Adding batteries

Username: Ridicbass07060

Nj

Post Number: 6
i saw a post similar to the one im making but i dont want to post dump. i will be running a massive audio p1500 and two rd subs. i have a battery up front i just put in from pep boys i dont know the brand but its a standard battery i think. i dont know if my electrical system will be good enough to satisfy the p1500, i dont want it to blow. would adding another battery in the trunk help? like a kinetic baterry in the back. would that be good enough. im trying to stay away from getting a high output alt. i dont plan on upgrading my system at all after this set up. also i dont want to do the big three unless some one from jersey wants to help me do it bcause i think i would surely f it up haha what do you guys suggest? thanks for the help in advanced

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team dc audio, Pa Usa

Post Number: 2086
a battery in the back would help yes. get a agm style battery aka optima kinetik odyssey

Nj

Post Number: 7
ok thanks... it wouldnt matter much that the battery under the hood is different right? and when i get this battery would i just do + to + rear batt to front
- to - rear to front
and then connect the positive from the back battery to the amp and the ground wire i already have in my trunk to the amp negative? with fuses on both ends of each battery + and - ?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3354
technically you should use a battery isolator when mixing batteries for a few different reasons.

as for fusing, please read entire page. You will learn some very important things that anyone messin' with car audio outta know.

http://www.bcae1.com/

look at the directory to the far right of thgis page and scrool down to #14 and open it, then read.
Bookmark that site as well.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10453
x2 whats mark said.

Batteries have slightly different resistences which would cause them to drain each other over time. That is why you need an isolator when running 2 different batteries. If both are exactly the same you can get away with a straight + to + connection.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6666
easier just to run the same batts

that and kinetiks have a higher float voltage than your standard battery

Nj

Post Number: 8
thanks guys... :-) im jim btw. ill be here for a while. car audio is my new hobby haha hope you all are patient. thanks for all the help

Nj

Post Number: 9
i just bought the battery thats under my hood. its brand new and i dont want to replace it so ill probably just buy another one of the same batteries. Will i be good with those two batteries in my car when running a massive audio p1500? i have a 2002 chevy malibu. the alt is either 105 or 120 amps. i don't want to mess with installing a battery isolator or big three upgrade. thanks guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 3362
i would not recommend it, Your goal is to try to have enough battery reserve so that your amp doesn't drop your voltage enough to hurt your amp. There are reasons that Audio series batteries are produced, sold, and used. I would venture to say without knowing what battery you are referring to, that the batteries would not last very long due to excessive drainage and that they would not suffice in keeping your voltage steady enough. Then your looking at problem with overworking your factory alt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3363
and w/o the HO alt, the big 3 is not very beneficial.and some would argue that increasing current flow(normally a good thing-hence the need for big 3 upgrade) with an underpreforming electrical system, could make the situation worse by allowing the amp to draw current more efficiently hence allowing your voltage to drop even more. either way you should upgrade your electrical to where it will help[ you is some way , but you are bucking a very important part of a long lasting sound system. Bottom line, it is your stuff and you are asking for advice, but don't want to "mess" with installing the bare minimum. If Car audio is you new hobby, you might want to stay away from the higher-end or higher powered setups until you grasp the importance of your electrical/charging system. I have done worse scenerios than you are talking about doing, I understood the dangers and was willing to take the chances. The amps I was using had no problem handling the voltage drop, but IF your Massive is one of the old school Massive amp, I would seriously reconsider if the amp means anything to you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3364
Triple post FTL. lol

BTW, welcome to Ecoustics. I hope you learn/ like it here as much as I have/do.

