Help find the right HU for me

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10436
Well I've been throwing around the idea of getting a new HU. Reason, I want bluetooth cell phone capability. The JVC unit i have is a few years old now but still works fine. I had planned on buying the bluetooth adapter for it (not built in) and the cheapest I can find it is $100......

So that got me thinking, I'd really like one of those touchscreen flip out units. But I cant find one with the features I need. Requirements are:

--- Bluetooth cell phone capable
--- USB input (front or rear)
--- Sirius vehicle tuner compatible

Pretty much, this would be great if it had USB

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-D106

And this would be great if it were sirius compatible. (not a filp out i know but still a nice display)

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2009/multimedia/multimedia_source_unit/VZ3 09/us-en-product-pf_1172409024042.html

So yeah, can't find anything perfect Hopefully somebody can help me out here. (calling brad and nick) :-)

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1677
XM and Sirius are now combined, so go with the clarion...

or the alpine, since you will now have your alpine prodduct that you keep tellin everyone else to get..

or you can get a Pioneer

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6635
"Pretty much, this would be great if it had USB"

So? Built in Ipod interface.. just use an ipod.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1678
actually this has everything and its a screenhttp://www.woofersetc.com/p7942/TWNT1--JVC-Bluetooth-Wireless-Technology-DVD-CD- USB-SD-Navigation.htm

jvc>alpine???

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6637
I have a jvc usb h/u in my wifes car, I hate it. JVC makes ok equipment but I won't run another one again

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10437
" XM and Sirius are now combined "

Doesn't matter, an XM tuner module still is different hardware than a sirius tuner module. So all clarion units are out since no sirius only XM compatibility.

" So? Built in Ipod interface.. just use an ipod. "

Don't have an ipod, I want USB....

" actually this has everything and its a screen "

Double din, no good....

Keep em comin

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1685
your so high maintenance M.S.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6647
"Don't have an ipod, I want USB.... "

Is there a certain reason?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10440
1) I don't have extra money to spend on an overpriced and over-hyped device (esp not with what one of those HUs is going to cost)

2) USB is universal. I can connect any flash drive or mp3 player. I bought my current JVC for the USB input and i'll never buy a HU without it now.....

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6655
Buy a cheaper h/u with ipod interface which would make up for the cost of the actual ipod

I personally do not like ipods, but lets face it... more and more items are having ipod connections.. they are just everywhere

Besides that, what will you do what everything switches to USB 2.0 .. are there even any h/us that work with that yet? USB 1.0 = Slow

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10441
everything pretty much is 2.0
usb 1 is long since gone

I think i may have found something

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/DVD-Receiv ers/AVH-P5100DVD?tab=B

Now I'll have to figure out if what im hearing out the RCA issues being fixed on the new pioneers is true or not..... if it is, maybe I'll consider that....

I'm starting to think maybe i can't afford the unit i want though... may just end up keeping my current one and buy the bluetooth adapter

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2955

quote:

Besides that, what will you do what everything switches to USB 2.0 .. are there even any h/us that work with that yet? USB 1.0 = Slow

Everything is USB 2 now...

a thumb drive is soooo much more convient than an ipod, and a hell of alot cheaper. Plus it's just as fast if not faster than an ipod connection.

Lose a 16gb thumbdrive, you are out 15 bucks, lose a 16gb ipod, you are out ~$200+

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 601
What about this one?

CD7200 mkII

http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/cd/cd7200overviews.html

Just a thought.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10442
That one does everything but doesn't have a big display... and for what it costs it should

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6658
thats a great SQ deck.. also a dead head which is nice

what you pay in cost you get in quality..

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6659
btw, the comment on ipods being slow.. i never noticed an ipod being slow with my h/u

quicker to load than the 4gb usb for my wifes h/u

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10444
In my noisy old truck I'll bet anyone you wouldnt notice a SQ difference between headunits. Would be hard enough even in a good listening enviornment. Agreed that eclipse is very nice but doesnt have the full color display i want.

Sigh..... looks like maybe that pioneer is my one and only option? Don't think i can afford that. Plus the adapter it needs for bluetooth. And no remote included wtf.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10470
I am really liking the look of this

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028484&pathId=133&page=2

Its a single din with a touchscreen..... looks pretty sweet. And that unit does EVERYTHING. Bluetooth built in, compatible with the jvc sirius adapter i already have.....

What you guys think. It's $450. More than i want to spend but im thinking about it. Only issue is ive always hated HUs without a volume knob but maybe i can get over that.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1703
"ive always hated HUs without a volume knob "

get over it lol

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2789
Why not just spend the 450 or 500 on a regular flip-out rather than the one you showed. I'm sure you can get a decent one for $500.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10472
Um where have you been lol, the only units that do everything i want are the ones posted here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us