Clipping?

Bronze Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 28
im a noob to the sub game. someone said an amp was clipping. im jus wonderin what is that? explain in terms a noobie can understand

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5130
Hard to explain easily but...

It is called clipping because when an amplifier is sent a signal with more voltage or current than it's power supply can produce, it "clips" the top of the sine wave off, which then becomes square wave distortion. Basically speaking -- clipping occurs anytime an amplifier is sent a signal it cannot supply enough current to reproduce.

Note the clean peaks in the first pic below and then the same waveform, but clipped, in the last pic. An example of the sound of this type of distortion (although obviously at a much higher level) would be when a rock guitarist intentionally clips his amps output by overdriving the pre-amp, and sending either a vacuum tube or transistor more voltage then it can cleanly reproduce. Another example of clipping is when you turn a clock radio higher than its amp (and/or speakers) can handle.

Loudspeaker clipping is kind of similar. When a driver is sent more current then its voice coil can handle, any energy that is not converted into sound is absorbed as direct current into the voice coil, which produces immense heat. This is how most voice coils are fried.

Upload
Upload

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20416
In a nutshell set your gain right and turn dat sh1t down.

Bronze Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 30
thanks for the info its not my amp tho. its my buddies. he blew a L7(750 rms) with a legacy predator amp (600rms)..and someone told me he blew it cuz his amp was clippin.....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20418
Clipping can occur at any wattage.

When you AMPLIFY it is when it becomes a problem to the amp and driver. Take into consideration the build quality of both components and you have your fail rate and how long it occurs.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4797
yep

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7435
I this is what I tell my customers that blow up amps/speaker:

Me: You were clipping the amp.

Tard: ???

Me: Think of it like dropping your car in 1st gear and running it 60mph down the highway. It will do it for a little bit, but something is going to die in VERY little time.

Tard: oh

Me: Yea and thats NOT covered by your warranty.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20419
^^^Lol.

"When you AMPLIFY it is when it becomes a problem to the amp and driver. Take into consideration the build quality of both components and you have your fail rate and how long **before** it occurs."

Ninja edit skills FTL.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1696
canaan that is harsh!
what does ur warranty cover

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10386
most warranties cover manufacturers defects. damage from user error is almost never covered.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20426
^^^In any industry.

In fact, I can't recall ANY warranty covering user error.

That's straight up dumb.

Especially in this industry lol.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7436
Let me edit what I said earlier...

I first look at the gains and bass boost. 9 out of 10 times when something comes back fried, they are pegged to the max. Or, the person thinks they are slick and turns every control on the amp all the way down (crossover and all).

You have to see how the people are running the equipment. For instance, had a guy show up w/ a for vehicle and they had the wrong harness on their HU. It would play, but they had a factory amp and needed the RCA style harness not the line-level one that the other local shop install (morons). He could turn the volume on his HU up to ~20% before every speaker in the car sounded like it was about to explode...factory amp was getting too high of a signal.

I installed his amp (gains and BB down) and 2 DD512's, told him to take the car back to the other shop for warranty on the BS install they did (he didn't want to pay me to fix it). Same guy comes back a week later w/ a blown DD512 and wants it warrantied. I look at the car, he didn't get the HU install fixed and had turned the gain/BB all the way up...and the SSF all the way down for some dam reason.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3212
Dem Lowsyana boyz knows how to gets loud!!! lol

Most will do the same mistakes over and over even if they are told how to fix... It's a same really.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 4117
they should make cheap osciliscopes for noobs that cant use a DMM
hahah

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2929

quote:

they should make cheap osciliscopes for noobs that cant use a DMM

Sometimes you can find a good deal on an oscilloscope.

But for those who don't have one, your ear is the key :-)

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 1008

quote:

But for those who don't have one, your ear is the key :-)

That and your nose lol.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2930
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us