BASS MECHANICS BLEW MY AMP!!!11

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 1012
Well not literally, and it may not be blown, however it did shut off and/or die while I was playing bass mechanics.

I did not check it too thoroughly as I have to work early in the morning and would rather make a thread about it than work on it lol.

But, I do know that the fuse under the hood is not blown so I am getting a sneaking suspicion that I blew up the amp.

So basically this thread is for lulz, remedy suggestions, and new amp suggestions.

p.s. amp was a hifonics 1208D (which costed less than 1 of my subs so it could be worse). I have kinda wanted to replace it for a while anyway.

In other news I ordered 4" Aero ports( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-352 ) today and will probably be working on a new box soon... probably gunna have to get this amp situation resolved first .

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5044
So no power from the amp at all? All the wires are still supplying power?

Would be good to see some more info about all this ;)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1014
I really didnt get to checking much, but the amp will not power on. It could be something silly, but I wont know more until tomorrow when i get off work. From what I saw when I briefly checked it all wires still appeared to be connected.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1015
funny part of this story is it was on my way back home from helping a kid figure out what was wrong with his amp... he thought he blew it lol. I fixed it.

Irony ftl

Gold Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 1068
those amps can take a beating i think you just blow the fuses or your remote wire came off. but if it is fried you cn buy my 1606 it has a little cosmetic damage but works great

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1775
i have seen a lot of those amps and can't think of a time i have seen one blown. and the kids with them have the gain cranked and have no idea what they are doin. haha.

what subs do u have? i still have me AQ2200 for sale

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3309
i never had a problem with my hifonics bxi2005's. And I ran em on stock charging.. .They served their purpose.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11461
I wish you good luck with your amp problems. Keep us posted.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1016
Welp just got back from work at like 4:30, took a peak under the hood and checked the fuse again, because when I originally checked it was dark so it looked alright.

The fuse blew to hell and back lmao. The plastic fuse holder actually melted shut so When I replace the fuse and holder i will need to cut my power wire to get it off.

Now to get serious.

That fuse under the hood was a 100amp and the one on the amp is 80 amp (I did not do the wire install). The fuse under the hood should be no larger than the one on the amp correct?

Also did this fuse blow due to something I did wrong? I am guessing yes. I think it might be my power wire sucks... It is crappy 4 gauge that is probably more like 8.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3314
THE INLINE FUSE IS NOT TO PROTECT THE AMP, tHAT IS THE AMP FUSES JOB, The fuse amperage you use is determined by the size of wire being used.. The inline fuse in to protect your car and life in case of a short and to help prevent a fire..\
http://www.bcae1.com/

go to far right and scroll down to #14 Fuses. Read it all. Very informative and important. I would upgrade your wire if you have the funds.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1017
Thank you very much Mark and bcae1. Very useful info.

So am I correct in saying that using the largest possible wire before the inline fuse and then using wire that is matched to the fuse after the inline fuse is how it should be done?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us