New subs

Username: Dethscythe219

Post Number: 8
I am currently on the lookout for new subs to add to my setup, and I was sort of thinking about Fi. Not as expensive as a the JL audio w7 line, and I've heard it's comparable.

So I wanted to know 2 things -

What's the quality of these?
http://www.caraudiodeals.com/fusion-repk2120-p-1833.html

And what amp would I need to power 2 Fi Q 12's, dual 2ohm (1000wrms for each)

Also, is this a good ported box to put them in? (Quality/size wize?)
http://www.caraudiodeals.com/pyle-plbws212-p-372.html
(The box for those subs.. I already have them, so I thought I'd just take them out and put the FiQs in.)

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10424
you don't deserve to be touching equipment like Fi if you even have any thought that that might be a good box

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 291
^ or that those subs are a good deal.

FAIL

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15013
if u get 2 Fi Qs in the d2 version then a kicker zx2500 wud be nice match

most prefabs r not build strong so get a pro to do good box for u ...

Post Number: 9
Okay, really don't need the whole "you're too ignorant to be worthy" bullsh!t. I really could care less, I'm on this site because I don't know anything and I'm asking for help/advice on certain brands. If you have some stupid comment to say, keep it to yourself.

You said prefabs aren't generally a good idea but what about this?

http://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=334&catId=105

Besides there is NO ONE in muncie that "makes" boxes, they're all prefab. Doesn't mean they're of horrible quality. The box I have for my JL is "prefab" just because it was already built before I bought it, but it's one of the best quality boxes. I just don't like wood boxes (like my JL) I think they have no style. So that's why I'm looking at the fiberglass one.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2724
you can have someone custom build you a box and ship it. They don't have to be near you. Check into fishercustoms or lately people have been going to a company called AMI Creations.

Post Number: 10
Is the kicker amp as good as a hifonics one? I wanna do this system right. And if I'm paying 700 bucks for an amp I might as well get what I can get.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2725
for sure kicker is better than hifonics. But I wouldnt spend 700 on the kicker amp.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1647
whats your budget for the system?

im gonna go ahead and apologize for the others who arent quite as nice to new-comers asking questions..Welcome to Ecoustics! Snow is right on the money when you dont have a shop near you, Ami Creations or fischercustoms are GREAT box builders and will ship you a custom enclosure. im not positive but i believe they will fiberglass a box for you if thats what you really want.

You are lookin at the Fi Audio Q's, they are great sound quality subwoofers. a few questions that will help get you what you are lookin for faster:
1) whats your budget for everything? (box, subs, amp, wiring)
2) do you have any of the things mentioned in #1, if so, they what are they? (model numbers preferably)
3)what kind of sound are you looking for? (soundquality, SPL, or a mix of both)
4) are you going to also upgrade your door speakers?
5) Stock HU or aftermarket? if aftermarket, which one?
6) going with 2 Fi Qs requires ~2000rms, this will need electrical upgrades for your vehicle (ie. HO alt, Battery(s), Big3 upgrade)
7) what vehicle is this going in?

i think if you answer these questions, we will have more information on what you are ultimately lookin for in terms of sound

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1648
oops #6 isnt a question lol

and Double Post FTL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So I take it the prefab fiberglass box isn't a good option? Dang... I was totally willing to pay just 250 for a dual box. (You're sure it's not just as good as the box they'll make me for probably twice as much?) I'll answer the questions tho.

1 - I have no idea what the budget is.. Pretty much as cheap as possible for great quality. Isn't that everyone's budget?
2 - I have 1 10" JL Audio W3, 2 Pyle 12" subs (1000wrms combined) a Boss Audio D1200M Amp for the pyle's and an Alpine 500WRMS amp for the JL.
3 - I'm looking for great sound quality that hits hard.
4 - My door speakers and back speakers are already upgraded. I have JL Audio component and 6x9's. (Total it was I think 300 something)
5 - JVC HU, idk what exact model.
6 - I was going to buy a titanium battery and a capacitor. Idk what the Big3 is.. and I was considering a HO Alternator as well.
7 - 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Non-turbo (converted to turbo)

Also, you said you would not pay $700 for the kicker amp.. do you know a source I could get it for cheaper then?

Thank you for all your help.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2726
So the JL is the only decent part of what you have. I see some Kicker ZX2500's floating around on this site from time to time. go under classifieds on this site.

caraudio.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The JVC HU is KD-DV5400, btw.

And yes... The JL set up w/ alpine amp is what I originally bought, then I got the pyle for kicks.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 2884
1 - I have no idea what the budget is.. Pretty much as cheap as possible for great quality. Isn't that everyone's budget?
No Keep in mind you get what you pay for.

