What is your opinion????

Silver Member
Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 188
Hello,

I am looking into building a box consisting of 3 subwoofers. I will be using it for a daily driver and i am interested in SQL. More on the SQ side but still want to be able to blow people away(not trying to compete and pull 155's but that is always nice :-)

I am willing to spend $500-$600 per speaker, and what size of speaker should i use? well i want to hear your opinion on what size and type of subwoofer you think i should go with whether it be 3 12" or 3 18" or anything in between. This installation will be in a blazer.

brands i have been looking at are:
JL audio
RE audio
RD
Fi

I understand the electrical upgrades that this set up will take and i am happily willing to undergo those upgrades. Now what upgrades will i need? depends on the set up of your opinion.

Thank you very much!!

Silver Member
Username: Teamdeboy1971

OPTIDRIVE LN. La F..., TN Major Bass P...

Post Number: 609
I think 3 15" Fi Q's would really get loud and have great Sound Quality too! What are you putting this system in and do you allready have anything to start with??

Silver Member
Username: Teamdeboy1971

OPTIDRIVE LN. La F..., TN Major Bass P...

Post Number: 610
If you are going to outfit a Blazer I would start with trying to get a Really good HIgh amperage alternator and a good Yellow top under the hood! Then you will need 3 1k amps or depending on the sub you go with, you may get away with less. I think the RE SX would be a good sub also, I don't think I would go with Kicker or Mtx, these guys on here can really get you on the right track! There are some GREAT people with the knowledge to put anything you want together!

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 532
x2 on the alt.. any ways RD is havin a BIG sale on there RD Alpha's that will pull off great SQL and pulse there under what your willing to spend
15 $329
18 $339
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/562751.html

save money for a great amp and alt. how much you wanting to spend on an amp? one D9 will power those and then some

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
I am putting it into a blazer and i am starting from scratch. The blazer is totally stock and i would love to upgrade and make this thing a beauty with sound. I will be putting in a 220 amp atl...biggest i could find to fit on an early GM engine and yes a high performance battery under the hood would be most definite!

Thank you for your opinions!! I will definitely look into those and cant wait to hear what others have to say about their opinions =]

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
Witch alphas? the V.1 or V.2?

thank you for the heads up on the sale btw!

I was thinking about putting $1600 to an amp possibly rated at 1 ohm

Silver Member

Post Number: 533
" and what size of speaker should i use " thats up to your opinion what would you like. IMO you will not lose any SQ with Alpha Size but more cone area for the bigger sizes witch would mean more SPL.

cube's per 15" would be 3-3.5 Cubes. if i can recall 18's need 6 cubes per sub, so bigger box. same goes with 12's would be a much smaller enclosure to them all ^^. its to what ever feel like. IMO 18's really kill the low and get air moving and sound really great!!!! but would you have the room for that type of an enclosure?

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
they are the V2. and thats about right for the D9 if i can remeber. its been some time since i look at the cost on it.

i had 2 15" Alpha's and pulled a 149.0 on music on the TL @ WF so your gettin what you want from these ...

i'm sure Kevin will come in here and give you his email if you need any more en depth help or ??s

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Ahh i see what you are saying, makes sense more cone = more SPL.

Um i am not sure if there is room for a 18 cuft box. If there is, it is pushing close to maxing out all of the area back there haha i want to guess there is closer to more 12 to 15 cuft realistically but i cant be for sure so dont take my word on that.

Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
BTW what would this be going in? suv? lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
Sweet thank you Quentin.

Also if i may ask you Quentin what do you think about 3 15" alpha v2's compared to 3 JL 13.5 w7 in SQL? (not comparing price!!)

Thank you!

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
In a blazer hahaha I think i need to bold that part =]

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
oops i found Kevin's Email se_rdaudio@yahoo.com

if you want more info right from RD
http://www.rdaudio.net/alpha/alpha.htm

here some of my vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dVYU7Ar9MQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4wO2a8C5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVWyY3r_zI

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 106
Also check these out.

www.audioque.com/
www.jbl.com/
www.ascendantaudio.com/
www.incriminatoraudio.com/
www.t3audio.com/
www.dcsoundlab.com/
www.atomicspeakers.com/
www.ddaudio.com/
www.soundsplinter.com/
www.mmatsproaudio.com/
www.elevationaudio.com/
www.crossfirecaraudio.com/
www.crossfirecaraudio.com/
www.imagedynamicsusa.com/
www.treoonline.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Thank you unknown i will definitely check out those sites as well!

