Inverted subs

Bronze Member
Username: Addictedtoaudio

Post Number: 14
does inverting the subs make it any louder?

just curious...

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5142
There will be a very slight increase in bass extension because of the .15 - .2 cu. ft. lack of displacement when the woofer is mounted outside the box (inverted).

Other than that there is no difference.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10420
And if the box is built to compensate for the change in displacement it will sound exactly the same.

Only possible difference is you could hear some motor noise on some subs.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 290
motor noise x2

i think it may be a little louder if its on a ported box, depending on the sub. some subs get louder on different frequencies, so if you invert it you'll change the volume of the box, hence changing the box's tuning.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15012
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/inverted.html

:

Inverting subwoofers. Does it make a difference?

Inverting a speaker is the term used when a subwoofer is mounted "backwards" so the magnet structure is exposed outside of the enclosure to show off the size of the magnet, or the chromed basket and so forth.
Mounting a speaker this way has absolutely NO effect on the output of the system. Doing this does not make the sub any louder or quieter. Inverting a sub does however change the volume of the box, since you're moving the mass of the driver's motor structure outside of the enclosure, effectively increasing the net air space inside the enclosure.
This can alter the response of the box, or change the tuned frequency of any ports.

So, to answer this commonly asked question, no inverting a speaker doesn't effect the output in any significant way. It's mainly done for looks and bling factor.

end of thread \ ......

Silver Member

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 292
^^ good job reiterating what i said.

+ fancy words.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdwpgtp

Cleveland, Ohio

Post Number: 30
cant go wrong with fancy words =p

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20485
Sh1t I did it. Blew my plexi to bits.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5145
This is one of the reasons I don't post here very much anymore. What was the point behind every post after MS's?

MisterLDR... you must have a whopping 1-2 years experience at this stuff. School me Oh Wise One. And then Rovin puts /end of thread after posting Glass's info saying pretty much what I said... WTF

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2944
^^^
x2 Brad

Silver Member

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 294
Brad,

no need to be a dick. I never said I had any more experience than anyone on here. and i probably don't. I juist felt that Rovin's post was exactly the same as mine. If you don't like posting on here then stop coming. no one is making you stay. I'm sure we could use your useful input on many subjects.

and i am in no way being sarcasmic...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us