Quick wattage help.

Username: Sammh717

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. I have an amp pushing prolly 65 RMS to 4 door speakers at the moment and im looking to add a sub into the picture.

Im looking to get one 12" CVR, 400 RMS, 800 peak. I am not looking for a crapload of bass, so one will do just fine. If I get a kicker amp pushing 400 RMS, my question is, am i going to be able to power all of that with my stock alternator? Im not really looking into getting a new alternator... I drive a 97 corolla (gotta love it!) and i think it has either a 70 or 80 amp alternator.

So if i have the 400 rms for the sub and the 65 rms x 4, do you think i will be fine? I dont see myself pushing to full power at all ever, because i like my hearing. Will getting a cap help? Thanks for the help!

Username: Neutman21

College Station, Texas US

Post Number: 3
you shouldnt need a cap or new alternator...I have 2 JL amps in my ranger and another alpine all running off the stock alternator, but I have an optima yellow top...I don't see you needing to upgrade unless you are pushing a bigger system...what I would do is get the other amp installed and turn your vehicle on and let it idle while your music is cranked. Take a mulitmeter and test your battery to see if it is dropping below 12 volts. If it stays consistent you should be ok...

Post Number: 2
Ah,okay. Im sure your alternator is bigger than a small Corolla's though. I guess we'll see. I'm gonna look into that battery, maybe get me one. Did you do the "Big 3" upgrade?

Username: Neutman21

College Station, Texas US

Post Number: 4
ya, that battery is amazing....and no, i didn't have to since I wasn't losing any volts... i may do the big 3 in the future, but don't have the money and time right now, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and do it...it would free up some strain on your electrical system and its pretty cheap to do...I would try that before getting the battery since it would be a lot cheaper to do...

Post Number: 3
So i dont need to do the upgrade if im not losing any volts... how would I go about checking that?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10375
noobs helping noobs gotta love it. only here.

1) optima battiers are not that good, there is much better.

2) your stock electrical will more than likely be ok.

Post Number: 4
thanks for the input man. I appreciate it. I'm just gonna go for it then and see how it works.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 282
"optima batteries are not that good, there is much better"

List em

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 141
You should be fine,I would atleast upgrade stock alternator wiring.

Forget about a capacitor.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1771
If you're the type of person that listens at a moderate volume most of the time to something other than bass heavy music that size system should work with no problems at all.

I ran 1100w in an '88 Tbird with a 75A alt, and I DID blast it fairly regularly and I DO listen to bass heavy stuff once in a while. It wasn't ideal, but it ran for 2 yrs before the alt finally gave up. It was the original alt and had 226k on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us