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
"Also if i may ask you Quentin what do you think about 3 15" alpha v2's compared to 3 JL 13.5 w7 in SQL? (not comparing price!!) "

IMO it is just JL has a big name and everyone out there don't really in dept and look whats really out it just not "JL, Kicker, sony, rockford, Alpine" out there as if you walk in to a best buy and see. you can walk back there and ask them about LOTS of other sub brands that they never hear about. and mostly is becuz its the NAME out there every one hears about.

the alphas by far have better SQ, and hands down more spl than they could ever dream about.....

and its all about the right enclosure and install to get the most out of your setup

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
"In a blazer hahaha I think i need to bold that part =] " haha oh yeah you should have room for 3 18's just how much space you willing to give up.

i got a buddy doing 4 18's in a 2dr s10 blazer and all i can say is how its a nice clean setup and sounds so clean.

and thanks for halping with a list UNKNOWN

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Ah i see yeah that does seem to be true, i had never heard of RD before i came here. So why does JL have such a well known product verses RD or other names mentioned here that i have only heard here? Is it because they do have a better product so word flies? or are these names on the rise?

Have you heard the 13w7 in person? Just wondering =]

yeah it is all about the install and enclosure. may i ask what your dimensions are for 2 v2's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Thats the key part "how much space you willing to give up."

I kinda want to have some kind of a trunk and a nice set up so having best of both worlds may mean a small sub? i dont know. and who knows maybe in a few months i might change my mind on how i want to set up the box size according to the space available.

Silver Member

Post Number: 540
lots of CO. come and go. its JL has lasted longer and held in strong and lot of it is ecam/money. like i hear kicker is losing money maybe filing "chapter 11" i heard but idk if its really true cuz they just lost circuit city as a big dealer. but thats about how i flowed it as JL has great dealers that just want to hipe about JL.

I my self have have never gone in dept with a W7 cuz there aint really many ppl will to pay 1k for a sub here... i really never heard anything bad about them.

"may i ask what your dimensions are for 2 v2's?"

what size?? if 15's like mine i did 7.5cubes @ 34Hz

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3115
wait a min... He isn't allowed to do 3-18" Alpha's V.2.
It is being done. lol j/k.. How much power are you wanting to run? The V.2 in very musical in the right enclosure. I hittin'150+ on 2 18's in a musical box. using an rd5750. I am adding another 18 and walling it it when the sub gets back to me. I will run the at ~.33 ohm for comps and 1.34 ohm daily. Although they are musical and are a sql sub, they are aa tad on the SPL side of the spectrum . Let me know if you have any questions. Later

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1482
dont forget to throw in sundown, the new Z 15's seems to fit your idea's of the setup that you would like.

http://sundownaudio.com/z15.html

very promising sub SQL wise, two of these 15's pulled a 153.x... and sounds AMAZING at it.

are you interested in these? lmk as i can get you set up!

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
thanks mark lol i still want to hear your setup

well 2 18's you all ready givin up alot of room for others to fit in there other then driver and pass.
2/3 15's you wont have to lay seats down and should have room for ppl.
12's well you can fit all 3 and have room for other ppl and maybe some bags, tools or something

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
here is some more help on the W7 if needed
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/566256.html

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1485
please stay away from JL specially the w7's...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3117
If you want to go big and still get by with a relatively small enclosure, look into the AudioPulse Axis. They take Big power and small boxes.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1486
^ very true

also sundown's 15's like 3ish cubes ported :-)

and there 18's like 4ish cubes ported

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
I know a dude that has 4 RE SE 12"(8cf.net at 34Hz)on a Rockford T30001BD in the back of a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer and it sound SWEET.

You can get 4 RE SE 12" for $600 and pick your posion for power.

