Car Alternator Help

Username: Stu022488

Post Number: 1
Alright i bought an alternator from Mr. Alternator a 150amp HO alt for a 2002 nissan frontier. Anyways its putting out less than an amp of power and isnt charging my battery at all. I put my old one back in and its working fine ill give you cliffs of what happened as i think it will be easier to read

Put new alternator in
-4 days later battery died and wasnt charging
-bought new battery, voltmeter was reading battery at 12.7 volts when engine was off and 12.8 when it was on
-had new alternator tested at auto zone and was reading less than 1 amp
-took the car to midas and had them recheck the installation and they said it was fine and the electrical wiring and systems was fine they also gave me a printout of the alternator putting out less that 1 amp they ruled it a bad alternator
-took the new alternator out and put my old one back in the voltmeter read 12.92 volts when car was off and 14.5 when car was on
-took new alternator to autozone and had it tested inside on their machine and they ruled everything in the alternator was good but the machine dosnt give readings on the amount of amps it puts out
-I had the old alternator tested at auto zone and it was putting out the factory 65 amps its supposed to

(note new alternator means the one that i ordered from mr alternator; old alternator means the one that came with my car)

So what do you think it could possibly be. Should i reinstall the new alt and try it again or should i send it back and have them look at it. The problem with sending it back though is again i have to wait and ill have to pay shipping. Do you think it would be worth the time to put it back and try it out again and what do you think is wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Stu022488

Post Number: 2
what made me wonder about i is because although they said the alternator was bad because it wasnt putting out any amps the machine in auto zone after i took it out said everything in the alternator was fine but the machine inside dosnt read the amps the alternator puts out

Username: Res1ubc2

Lafayette, Indiana United States

Post Number: 1
voltage regulator is bad in the new alt.
alt. should put out 13 to 15 volts not amps, it charges the battery by voltage output not the amps. the one u got frommr. alt was bad
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us