Old truck, new system?

Username: F150kid

Post Number: 1
What's up world. I gotta 1993 Ford F-150 that has 0 options in it. We're talkin bare-bones bench seat single cab. I have a decent head unit, but a nice amp, nice door speakers, and pretty good back speakers. All i need now is a good sub. The head unit i have has a sub option on it, so i know i just run a wire from that to the amp, and then a wire from the amp to the sub. My problem is i cant find a box-sub combo that will fit behind the seat of my truck. The amps back there so the box can only be around 2 feet long, and im hopein for less than 6in depth, and height doesn't really matter. either a 10 or 12 sub will be great. Im 17 and lets just say i aint got any money trees growin out in the yard.
your help would be much appreaciated!

Bronze Member
Username: Dangeranger

Ohio United States

Post Number: 62
how much money are you working with? what type of amp do you have? can you build your own box?

Post Number: 2
just for a single sub and box, i was just thinkin no more than like $120-$150 and $200MAX cause im movin back down to texas after i graduate so im only gonna have this truck for like 2 more years, no sence in payin 500 bucks for speakers.
As for the amp, i gotta JBL gtq360 in there, im not sure on wattage and stuff, it was my dads and he let me have it and i put 4 speakers through it.
I could probably build my own box, but id really like to find somthin already constructed if possible. if not then just give me a good sub suggestion!
thanks adam.

Post Number: 3
Also, ive looked at subs like the Sony XS-LB10S or the XS-LB12S to let ya know what stuff's interestin me...
but those won't fit im pretty sure.

Bronze Member
Username: Dangeranger

Ohio United States

Post Number: 68
I don't know too many things about this, but I know you want to stay away from sony, pyle, pyramid etc... And well you really need a different amp. Any way you could get your hands on a monoblock or 2 channel amp?

Post Number: 4
is there somthin wrong wtih the one i got? i mean im not lookin for highquality stuff here. basically ive decided to build my own box. but i need to know what subs are good. ill either do one 12in, or one 10in, or (dependin on price) two 10's. I just dunno what to look for in a sub. I know they need to be shallow mounts. if you could just give me links to some reasonably priced, good subs that'd be great.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6507
i dont feel like look up your amp specs but it sounds like its a 4 channel. run two speakers in the front off of it. then bridge the two rear channels and get some pioneer shallow mount subs and wire it to a 4ohm see the12volt.com for wiring.

Post Number: 5
Mat, is there anyway you COULD take a look at the specs? the manual is this link:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Owner's%20Manual/GTQ360%20om.pdf

(copy and paste full link cause the full link doesn't show up on here for some reason.)

if you look at page 9, my set up right now is Application 1, and i just need to know if theres anywhere i could plug ONE subwoofer into the amp as is. If not, please tell me what i should do, and if your up to it, sub suggestions are more than welcome!
thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10432
You need to use app 3 in that manual. Right now you have the amp driving 4 speakers. What you need to do is take the rear speakers off and run them off the HU. Keep the front speakers on the amp, and use the amp in 3 channel mode with the third channel driving the sub as that diagram shows.

Post Number: 6
HU? and could i not keep the back speakers in the amp and just unplug the front? because the back speakers sound perfect as is

Post Number: 7
Nevermind guys. Just bought a referbished Kicker CVT10 10'" sub that fits like a DREAM next to my amp. thanks for all the help tho.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10445
HU = headunit, the radio

If you're only going to amplify one set of speakers it should be the front.....

So how are you planning on powering that sub

Post Number: 8
Well ill probably wind up disconnecting the back speakers from the back, but i just cant see how it'll still sound fine. I was thinkin i could splice the back spekaer wire into the front speaker wire thats going into the amp. So both the front and back would go into the same port, leaving enough ports for the sub to plug into. but that seems to easy, plus it cant be good for the amp.
so ill probably wind up disconnecting the back speakers as you said.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10471
You cant wire them together that wont work.

If you want to still have rear speakers just wire them to the radio and power them with that instead of the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us