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/
RE SE 10" $129.95 each
RE SE 12" $149.95 each
RE SE 15" $159.95 each

And remember you need power to make power,so start from the ground up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
Well Quentin if i go with 3 15" v2's then i was looking at ~11 cuft not sure at what Hz to tune it too if going for SQL. one possible way i could do that is 40" wide 24" high and 24" deep but there are many ways of coming up with 11 cuft haha

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Those Z 15's kind of peaked my interest D-money, Thank you for your opinion on a good subwoofer!! =]

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
hahaha dont worry Mark Brockman i wont be doing 3 18" v2's. Although ~5.5 cubes per sub(if i did my math right) for 18" v2's is not bad at all! most 15" subs are about that(again if i'm doing my math right :-)

Hey Mark Brockman i was wondering how do you control what ohms you run the speakers at? sounds really cool.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
So are you saying UNKNOWN that any speaker will sound great if you get the right set up (box and power to the speakers)??

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
Ok i have a few questions

Why does RD use paper cones if many of the other companies are using Kevlar cones?

and if the alpha's are on sale does that mean they're making room for bigger better subwoofers that i may be interested in, in the near future??

Thank you!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Thank you guys for your opinions!

Based on what you guys have said i think i'll go with 3 15" subs in a ported box anywhere from 12-15 cuft...I think that'll be somewhat of a space saver for me yet still be plenty of room for the bad boys to pound. and tuned to....well i'm not sure what to tune it to yet? hahaha

I'm looking at all you guys have mentioned the Fi Q's the RD v2's and those Z 15's peaked my curiosity!!

Mainly idc how much power is pushing the subs i would just like great SQL because i love music and to hear everything from the triangle all the way down to the deep base line of an electric guitar in a symphony yet still be able to crank it up and blow people away in the blazer!

I liked the numbers you provided me with Mark Brockman and knowing that was a musical box was even better...do you think 3 15" v2's can come close to your 2 18" v2's in SPL?? yet still have great SQ and hit all the notes with clarity?

Thank you guys!!!

Gold Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 1160
if you want great SQ you better drop some money on your frontstage aswell...

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
Oh yeah i am prepared for that goodie. here are a few speakers i was looking at for mids/highs

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5712/XS65--Image-Dynamics-65"-2-Way-Component-System.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5714/XS69--Image-Dynamics-6x9"-2-Way-Component-System.htm

sorry i made to where you had to cut and paste!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3121
3-15's will be louder than my 2-18's with the correct power. As fas as Sub SQ, well that depends on the box. I have never heard the z15's , but I would take the Alphas over the Q's for sure, if you can power them properly. If all is done correctly, you should be able to get ~154+ fairly easily.

As for your question about controlling ohms... The ohm load if determined by the way that your wire your voice coils.,

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
"Well Quentin if i go with 3 15" v2's then i was looking at ~11 cuft not sure at what Hz to tune it too if going for SQL."

I would look more about 9 - 10.5 cubes, and tuning around 35 - 36Hz..

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1490
what about some CDT's :-)

something like ES-062I

heres a review i found on them

http://caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=313776

here is where you could buy them from, mike the owner is a great guy and will definitly take care of you

http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=146&idaffiliate=2

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Wow i wasnt even expecting to get in the 150's haha but good to know!!!

Will you enlighten me Mark Brockman (or anyone who feels up to the challenge) with how you would approach this situation if 3 15" v2's were put in a box...how big would you make it, what kind of porting would you use(slot vs tube and the sizes of either) what frequency would you tune the box at.

Being still new to builing boxes i like to stick to MDF instead of fiberglass. I am great with wood working so pretty much any dimension is not a problem with wood if i know the approx inner volume of the box(with or without displacement of the speakers) i can make up any dimensions to fit my desires.

If you have a neat way of setting up the subs and or box let me know your idea!! You can post a design you made in clip art if you want(i'm more visual is why i say that)

Thank you!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
Yeah i agree Quentin, i just said ~11 cuft to take in any displacement that may occur with bracing or speaker displacement =]

and thank you for tuning frequencies!! very good to know!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
"Why does RD use paper cones if many of the other companies are using Kevlar cones?"

that i would not know, never ask lol

"and if the alpha's are on sale does that mean they're making room for bigger better subwoofers that i may be interested in, in the near future?? "

the Alpha V2 are stayin they are just addin the new ALPHA MAX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNHMXW8Wc3E&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1b6wI5sls&feature=channel_page

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Hahaha D-money you read my mind i was just going to post CDT =] great minds think alike!
here are a few i was looking at putting in maybe even along with the image dynamics? i dont know yet.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1109/ES620--CDT-Audio-EuroSport-65"-2Way-Component-Speakers.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1094/CL641--CDT-Audio-Classic-4"-65"-3Way-Component-Speakers.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Oh ok!

