Help with hifonics brutus 1210D

Username: Tsgtwheeler

Post Number: 4
to start things off. I bought 2 12" kickers and a prefab enclosure to go under my seat of my 2006 chevy crew cab pickup and a american pro 2000watt amp for 200.00 not bad. only one channel on the amp worked so I had to wire them in series for a 4 ohm load. just tonight I bought a hifonics brutus 1210D. pulled the subs out and wired them in parrallel for a 1 ohm load. this inclosure is a sealed single chamber with polly fill. my problem is that it seems that the american pro amp seems to hit harder than the hifonics amp. the american pro is rated at 300 watts rms at 4 ohm and the hifonics amp rated at 1200 watts at 1 ohm rms is probably between 700 and 800 rms about 80% of overrated specs. could there be something wrong with this amp or setup wrong and setting help would be great. ie subsonic, bass eq, low pass.
setting right now
subsonic set to 15hz
bass eq set to 0
low pass at 12 oclock position
phase set to 0
level gain set to around 12 oclock
have the boos control pluged in and set to max seems no difference in pluged in or not should i even plug this thing in.any help would be great It seems these two subs should shake this truck apart even in a sealed enclosure.

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 187
Start with the subsonic all the way down since it is sealed, Low pas around 80hz. No bass boost at all and dont use the bass boost knob(it is not a gain knob). As for the gain, the 1210 series has been said to do rated power, so you should be seeing atleast 1000-1200w. Set the gain with a DMM, and tune it by ear if you hear distortion/clipping.

Post Number: 5
I do not have a dmm what is that and cost.

ok. I have changed the + and - around seemed worse. ok I turned up the gain a little more and seem to have it wright hitts pretty good. I have the passenger side does not hit or move as far or as fast as the driverside. I switched the subs and same result. tried the phase on the amp and nothing. I pulled out all polly fill and same result. it does seem that the enclosure on the passenger side is smaller than the dirverside. but total enclosure is one single chanber. I called the person whom I bought this setup from and was told that he bought it at our local kicker dealer this is the sub enclosure they sell for these subs, for our 2006 chevy crew cab under the seat subs firing into the seat. I switched the audio cables around and installed new ones with no change anyhelp would be great really need to get this thing tuned asap.

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 188
If they are not moving the same amount, it sounds like one is blown or out of phase. Are you sure you have it hooked up like this?(the first picture)
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42
A Digital Multi Meter is a meter for electronics, it measures resistance, voltage and amperage. They can be found for $10-$25 at stores like home depot and walmart.

You said the passenger side did not have as much excursion as the driver side right. When you switched them did the woofer that was on the passenger side have more excursion, and vice versa?

Post Number: 6
yes the passenger side does not have the same excursion even when i switch subs just seems that side does not have the excursion it should no matter what sub i put in there it is not the subs.

how do i set the gain with the dimm

Post Number: 7
ok it only seems that this happens on certian cd, like bass mechanic snd my food for your woofers. could this be that at certian hz that the enclosure on the passenger side cannot hit these notes. i recently filled the enclosure throuout with polly fill to see if this would help and nothing. hits a lot harder now that i wirred both subs together in parrallel and only have one set of wires going to the amp in mono. unlike eariler i had both subs eired at 2 ohm then going to the amp in parallel using all 4 terminals. I switched subs again and the same thing. it has to do with somithing on the amp hz wise or the enclosure. I can see that the driverside is larger than the passenger side but do dividing wall both subs use the same air space but on the passenger side the enclosure narrows down to about 3 inches. will this have any effect on the one sub
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us