What capacitor should I use?

Username: Dethscythe219

Post Number: 7
I have a complete JL Audio component/6x9/woofer system with 500watt rms Alpine amp. The woofer is JL audio 10" w3. I also have Pyle PLBWS212 (dual 12s, 1000watt peak power, 500watt rms for each) with a Boss Audio D1200M Amp.

I was wondering what capacitor would be good for this setup? I know nothing about them and idk if you can even buy a "cheap" capacitor.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18048

that's something I was looking at, but I'm sure someone's gonna say "that's a cheap brand do buy it it'll fall apart" so I want some advice on this topic please.

Thanks

Username: Dhump

Post Number: 1
i have a similar question. i'm not that experience with amps/subs/caps. i currently have:

1 1000w JL audio amp
1 alpine type x 1000w RMS (3000w PEAK)
in my little 99 nissan altima

lights are dimming everywhere and i know enough to know that the sub is not being used to its potential because the car cannot handle that sub.

should i get a cap? if so, how many farads? any other suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Dethscythe219

Post Number: 20
Don't get a cap. As far as I've read they're useless. It won't help if your lights are dimming.

They'll tell you to upgrade your battery, alternator, and big3.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

close this topic.

Bronze Member
Username: Dangeranger

Ohio United States

Post Number: 56
x2. caps are a waste of money

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6951
Caps are NOT a waste of money. You can say the same thing about everything. They were designed for certain application, and function very well.
If you need more power, then upgrade your alternator to HO. Upgrade the big 3 stock wires. If that's not possible, you can always add another battery in parallel with isolator.
The rule with cap is, 1F for every 1000w of peak power.

Username: Hellbilly396

Post Number: 6
ive been researching electronics lately to try to understand better the workings of DC power and its components. From what ive have gathered a capacitor stores electricity similar to a battery. It differs from a battery in that it can release it energy very quickly and charge very quickly. You must pay the piper in electronics though, if a component is more efficient in one area it will be less in another. Capacitors must get charge from somewhere, your alternator. If the alternator already lacks the power to supply the demand, how can adding another demand to it help? You need to supply adequate power first, then you can clean it and smooth it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us