so what is the difference between the V.2 and the Max??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3122

quote:

so what is the difference between the V.2 and the Max??

about $300.. LMAO

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
"Why does RD use paper cones if many of the other companies are using Kevlar cones?"

that i would not know, never ask lol

"and if the alpha's are on sale does that mean they're making room for bigger better subwoofers that i may be interested in, in the near future?? "

the Alpha V2 are stayin they are just addin the new ALPHA MAX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNHMXW8Wc3E&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1b6wI5sls&feature=channel_page

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
"So are you saying UNKNOWN that any speaker will sound great if you get the right set up (box and power to the speakers)"

No,it will sound as good as it can if you build to spec and power it rite with propur install.

But there is a lot of crap out there,so stay along the lines of the above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
HAHAHA now that's funny Mark Brockman so the alpha max uses the same cone as the V.2 except the max can take more watts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Yeah i have no idea about the cone situation. hmmm...anyone else have an answer to why RD still uses paper cones? Isn't there better technology out now than the paper cone? or no i hear a lot of stuff and take it all with a grain of salt so i just wanted to know your guy's thoughts on that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
True that UNKNOWN! I feel you 100% i do like the guidelines given above! Problem is if and when i decide to get the alpha's there aren't any RD dealers near by...i think i have to travel like 4-5 hours just to get to one hahaha man that sucks! Thank you all for your opinions and thoughts on a triple subwoofer set up for SQL =] and dont worry Mark Brockman i'm not looking anytime soon to match your 3 18's. I do some day would like to get a 1970 SS chevelle station wagon and take out the 3rd row and customize it out to the max! then i'll probably go with 3 18's

Gold Member

Post Number: 3128
lol wouldn't hurt my feelings... You would not be disappointed if you did.

As for the paper cones question,

"Paper cone that is heavily damped with long strand Kevlar fibers"

Not all companies use the same cone materials... Why not the aluminum cones, they are shiny. lol... They use what suits their products.

And There are plenty of differences in the Max.. including baskets depending on options you go with. Why would making a Alpha Max line of subs devalue the Alphas V.2.. They put em on sale... Not discontinued. It is called marketing. And there will ALWAYS be bigger and better things with a solid company. Steve was tellin' me some figures on his R+D spending.. WOW.. Lets just say, he is dedicated to getting a solid and dependable product at a good price...

okay... I re-read that, and it sounds like an advertisement. lol

I cant wait for some results of the 15" Sub-woofer comparison

Gold Member

Post Number: 3130
Why would you 4-5hrs to get RD products? My Subs/amp were delivered to my front door.

Silver Member

Post Number: 547
yeah RD ships too

Bronze Member
Username: Kickittothacurb

U.S.

Post Number: 73
Put 3 12" or 15" RE SE's with a couple Fosgate amps
:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Well i wont be doing anything bigger than 15's until i'm ready to go all out to the max with building the sub box and everything else so i wont be going with 3 18's Mark Brockman =] but i like that you are a team player...probably cause you know yours would still be better than mine hahaha

oh ok just wondering why some companies used different type of cone material and if there was "better" than others.

Yeah i know RD ships i'm just the kind of guy that likes to see the product in person 1st 9 times out of 10 and looks like this may be one of those times where i dont, and i like to hear the product too if i can but it sucks here because speakers aren't as big so many local stereo shops dont have many subs that they are selling displayed in a box so you can her them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Thank you Andrew for your opinion!! Much appreciated!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
were you out off so we can find someone close

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Www.rdaudio.net, GA USA

Post Number: 2559
Hunter,

Our Alpha MAX is another upgrade we needed in our line. It offers great output but a flat response as well. The price is right with this woofer too. The Alpha MAX has a 65 mm flat wind 8 layer aluminum coil. We also use the same grade magnet as the HW which is a Y35. Anything stronger and you have to use a neo. The cone is paper with 30% kevlar.

