Speaker help please!

Username: Newbie111

Post Number: 2
im new to the aftermarket car audio world but i am looking for a great set of mids and highs that will give great sound for a decent price around 200 a set, I was thinking about the type s 6.5 component system and the type s 6x9's... any ideas?
Im also looking at either two alphine x-types 12's or 2 jl audio w7, 12's which set would you prefer that will give a better sound?

Post Number: 3
Come on everyone.I read the posts so I know there are many people with alot of knowledge on the car audio game. I am just looking for you to share a little bit with the new guy. I know that obviously new members dont get to many responses but I really need some help on this issue. Not looking to enter competitions but I am looking for deep low bass and very crisp and clear mids and highs. Also the speakers are going into a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1424
well we could start with a complete budget. if your gonna have 2 w7's(which i would take over the x's) then it would be stupid to have speakers going straight form the HU because they couldn't keep up if they tried. I think many could agree theirs much better out there then type s's also. so on top of that 200 would you be considering an amp. also what do you have for a HU.

another thing to keep in mind if your not going for crazy bass 2 w7's might be over kill. i have one 10w6 in my car now and it put out plenty of bass for my liking's

Post Number: 4
Joseph, Thanks for responding! I really have a flexible budget at this moment. I just know what kind of sound I want. I have an older pioneer but Im also looking to upgrade to an in dash monitor that will have enough power for my system and also give a great sound. Again Im willing to bend on the 200$ budget for the component system. Which do you think are alot better? I have been also looking at the jl audio 1000/1 amp but Im actually open on that one as well. I understand the overkill part, as Ive done research on the w7's most people who have them only have one. Since I am new to this I always thought that I would need more speakers to have great bass in such a big trunk and car. Is that not true? I want the bass hitting hard and loud enough to be able to hear me coming about a block away and not just to hear the bass but to actually hear what sound im playing with a crisp and clear sound.
I was also told that I would need to upgrade my cars alt to help support the system and also use dynamat to stop the trunk rattling. What do you think? Thanks again for responding, Im just really new to this and as you can see need quite a bit of help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Can someone help me please?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4662
Some people don't use rear speakers. I would invest in a nice component setup in the front. For $200 you can find a very nice component set. I use memphis 15msync6 components. I use to have them powered by a jl 450/4 amp @ 150rms per side.

JL is some expensive equipment. I don't buy the jl w7 mainly because of the reconing issue. If the sub blows and you bought it from a place that doesn't cover it, your screwed. I would look elsewhere for a subwoofer setup. Don't get me wrong, the w7's are nice. But @ 500-600 ea I would definitely look elsewhere. As for amps, the jl 1000/1 is a nice amp definitely. But again, you can get more power for less money than the cost of 1 new jl 1000/1.

Don't restrict yourself to only JL equipment. Post over at the subwoofer section with a budget and the amount of power you have in mind. I'm sure many people will help you out.

Username: Maclaine22

Shillong, Meghalaya India

Post Number: 1
Hi i have a sony xplode speaker box which is 300 watts. while driving i have the problem that the sound of the speakers is low but when i play when im not driving it become high and good. can you please tell me what would be the problem.

Username: Desmo4usa

Modesto, CA USA

Post Number: 4
For really exquisite sound Focal K2P's are some of the best I have heard and I got mine from a dealer who was going out of business for right around what you are looking to pay. So I would suggest you do a lot of searching and listening. It will also depend to you amp and crossovers. My amp is no longer made, a Phoenix 475 Ti, but it is also one of the best I have ever heard. It has 4 Linkwitz-Riley crossovers which beat any passive crossovers including MB Quart and Focal

Username: Jnl

Waterford, MI USA

Post Number: 1
John,

Sounds like you may need to invest in a capacitor, especially if you are pushing a lot of wattage in the subwoofer channel. Do your headlights also dim, or pulsate with the bass? If yes, then that's a sure sign you need to install a capacitor. In general, you'll need one fared per 1000 W of power, so if you're pushing 1500 W, then you'll need at least a 1.5 fared capacitor, and so on. In your case a .5 farad capacitor would be all you'd need IF your headlights ARE dimming. I hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 210
Jeff, the fact that you're suggest somebody should purchase a capacitor shows the level of knowledge you have. Before you try to give advice, learn a little bit.