Nj

Post Number: 10
Thanks mark :-) I appreciate that. Its the massive audio amp that has the lit up led through the middle. Alright looks like its time to spend some money. I guess ill get two matching kenetic batts. That should do the trick? Maybe ill try the big three as well. Your right. I want to get the best out of my amp and subs

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 11
Woops sorry no big three I don't have an ho alt and you said it wouldn't be beneficial without that... Thanks for the help guys

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 12
I want to add a kinetic under the hood bur do they make batteries with a side post? My car needs a side post battery up front :/ guess I'm going to just have different batts and get help with installing an isolater.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1813
i would just keep what u have under the hood and get some kinetics in ur car as a bank.

i know every one on this forum will say different but to me its not worth the money putting a dry cell under the hood when u can keep what is already in.

me and many of my freinds have kinetics of all different sizes and a normal battery under the hood. we have had it like this for at least a year and a half. not any problems with the normal battery under the hood

well.. my batter under the hood did die but it was like 5 or 6 years old so its time was coming

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2782
he was right about nobody listening to him, so don't listen Jim.

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 13
does kinetic make batteries with side posts? if not how would i get one under my hood when my car takes side post batteries?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2786
yeah they do, I was looking at them earlier this week. Go onto ebay and search kinetik side posts. Pops right up.

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 604
google is your friend

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 15
Believe it or not but I tried google and a couple of batt sites listed on here lol maybe I'm just bad at searching. Thanks snow :-)

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10457
Don't limit yourself to kenitik.... Odyssey makes batteries of equivelent physical size that will outperform them.

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 16
Thanks M.S. And on ebay looking at those kinetic adapters I don't even understand how it would work in my car trying to connect a kinetik battery to my car which takes batteries that have side posts. If I decide to go with kinetik ill research more. I'm going to also look into the battery you mentioned M.S thanks.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 605
On the whole mixing batteries thing, I did that once. I put an optima yellow top in the trunk, and kept the autozone up front. Within a year the autozone was dead, and the yellow top only lasted 2yrs when it should have lasted 4-5yrs. The whole mount thing, most Batt companies make top and side post.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10462
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm

The 1230 and 1500 have side posts and will fit most all vehicles that use them. I run the 1500 myself and its the strongest battery I've seen of its size.

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 18
M.S your the best man lol thanks

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10466
np man just if you get the 1500 makes sure the demensions will fit first... it wont on all vehicles

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 606
I think I'm going to invest in two of those 1500s, where's the cheapest place to get them?

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 21
X2

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10467
summitracing.com was when i got mine, who knows now though... search the web

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 22
sorry for all of these annoying questions M.S. but if i switched the battery under my hood to the 1500 with no ho alt or big three how much would that improve my charging system? good enough to run 1200-1500 rms or would a second in the trunk be better

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 608
How much does ur current alt put out?

The cheapest I found a 1500 shipped is like 257

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 23
i found one for 232.00
http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc1500dt-battery.html?utm_source=Google&utm _medium=Base&utm_term=odyssey-pc1500dt-battery&utm_campaign=Base

my alt right now puts out 105amps. i was told my maassive audio p1500 was overrated and only does 12-1300 though but idk if thats true though. heres my amp
http://desonido.com/carro/images/P1500-1C-small.jpg

Bronze Member

Nj

Post Number: 24
shipping is like 20 though so your right around 250

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10474
Looks like summit is selling them for 250 also.... when i got mine it was on sale for 220 with free ship......

Both battery and alternator are essential to a good electrical system but you can try just upgrading the battery and see how it works. It will be an improvement over stock, will it be good enough maybe.

And yes massive audio amps are over rated, not the best quality either.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 609
summit is going to put shipping on it too though.

MS you think 2 1500 would do the trick for 2200-2700 watts? I'm still waiting on a HO alt

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10485
Depends on how long youre gonna beat on it for. The problem of not enough alternator happens over time as you draw more current from the batteries than it can replace. What are you waiting for, I'd get it for sure. It better not be cost cause what you'll spend on that extra battery could be spent on alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4639
Massive audio =

I use odyssey batteries. The best batteries I have ever used.

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Omaha/council bluffs, Iowa

Post Number: 828
there is a guy selling some c&d batteries for a decent price on ca.com there pretty good batts also
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us