KD but this gives 4000 at 2 Ohms. My understanding is the lower the Ohms the harder the bass will kick, the alternative option is to go for the Stetsom V4KD.

What do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2787
"My understanding is the lower the Ohms the harder the bass will kick"

Uhhhhh no? Subs have different ohm loads to have more options of wiring. When you buy your 9515, there's probably an option for D1 so you can wire it to your Stetsom amp at 2 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Bumpin_buick

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 237
DO yourself a favor and find out the voice coil configuration first, assuming its a D1, you can wire it to 2ohm or .5ohm or if its a D2 you can wire it to 1ohm or 4ohm. Find that out first so we can help you more.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10456
If you're ordering that sub new from DD you should be able to custom order it with whatever ohm coils you need

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 199
right fella's you guys have given me the answer i was looking for, all this time i was trying to find a 1 ohm amp to give me 4000 rms because i thought the bass would be louder but i was wrong. as long as the sub is getting that 4000 watts it makes no difference whether its at 1, 2 or even 4 ohms

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10459
Right. Amps are designed for a certain impedance (ohms) usually 1 or 2 ohms for sub amps. And then you need subs with the right coils to wire to that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us