Open door, HU cuts out!?!

JeffS
Unregistered guest
My wife owns a '98 Civic with a Sony CDX-L600X (I know, I know no flames plz) factory door & rear speakers, a Pioneer 200w amp and a matched 10" sub (fused 8g to battery). I had to patch the factory HU into the Sony power supply to keep keyless entry. Wonderful Honda engineering. The keyless entry receiver's in the HU. Sony HU about a year old, amp & sub about 8-10 months. No problems until a week or so back. On occasion, the sound will cut out, but the display still functions. Opening the driver door will bring the sound back. Closing the door will "mute" it again. I have checked for pinched wires, HU connections, fuses, speaker connections, can anyone think of something I've missed? I need to solve this mystery before I go nuts and replace the whole system for her. Any help appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 210
On the passage from inside the car to the doors, make sure the wires aren't touching the metal in all possible door positions

JeffS
Unregistered guest
I've done a visual check, and run my fingers across any and all wire looms I can reach in there with no luck. Do you know any tricks to isolate a spreaker ground if that is the problem? I'm thinking you might be on to something though, the door stop assembly was damaged before we bought the car, and has since pulled through the mounting area. Hmmm,...do I have any other option that pulling this whole door apart?

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 219
Disconnect (always work on the system with power off) the speakers's wires from the amp and measure any single wire for ground short circuits. While you do this, ask someone to keep opening and closing the door. You might get to a wire (or more) that touches ground with the door mouvement. If there's no ground shorts, check for resistance variations using the same method (each speaker should give you a constant reading of 4 ohms, plus or minus 0.5 ohm). If this is the case, you'll have to remake all connections.

JeffS
Unregistered guest
Joao,
Exactly the problem. After pulling the HU, checking all wires for resistance, I popped the door panel off and there it was. THe stock speaker harness had become pinched in the door assembly. Pulled it out, reconnected, and no problems. I wish I had done that first. I've practically had the whole dash apart, and re-wrired most of this system. Oh, well. Live and learn. Thanks for the help.
Jeff
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us