Grounding amp to battery

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 184
I have 2 amplifiers, an orion cobalt co600.2 for my full range speakers, and a hifonics bxi1206d for my subwoofers. Since i am ordering 0awg wire for these i will have enough 4awg to run a direct ground to the battery negative. Is it ok to ground just one amp at the battery, and the other one in the trunk?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1764
not a problem. Shouldn't be a significant advantage one way or the other.

There are those who will lose their mind over a ground wire longer than 24"-36", but I have no idea why. The chassis has resistance too.

But how are you using the 0 ga? Is there a fused d-block with 4 ga into the amps?

Silver Member

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 185
I got 0 to a fused distro, which splits to 4 and 8 for each amp(thats what they take). And all grounds end up at the battery right? Ive never ran a ground, not attatched to the battery, over 2' before though.

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 195
i've not heard of people running the ground from the boot all the way to the front because the ground wire is meant to be as short as possible right?? thats why its usually attached to the car chasis, well thats my understanding anyway.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10412
The best possible ground for a high current device like an amplifier is a ground wire to the battery.

What you just described is the way my system is set up, it will work fine. My sub amp is grounded with a wire to the battery as it draws so much current. Speaker amp is grounded on the frame.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5047
"There are those who will lose their mind over a ground wire longer than 24"-36", but I have no idea why."

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of cutting costs on wiring. Not to mention the extra hassle to run a wire all the way through the firewall and to the battery terminal.

But yeah, good thread here.

Silver Member

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 189
I have extra 4 awg since i just installed my 0 awg, so i would just have to recrimp it and re run it. Im going to try the trunk because there is no way i can fit it under the carper with the 0 and have the trim still fit. If it does not work with both amps then i will run a dedicated ground to the battery for the one.

Username: Bassahaulic

Central, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
The BEST thing you can do it run another 1/0 wire from the battery, then use a D-Block on it, and go out to the individual amps to use as your ground/negative wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us