We have a few Alphas left at the sale price right :-)

3 Alpha's on a RD D9 would be very nice. Feel free to email me if you have anymore questions I will be around :-)

Kevin
se_rdaudio@yahoo.com

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1508
hey i didnt get back to you sooner hunter, i hope you still havent ordered your comp sets have you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
hey here is a 3 15" Alpha setup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrUJpDgYctM&feature=channel_page

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 4068
6 of these .... http://hsuresearch.com/products/asw-1203.html

with 3 of these .... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12331_Focal+FP+1.800.html

in 6 cubes sealed

keeps you under 900 on subs and under 1500 on amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
No i have not ordered the comps yet still doing research and thinking heard and learning a lot from you guys!!

Thank you sooo much!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
I live in the central valley in Cali about 45 mins away from Fresno

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
So i take it the Alpha Max's are more SPL than SQL. Very nice specs sounds intimidating! I am kinda stuck between the Alpha V.2 and the Audiopulse Axis's, It would be a little be less to go with the Alpha's and I hear a lot of good things about them here so i'm not sure.

Thank you JK for those links and your opinion!!

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1510
Do you have aim or something we can communicate a little bit faster?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1511
so we can talk about some CDT comps and Audiopulse's :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
No unfortunately i don't have aim any more. :-/
but i am very interested in both CDT comps and Audiopulse Axis(or Alpha V.2). I am not ready to make any moves at this moment i am just trying to get all the slabs laid down for a nice foundation of research, i also have another agenda, i'm about 80% done on the sound system in the chevelle, so when that is done i will look into the blazer sound system a little harder. I know its taking forever to finish the sound system in the chevelle but it is time consuming to balance school, work, and the chevelle but as soon as i'm done i'll definitely put up a nice long post of all that i have done to it then i'll look into the blazer and getting aim to talk with you D-money =]

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1516
lol, hey its better to take your time and do it right the first time :-)

well if you want you can send me a email at basebalz13 (at) cs (dot) com and i will help you with any questions you have pertaining to your chevelle setup, or your future blazer setup

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
You are the Best D-money! Yes it is better to take the time and do it right the first time i have learned that over the years, and to not get cheap Sh!t and half @ss it either.
I'll definitely hit you up on the blazer's system and for the chevelle it's pretty much laid out just have to get a few items and the rest is still just on the install, oh but if you can possibly find a good deal on 15" blue neon lights for the chevelle (looking at trying to get 6 to 8 lights) that would be most appreciated! and my email is hunterdias83 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1524
honestly man, try ebay

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
Yeah that is my number one stop shop ever! It saves me idk how much money! but it is awesome!!

Thank you!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3171
If you can afford the Axis, it would be a solid choice as well. requires less space too.

The alpha Max are not more spl .. they are meant to take more power and be tuned lower to be VERY musical as well as get loud.

I assume you were referring to San Joaquin Valley, right? I lived about 1 hr from Fresno, as well as in Fresno. Ever Heard of Dos Palos? Los Banos? Merced? lol. I grew up there and moved back to Texas my Sophmore year in H.S. and was happy to do so.. Too many Vato's... If ya know what I mean.. Ileft because I beat two wannabe gangsters to within an inch of their life for trying to r@pe a long time family friend ( she was about 20 years older than me and I heard her crying and screaming from outside while walkinjg home from bus stop). I walked in on them and got the one who was the "lookout" in a one on one (or should I say a "ONE on JUAN"--lmao) situation. I KOed him when he charged me but broke my hand-(boxers fracture) in the process. I had a harder time with the 2nd one because of that. I ended up choking him from behind till he passed out and I almost didn't stop. . I knew that I would have been f'ed up in school eventually so I did what I needed to. I don't miss Cal. too much but I did have some good friend that I still keep in touch with. I was thankfull that they didn't try anything with my mother and sister in revenge but we had the police watching their house for about a month. I still have a terrible lump from the fracture. It sucks but I would have done it again with no regrets.

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
Yes Mark I mean the San Joaquin Valley. It is good to know a local boy is on here
Wow I bet she was happy you were coming home that day from the bus; any other decision of going home it might've been ugly for her. Yeah I know what you mean there are a ton of Vato's that think they're all hard and what not. Get them alone and they're pu$$y's but they try to sucker you in to they're "posy" to out number you. I think that was a smart decision to leave to Texas. If i would have known you back then I would have helped you kick their @ss! Those kinds of people piss me off!! And they all think we owe them and want hand outs and get things for free, freakin work for a change! How do you keep them Vato's from crossing the boarder over there in Texas? 50 cal machine guns??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us