Tuning Freq.

Bronze Member
Username: Texaslegend903

Post Number: 16
How do you know what freq. a ported box is tuned at? i have a 6 cf box with a 6x10 port. the port is 14.5 inches deep. I built it to these specs because that is what kicker told me would be best for my truck. any idea what frequency that is?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3111
kicker normally recommends 45 hz for the daily box, and 60 hz for the SPL only box. iirc That was for the solo X subs though.
what sub were you reffering to?

but your is tuned to ~36 hz.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1600
if u get a cd that plays just tones u can watch ur subs. as u play the lows the subs will have a large excersion. as u play higher it will move less and less until i hits a note and it looks like the speaker is not moving at all. then as u play higher u will see it starts to move more again
the note that the sub moves less is what ur tuned too.

its a simple test and i think a lot of people don't know about that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i was reffering to a solo x 18... and thanks dblk, i didnt know that. sounds like an easy enough test. Is the freq its tuned at going to be the loudest freq the speaker can hit?

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1745
Your box is tuned to 35.9hz

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1603
the freq its tuned at is usually not the loudest. that all depends on a combination of the box and car and a million other small things

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1604
the freq its tuned at is usually not the loudest. that all depends on a combination of the box and car and a million other small things

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
so you guys say that it is tuned somewhere around 36hz... does that have any significance? put the freq on the amp close to 36? i am just wondering...

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1609
if u tune lower i will hit the lows better and i think a lower tuned box sounds better. if u tune higher it will more than likly do better on a meter, that is if ur going to comps.

36 i am guessing is what the say u should tune ur sub to for best output and stil sounding good

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
well does the tuned freq depend on the size and depth of the port? is there a formula to figure it out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i actually decided to change the size of the box... i called kicker again and told them i was in it for SPL. They said 10cf with a 150 square inch port would be the best... any idea what freq that is?

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1616
use this! try to make a big arrow port or many ports. what kind of car is this in?

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

u need to find a tl mic. then u can do a sweep and cut an inch off the port and soon u will find something that is pretty good for spl.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1617
use this! try to make a big arrow port or many ports. what kind of car is this in?

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

u need to find a tl mic. then u can do a sweep and cut an inch off the port and soon u will find something that is pretty good for spl.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3116
Dont listen to him.. Do you want the Solo X 18 for burps only? Or for a daily setup? If I give you the specs for the SPL only (competition) you will not be able to play music with low bass w/o taking a chance on damaging the sub. A daily setup with a lower tuned enclosure made for more SQ would be my recomendation. It is an 18" Solo X, for christ's sake... It will be loud as long as you have enough power to move the beast. I can design a box for the 18" if you like... I need to know what vehicle and the max dimentions of the space where the box will fit.. Also how much power you are providing for the sub.. This is for free of course. .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us