Come back here a few months down the road when you're hopefully a smarter guy. Best of luck on your knowledge journey. Start at www.bcae1.com and go from there.

Username: Desmo4usa

Modesto, CA USA

Post Number: 5
Exactly. The total power available is what comes out of the alternator. The only way to get more power is to install a larger alternator and this will draw more power form the engine to derive that extra power, and of course will burn more gasoline. A capacitor can only smooth pulses if they exist. I could never understand where people got the idea that a capacitor could provide more power. They must also be believers in perpetual motion as well.

Username: Jnl

Waterford, MI USA

Post Number: 3
Damon and Jonathan,

Where did either of you get the idea that I tried to imply that a capacitor would increase the amount of amperage coming from the alternator? A capacitor is nothing more than an electrical storage device which gets charged via the alternator, stores that energy, and when an amplifier calls for the excess energy stored in it, (due to the inability of the charging system to supply that amount of current) it discharges in order to supply the extra boost of current, which the amplifier needs, but is in excess of what the alternator has the ability to produce. Then, it recharges itself from the alternator/charging system, (in the blink of an eye) so that it can stand ready for/when the need for more amperage than the alternator can produce, and/or deliver on a constant basis is needed again. It is simply a buffer, like an electrical shock absorber and not a producer of electricity as both of you seem to gotten from what I wrote, so my suggestion for both of you is that you seek a course in reading comprehension. Oh, and by the way I tried to make it very clear to John, (the gentleman with the problem) by capitalizing the two words IF, and ARE that this may help in resolving his problem, (if this was the case). Seeing as both of you are so quick to call me out, and questioning my intellect, and/or advice, (as if either of you know more than I do) why haven't you suggested the solution to his problem, rather than try to trample on what I have written? After all, john is only pushing 300 watts of power, and if he's only experiencing this phenomenon while he's driving, (as he clearly stated in his post) I offered the suggestion, but only if he was noticing his headlights pulsing with the beat of his music while he was driving. If the two of you are so knowledgeable about automotive audio systems, then I would think you could tell john exactly what his problem was, but since neither if you have offered him a solution to his problem... Well, I guess I'll just let that speak for itself!!!

Damon, this is directed entirely at you... I happen to be a Certified Master Mechanic with over 30 years experience as a professional mechanic. I have probably forgotten more than you will ever know about car audio systems, and if you would care to match whit's with me, (especially from a technical, and/or an electronics standpoint) bring it on bro because I'm sure that I can blow you out of the water with my many years of experience.

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 211
You might be a "certified master MECHANIC with over 30 years experience....as a MECHANIC," but that does not involve audio one bit. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd realize a capacitor is nothing more than a band-aid for a larger problem. Capacitors are marketing gimmicks. Head over to the subwoofers section, where at least a few smart people reside (not many), and try to claim that capacitors are a TRUE solution for what you've suggested. You'll be laughed out of that forum.

What should one do if his lights are dimming? Buy a capacitor or upgrade the electrical system in a REAL sense? He's going to go with option #2 if he has a brain. Adding an additional battery is a smart place to start.

And Jeff, I'll be happy to go head to head with you. Let's talk about a few technical things of audio and also a few things about the industry itself. Some objective and subjective questions for you:

At what point is a driver's impedance the highest? (easy)

Name 3 of the world's best amplifier designers.

JL Audio's products are manufactured (read: not assembled) in what country(ies)?

What is transshipping and how does it hurt the mobile electronics industry? (easy)

What is the biggest disadvantage of a ring radiator tweeter, and how must one use a ring radiator tweeter to defeat this disadvantage?

What is the function of the gain knob on an amplifier? (easy)

Image Dynamics was previously owned by an Asian investor and was partnered with what other audio company in the industry today? How much was Image Dynamics sold for, and when did it sell?

Someone is in the market for an Arc Audio Flat Line and decides to consider purchasing another sub just like the Arc Audio Flat Line, the sub that the Flat Line is based off of. What other sub are they considering?

So there's a little bit of everything for you Jeff. Technical, industry-related, product-related, etc. I'd like to see your answers to some of these. If you know as much as you say you do, then blow me out of the water with your many years of *mechanic* experience. Things don't always work out so well when you don't know who you're challenging.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us