2 - I have 1 10" JL Audio W3, 2 Pyle 12" subs (1000wrms combined) a Boss Audio D1200M Amp for the pyle's and an Alpine 500WRMS amp for the JL.
Sell everything and use it for your next built

6 - I was going to buy a titanium battery and a capacitor.
Save your cash don't buy the cap.
Idk what the Big3 is.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1
. and I was considering a HO Alternator as well.
If you really want to run over 2000rms you will need a HO alt.

7 - 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse Non-turbo (converted to turbo)
You dont need much to get loud in that car.

Also, you said you would not pay $700 for the kicker amp.. do you know a source I could get it for cheaper then?
If you dont mind buying used try CA or ebay

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiou140ampal5.html

That a good alt.?

I was gonna give my JL and Alpine amp to my wife for her car (same car) and get rid of the Pyles.

As far as the Big3 upgrade.. Joy. Something else I'm gonna have to hire someone for. I don't trust myself with this kind of stuff, I'm not knowledgeable and I do not want to hurt my car.
Why not buy the cap? I thought they helped in taking the stress off the battery?

And ebay listed the amp for 700 bucks that's where I got that figure. New from amazon it's over 1k.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2727
look at the site i just showed you.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401446

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Yeah, went there. 425bucks+shp. I don't feel very comfortable buying used tho cuz there's no guarantee it works, and no warranty.

Is anyone gonna answer the fiberglass enclosure question? Was the one on my link really that bad? And how much would a fiberglass enclosure cost from fischers?

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2734
why would you want one that bad. I can pretty much gurantee a solid ported box from fisher or AMI will sound way better than that fiberglassed enclosure. I bet if you got a quote, it would be cheaper than that also. win-win situation man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
My car is a show car, and fiberglass looks better. Could I get the wooden box with fiberglass coating? Would that be as good as what you're wanting me to get yet still look as good as I want?

This is a joke, right?

http://www.audiodiscounters.com/shopping/KICKER-KICKER-ZX2500.1-7500w-2500-RMS-M ONO-CAR-AMP-08ZX25-p-7795.html

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2736
It's probably a mis-print on the site. If your car is a show car, why were you looking at those ugly pre-fabs. The boxes that are made by AMI or Fisher look really nice. You can talk to them also about maybe adding a plexi front or something. But I'd get off the fiberglass idea.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
As far as I know it's not a misprint, but I've read the reviews on the site -- it's either 5 star, amazing, or 1 star "AVOID THESE PEOPLE"

I'm guessing it's a scam?

I'll check out fisher. Thanks again for the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Also, on the same site, there's 2 different listings for the same amp. One is like 800 bucks it reads "Kicker 08ZX2500.1" and the 17 dollar one reads "Kicker ZX2500.1"

Just thought it was odd.. possibly a fake site linked to this one to get people to put money into someone else's account. Happens pretty frequently nowadays.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2737
dude, you really think you could get a ZX2500 for 17 bucks? It's obv. a scam, just stay away from it. This is fishercustoms site also if you didnt already find it.

http://fishercustoms.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Jordon32990

Post Number: 79
Looks like they misprinted the wieght and the price. I doubt that amp is over 1,000 lbs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Yeah.. I know it's a scam, which is why I said "it's a scam." And yes, I doubt it weighs that much as well. :-)

And no, I didn't "really think I could get ... for $17" which is why I posted it, to give you guys a laugh. Obviously that wasn't noted... But thanks for the site.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
So I decided I'm going with the Fi's and I'm having Fisher make me a custom enclosure for the entire back of my car. I think it'll be a good challenge for him, and I'm gonna get the kicker amp although I think it's overpowering it by a little bit. I'll post pics when it's done.

Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
One last question.. If I get a kinetic 1900Amp battery, do I still have to upgrade the alternator, or is that a dumb question cuz you're gonna say something like "in order to have a battery that big you need to at least upgrade the alternator as well" even if the best alternator I can get for my car is like 200amps?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3308
I would recommend a 200 amp alt for a kicker zx2500.. But you don't have to have one.. If you are going to try it w/o the alt. Make sure you are running at least 2 good dry cells. and watch your voltage when playing the system . If the voltage drops too much you will need more electrical upgrades or cut the amp gains back..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I'm gonna have to go w/ excessive amperage for the alt, no other companies make them for my car.

As for the battery I have 2 options: Odyssey or Kinetic. Both priced about the same.

Kinetik HC1800 - 1900amps, $209
Odyssey 35-PC1400 - 1400 amps, $222

And is a 200amp alt gonna be powerful enough for a 2000wrms system?

Silver Member
Username: Mpinto19k

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 176
Yeah that alt will be fine for 2000wrms

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15021
i like power master XS batts ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums